Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yoo
    as I can imagine most of us are really excited for September. so I wanted to make a threads where we can just discuss that. Start off by saying what course you're doing, which accommodation you're hoping to grab and what you're looking forward to about Sussex.Hopefully it'll make things a little easier when we start in September.

I'll go first...
    I'm studying computer science with artificial intelligence (after changing from the regular course), at first I really wanted an en suite room, but after visiting a couple of my friends at various uni's I've come to the conclusion that shared bathroom accommodation is just a lot more social. I don't know why, but it is what it is, so really I'm hoping I can get brighthelm or eastslope (if I get eastslope my account is gone be BOOMIN). I've visited Sussex a couple times, and I can say the social side on campus (especially with Brighton just around the corner) and night life are really really good. So I'm really looking forward to just living in Brighton. and obviously comp is dope so that too.what about you guys???

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be studying Music Technology; most of my interests within the area are more science based though. I am wondering how interdisciplinary the course will be as I am eager to get quite heavily into computer science and physics in regards to audio. I did go to the talks on Saturday but it was a bit vague about some things. I don't know much about the housing options and I'll need to look into it soon. The library is probably the aspect I'm most looking forward to; it was very peaceful and inspiring when I had a look around it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am a current Student at Sussex uni doing Physics, if you have any questions then I can try to answer them

Just quote this comment so I get a notification

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dancatpro)
    Hi I am a current Student at Sussex uni doing Physics, if you have any questions then I can try to answer them

Hello! I've applied for physics and have firmed Sussex! Do you find that the physics department are sociable and it's easy to make friends? Everyone seemed really friendly at the applicant day but I'm worried that the physics and maths students will all be unsociable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Francesca2212)
    Hello! I've applied for physics and have firmed Sussex! Do you find that the physics department are sociable and it's easy to make friends? Everyone seemed really friendly at the applicant day but I'm worried that the physics and maths students will all be unsociable!
    Hello!

The one thing I love about Sussex is that everyone is friendly!

Every physics student I have encountered has been friendly, some are a little more shy but friendly nonetheless.

In my first 2 terms at Sussex I have had ONE interaction that wasn't friendly, some guy interrupted me while I was answering a question and then he was proven wrong in front of everyone. I remember this so vividly as it was the only time anyone had ever been not friendly or impolite.

The staff are all friendly and will help you out if you ask (the thing about uni is if you go to ask for help you can sail through everything, it's only hard if you go it alone).

There are a lot more boys than girls doing physics but there is a decent amount of girls so don't worry about that too much.

You have some geeky people, some people with dress sense, some people who skip a lot of lectures (although if you miss more than 1 in 5 then the physics office get a little grumpy), some people who love sports, etc..

There are lots of Physics society (called Q-soc (don't ask me why)) events to go to and it's really easy to go out with a bunch of people anyway. After a lecture it's easy to ask if they want to meet up later or go out for a drink.

If I didn't quite hit the nail on the head with that then just hit me up with another reply or message.

I am super happy to answer any other questions you have about Sussex!

ReputationRep:

Thanks, daughter is hoping to do Theoretical Physics MPhys in Sept.
    How have you found the transition from A-Level to degree? Was there much of a learning curve to get up to speed and was that supported by the staff or were students expected to put the work in to catch up themselves due to any difference of ability.
    How are you finding contact time with staff? Do they provide enough support to you when needed, and are lectures engaging rather than a borefest?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colinj451)
    Thanks, daughter is hoping to do Theoretical Physics MPhys in Sept.
    How have you found the transition from A-Level to degree? Was there much of a learning curve to get up to speed and was that supported by the staff or were students expected to put the work in to catch up themselves due to any difference of ability.
    How are you finding contact time with staff? Do they provide enough support to you when needed, and are lectures engaging rather than a borefest?
    Thanks
    "How have you found the transition from A-Level to degree?"

Difficulty has not been much of a problem, the first half of a term is getting everyone to the same level.

"Was there much of a learning curve to get up to speed and was that supported by the staff or were students expected to put the work in to catch up themselves due to any difference of ability."

At A level I did maths mechanics so there was a lots of maths statistics stuff I did not know, The vice versa was also true, people had done stats but not mechanics.

So as I already said the first term is getting everyone up to the same level, no "extra" work was required but obviously everyone has to do the coursework and there is extra material available at any time if you want it.

The staff are also extra supportive, you can go to them to ask help with anything and they will help you out!

"How are you finding contact time with staff? Do they provide enough support to you when needed, and are lectures engaging rather than a borefest?"

They certainly give you enough support, more than you could ever ask for, but you can't be afraid to go for help!

Lectures can be a little boring but only if the lecturer is boring AND the topic is boring.

I'd say 80% of my lectures are very engaging and know how to keep us interested in the lecture. And the other 20% that aren't so engaging .... well that's the same at every university to be honest.

Extra:

Everyone does exactly the same stuff in the first term except 1 module (astrophysics vs modern physics), this is great to make friends and get to know people in your lectures

Feel free to ask me any more questions

ReputationRep:
    "How have you found the transition from A-Level to degree?"

Extra:

Everyone does exactly the same stuff in the first term except 1 module (astrophysics vs modern physics), this is great to make friends and get to know people in your lectures

Feel free to ask me any more questions
    Thank you for that, excellent review. Sounds like you are getting on well. I know that it'll be the modern physics module she'll be looking at

What is the size of the year group that you're in?

Overall you are enjoying your year? Accomodation, societies etc?

I think my daughter is just looking forward to getting away from me wittering at her about university haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colinj451)
    Thank you for that, excellent review. Sounds like you are getting on well. I know that it'll be the modern physics module she'll be looking at

What is the size of the year group that you're in?

Overall you are enjoying your year? Accommodation, societies etc?

I think my daughter is just looking forward to getting away from me wittering at her about university haha
    Year group size is about 120 (don't quote me on that)

I am certainly enjoying the year, however I start my final (and hardest) term tomorrow!

Societies-wise I joined a few but haven't attended as many events as I would have liked, there is really something for everyone though!

Accommodation-wise I chose Park Village, it's cheap but survivable.

Also accommodation wise I was offered a room on campus for my second year (fairly unusual) and as I cannot be bothered to commute so I will take them up on that offer, I will probably live in Park Village again as I am not made of money and I have survived 2 terms here already haven't I?

To help calm the nerves about getting the grades you might want to tell her about what happened to the accepted grades last year:

I was given an unconditional offer (after being offered AAA) and I accepted it. I was still aiming for AAA but everyone's grades dropped that year and I fell to ABB (A: physics, B's in maths and computing). During clearing the grades they were asking for dropped to BBC !!! So even if she drops a grade or two she will probably still get in, however always do the best you can do obviously .

Again, any more questions about anything just ask

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info, I believe that she should be good for BBB without too much issue (retaking S1 in Maths & her EMPA and Physics 1 AS) as she got BB(Maths & Biology) & C for Physics

I am hoping she does as well as she is capable of and doesn't have to look at clearing, with the firm offer of ABB for Sussex and given what you have said (subject to yearly variation of course I hope she gets in and gets settled there.

It was certainly my favourite physics department of the open days we went on

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 3, 2016
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.