Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is a graduate trainee engineer job? I'm on target for 2.2, is this the only opti watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Post.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It's probably just another name for a graduate engineer, trainee engineer, junior engineer, assistant engineer etc. The job description should provide more information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    It's probably just another name for a graduate engineer, trainee engineer, junior engineer, assistant engineer etc. The job description should provide more information.
    Smack can you even get into the oil and gas sector with a 2.2 BEng? Also what is the salary progression for an average engineer in oil 5,10,20,30 years down the line assuming they move on to more senior roles?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Youngman2012)
    Smack can you even get into the oil and gas sector with a 2.2 BEng?
    Yes, but probably not at the moment...

Also what is the salary progression for an average engineer in oil 5,10,20,30 years down the line assuming they move on to more senior roles?
    Depends entirely on the role, the demand for the role (demand for different disciplines changes over time), staff or contractor, how often they have moved around, and other factors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Yes, but probably not at the moment...

Depends entirely on the role, the demand for the role (demand for different disciplines changes over time), staff or contractor, how often they have moved around, and other factors.
    Any estimates?

Just so I have an idea of expectations.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Any estimates?

Just so I have an idea of expectations.
    Are you expecting a job in oil?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Are you expecting a job in oil?
    Yes, i'm looking to get into oil once the oil industry recovers.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes, i'm looking to get into oil once the oil industry recovers.
    I can't predict what salaries will be at then, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I can't predict what salaries will be at then, unfortunately.
    Any idea of roles older engineers (Mechanical/Chemical/Electrical) have moved onto and were earning before the oil prices drop?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Any idea of roles older engineers (Mechanical/Chemical/Electrical) have moved onto and were earning before the oil prices drop?
    Contractors were getting between £500-£1000 per day in the golden years. Dependent on position, seniority etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Contractors were getting between £500-£1000 per day in the golden years. Dependent on position, seniority etc.
    Wow, the golden times should come back right? Oil prices can't stay low forever.
    Can a graduate engineer be expecting 40k after 3-5 years in the game?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wow, the golden times should come back right? Oil prices can't stay low forever.
    Yes but there probably won't be the same amount of projects on the go which will mean far less pressure on contract rates. Companies will be a lot more cost concious.

Can a graduate engineer be expecting 40k after 3-5 years in the game?
    I dunno.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.