Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I hate my Psychology degree and I'm about to finish my second year. I took a year out for medical reasons and have known for a while that i would much rather be studying Biology or Chemistry. The reason i didn't apply to these was because i left school early and had to go to college to get qualifications (not knowing what i would like to do at university). I'm 24 and don't want to spend another 5 years doing a different subject, but i also don't want to spend two years feeling like i'm wasting my time.

Has anyone else been in my situation, or have advice on how to pursue a more biological/chemical career after psycholgy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GaryM92)
    I hate my Psychology degree and I'm about to finish my second year. I took a year out for medical reasons and have known for a while that i would much rather be studying Biology or Chemistry. The reason i didn't apply to these was because i left school early and had to go to college to get qualifications (not knowing what i would like to do at university). I'm 24 and don't want to spend another 5 years doing a different subject, but i also don't want to spend two years feeling like i'm wasting my time.

Has anyone else been in my situation, or have advice on how to pursue a more biological/chemical career after psycholgy?
    If you really don't like your degree and don't feel you're going to get any use of it, there's not much point in continuing imo, if you've found a degree that you'd much prefer, go for it! 5 years may sound alike a long time but it's never too late to change your plans and if it's something you really want to do, it's worth it surely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    If you really don't like your degree and don't feel you're going to get any use of it, there's not much point in continuing imo, if you've found a degree that you'd much prefer, go for it! 5 years may sound alike a long time but it's never too late to change your plans and if it's something you really want to do, it's worth it surely
    It is something i really want to do but if i stick in with Psychology i can do a masters in brain science and get lab experience, or go in to business analysis. I'm really torn between going back or sticking with psych!

ReputationRep:
    It is something i really want to do but if i stick in with Psychology i can do a masters in brain science and get lab experience, or go in to business analysis. I'm really torn between going back or sticking with psych!
    If it's really a 50/50 situation, it might be a good idea to speak to your advisor at the Uni but like I said, do what you think would make you happiest in the future

ReputationRep:
    As you know yourself, the uni is extremely flexible, so speak with your advisor or look at the 'what-if scenario' on MyGlasgow perhaps?

If you don't like your degree, stop doing it. You'll only regret leaving with a 2:2 because you weren't motivated enough to work for your degree.

Glasgow offers one of the best regarded and most competitive Psychology programs in the UK, if you don't want it - step aside and give someone who does want it a shot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    As you know yourself, the uni is extremely flexible, so speak with your advisor or look at the 'what-if scenario' on MyGlasgow perhaps?

If you don't like your degree, stop doing it. You'll only regret leaving with a 2:2 because you weren't motivated enough to work for your degree.

Glasgow offers one of the best regarded and most competitive Psychology programs in the UK, if you don't want it - step aside and give someone who does want it a shot.
    Dropping out of my degree because i'm not interested in it isn't that simple. The financial and long-term repercussions of not having a degree/starting a different degree could easily outweigh just finishing my psychology degree; That's what i'm having trouble with.

Actually since i'm doing arts its not very flexible at all. I pretty much have to go back to college to gain entry in to any science degree. Also, dropping out wouldn't give anyone else a place in honours since anyone who achieves the requirements will gain entry and those who don't rarely gain entry to honours.

It has such high regard and is so competitive because anyone who isn't going to get a first or 2:1 isn't allowed entry to honours, not because of its outstanding curriculum.

ReputationRep:
    Dropping out of my degree because i'm not interested in it isn't that simple. The financial and long-term repercussions of not having a degree/starting a different degree could easily outweigh just finishing my psychology degree; That's what i'm having trouble with.

Actually since i'm doing arts its not very flexible at all. I pretty much have to go back to college to gain entry in to any science degree. Also, dropping out wouldn't give anyone else a place in honours since anyone who achieves the requirements will gain entry and those who don't rarely gain entry to honours.

It has such high regard and is so competitive because anyone who isn't going to get a first or 2:1 isn't allowed entry to honours, not because of its outstanding curriculum.
    Gary - it is that simple. It's you that's overcomplicating it worrying aboutage or studying for an extra year or two. You either crawl through a degree youdon't want and risk finishing with a substandard degree and being miserable -or you go back to the start and do something you like. The grey areas aresubjective and obstacles you're creating yourself.

If you're in second year, dropping out and giving your 3rd year place upcould potentially give someone else a place on junior honours who's pickedPsychology (& statistics) as a minor alongside their major for the firsttwo years of their degree who may wish to change.

And no, it's in such high regard because of consistently high rankings(which can be taking with a pinch of salt - but imply an outstandingcurriculum) and job prospects. Not forgetting supply and demand (there arearound 100+ students per year admitted on to the course who won't make it on tohonours with the rest of their class based on physical space alone).

You're doing quant courses, speak with your advisor about your options. Ican't imagine 2 years at University would be written off so easily.

Out of curiosity, are you hitting the benchmark for junior honours?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.