Turn on thread page Beta

Expressing the volume and area in terms of x and y??? watch

ReputationRep:
    I always have trouble with these types of questions where you have to express the volume and area in terms of x and y!! This is definitely one of the questions I struggle on the most. Below is an example of the type of questions I get stuck on. Are there any good video tutorials on YouTube about these types of questions? (I've already checked the tutorials on Exam Solutions but only basic examples are given). Someone please help me

Click to enlarge picture below...
    Name:  Expressing the Volume and Area.png
Views: 80
Size:  54.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    I always have trouble with these types of questions where you have to express the volume and area in terms of x and y!! This is definitely one of the questions I struggle on the most. Below is an example of the type of questions I get stuck on. Are there any good video tutorials on YouTube about these types of questions? (I've already checked the tutorials on Exam Solutions but only basic examples are given). Someone please help me

just use the formula of the volume of a trapezium and then multiply in by the "thickness" of the shape (which is y) and set it equal to 900

Edit; nevermind i misunderstood the shape

Edit 2: ... its actually fine, the advice is okay

ReputationRep:
    The area of a rectangle is the width multiplied by the height, this holds even if they are functions of x and/or y. :-)

ReputationRep:

When I first started practicing them, I just replaced x and y with simple values. Then, every time I did a calculation with them, I left it as multiples of these values (I also circled the values). It meant I was doing normal maths, then at the end just rub out all the values and replace with x's and y's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    The area of a rectangle is the width multiplied by the height, this holds even if they are functions of x and/or y. :-)
    Yeah that's true. But I got stuck on how to work out the cross-sectional area of the trapezium and had trouble working out the length of the sloping sides (took me ages to figure out that I needed to use the Sine rule).

I'm slowly starting to realise that I'm no where near ready for my exams in the summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    When I first started practicing them, I just replaced x and y with simple values. Then, every time I did a calculation with them, I left it as multiples of these values (I also circled the values). It meant I was doing normal maths, then at the end just rub out all the values and replace with x's and y's.
    I too find myself doing that! It is a great technique to learn, but I worry I won't have time for things like that if I stumble across some difficulty in the exams

ReputationRep:
    I too find myself doing that! It is a great technique to learn, but I worry I won't have time for things like that if I stumble across some difficulty in the exams
    With practice you'll learn. Once you fully get your head around the idea that algebra is just a letter representing a number, and therefore nothing changes at all, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the proper name for these types of questions? It's definitely something I need to practice but Only come across these past paper questions every so often
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Does anyone know the proper name for these types of questions? It's definitely something I need to practice but Only come across these past paper questions every so often
    They are usually part of a topic titled "Solving problems using turning points" or something similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    They are usually part of a topic titled "Solving problems using turning points" or something similar.
    Thaaaaank you!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 16, 2016
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.