Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are there many fellow mature students starting in 2016? What are you studying, what's your story?

I got my conditional offer today for Interior Design. Conditional on completion of the foundation course I'm currently doing.

I'm 26 and unsure what route to go in terms of accommodation as I think I'd be best living with fellow mature students/folk my age. Halls, private renting? I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming you're the Pint in the Union girl. Not many of us mature students seem that active on social media alas despite knowing there are quite a few of us about.

Regardless, I'm 29 and I'll be doing TESOL & Japanese. I'm in the YSJ Central accommodation room 304, we have 1 room left in our flat would be nice if a fellow mature student got it. I'll be in Japan for my second year so I went Uni accommodation for the first year to make things easier.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I'm 22 and will be studying psychology in September. I will be staying in halls and when you apply you can choose to be put with other mature students

ReputationRep:
    I'll be 26 when we start in September and I'll be studying Computer Science. I'm just staying in halls for the first year but I decided I don't mind living with 18 year olds, I kind of missed out on that part of my life. Good to see there's a few other mature students about!

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, I might go with halls then - it seems the most straight forward option for first year. I kinda did the student lifestyle in my late teens, early twenties so prefer a slightly quieter environment, and then off to the pub on weekends. I remember the sheer amount of partying when you first move out at 18!

Good to see there's a few of us!

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm a mature student (22 when I start TESOL and Japanese course) I've read through a lot of the posts and seems to be a lot of mature students at this university!

ReputationRep:
    im 23 in a week and i started last year but i do my degree online for convenience

ReputationRep:
    heck, I'm doing tesol and Japanese too! I'll be 25/26 (my birthdays in September) when we start. I'm in percys lane 😊

ReputationRep:
    Finally some of my TESOL & JP classmates pop their heads up! Looks like there are a lot of matures in our class. Fun times! I hope everyone is ready for one hell of a rollercoaster first year

ReputationRep:
    Where's everyone living? I'll be in Grays Whatf flat 19

ReputationRep:
    I'm in YSJ Central room 304 :> I'll be 30 when we start and my flat mates are all <18 lol. Fun times.... yeah, fun times.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I'm sure it won't be too bad. I haven't found any flat mates yet!

ReputationRep:
    Fingers crossed yeah, they all seem nice we have a little group chat going. None of them can cook so I feel like I'll be cooking, making them all sit down and eat proper meals. I don't want kids...

but really, nice people luckily. I was a little worried but like you said I'm sure it will be fine. Once you have your accommodation offer you can join the facebook page for your place and try to find other people in your flat/house.

ReputationRep:
    Haha just leave them to it! How did you manage to find them all anyway?

Edit: ahh yeh I have found the accommodation page for my bit but still can't find anyone!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in York SJ Central, which accommodation are you in? Anyway I think each place has it's own facebook. Just go on there then in the page search type your number or flat letter or whatever and hopefully anyone else posting with that will appear! It's nice :> I think we're missing 1 person in our flat so far. It's nice to get to know them before you go.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be in Percy's Lane. I have joined the Facebook group, just still can't find anyone yet.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm going to be a first year again nearly 22 when I start (I've changed courses) but I'm currently living in limes and I've met quite a few more mature students living here too. I've also got on really well with the 18/19 year olds that I live with and in the other houses of limes. I'll be moving in with 5 of them next year. I'm sure you'll all fit in either way young or old everyone has been very welcoming Now I just have to find freshers starting sport science in September.

ReputationRep:
    Room available from 22nd August. Single room with a 3/4 bed. 10 minutes walk from York St. John's and city centre. 3 bedroom house, 1 bathroom with a good sized yard. Will be sharing with two 26 year old first year females so ideally we are looking for another mature student to join us. Rent is £69 per week, bills not included. Message me for more details

ReputationRep:
    Im Grays Wharf doing TESOL and JP, 31 in September as well, you guys already making me feel old haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pilgrim77)
    Are there many fellow mature students starting in 2016? What are you studying, what's your story?

I got my conditional offer today for Interior Design. Conditional on completion of the foundation course I'm currently doing.

I'm 26 and unsure what route to go in terms of accommodation as I think I'd be best living with fellow mature students/folk my age. Halls, private renting? I don't know.
    I'm 26 too. I'll be joining on the occupational therapy course and i can't wait! I think halls would probably be best as you could request to be put in a mature flat.

P.s. does it noy freak you would to refer to yourself as mature (I'm still 18 in my head)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 4, 2016

University open days

1. York St John University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.