The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geography A2 Unit 4: Life on the Margins- 16th June 2016

So saw this for a thread last year on a different topic and thought it might be helpful to have one for this year too:

Explore the political, socio-economic and environmental factors which may contribute to inequalities in food supply.

Research contrasting locations at different scales to demonstrate a range of reasons for both famines and food surpluses.

What do you think of the pre-release?
What possible questions could there be?
Which case studies/diagrams should we use?
What are the best political, socio-economic and environmental factors to use?

(credit to amforsyth)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by thelizzister
So saw this for a thread last year on a different topic and thought it might be helpful to have one for this year too:

Explore the political, socio-economic and environmental factors which may contribute to inequalities in food supply.

Research contrasting locations at different scales to demonstrate a range of reasons for both famines and food surpluses.

What do you think of the pre-release?
What possible questions could there be?
Which case studies/diagrams should we use?
What are the best political, socio-economic and environmental factors to use?

(credit to amforsyth)

I think the pre-release has been pretty good though its the first time in a while that the term surplus has been used so I think that'll be prominent in the question. This is the stuff I have for the pre-release so far though.
Reply 2
Anyone have any clue about the Tectonic's part of Unit 4? Such a **** pre release
Original post by w4keup_
I think the pre-release has been pretty good though its the first time in a while that the term surplus has been used so I think that'll be prominent in the question. This is the stuff I have for the pre-release so far though.

thanks! this is a great start and really helpful:biggrin:
Reply 4
"Assess the extent towhich socio-economic factors are the greatest cause of food supply inequalities."

How would you structure this report? By case study or by socio-economic, political then environmental? Which way would be best for 'assessing' and what might be the best factors and case studies to talk about?
Reply 5
Original post by Ani25
"Assess the extent to which socio-economic factors are the greatest cause of food supply inequalities."

How would you structure this report? By case study or by socio-economic, political then environmental? Which way would be best for 'assessing' and what might be the best factors and case studies to talk about?

I would do both, I would use the sub headings of socio-economic, political and environmental then i'd do subheadings within the factors of surpluses and famines so that the case studies fall naturally into their categories and I'd mention China for sure given the distinct difference between rural and urban areas and maybe the USA for the political factors of capitalism affecting poverty within one of the most developed countries. I'd also go for HIV as a reason for famine in Zimbabwe and perhaps even go for the Indian caste system, using the recent example of the higher castes shutting off water to Delhi in February meaning that they effectively were starved of both water and food for reasons beyond their control.
Reply 6
Has anyone got any good case studies explaining why there's a food surplus in the given region?
Reply 7
Original post by aemd
Has anyone got any good case studies explaining why there's a food surplus in the given region?

This video explains why urban China has such a surplus/obesity problem pretty well, we use the book written by the guy in the video in class https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U-VcycncpA
Reply 8
Original post by w4keup_
This video explains why urban China has such a surplus/obesity problem pretty well, we use the book written by the guy in the video in class https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U-VcycncpA

I've made some notes on that video if anyone wants them.

Edit: I've also put w4keup_'s pdf notes into a word doc (I prefer word doc) plus I've attempted Jan 2010 question, please take it with a pinch of salt as I basically winged it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by DomP
I've made some notes on that video if anyone wants them.

Edit: I've also put w4keup_'s pdf notes into a word doc (I prefer word doc) plus I've attempted Jan 2010 question, please take it with a pinch of salt as I basically winged it.

Where did you get your definitions of food supply and food supply inequality?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by KikiB17
Where did you get your definitions of food supply and food supply inequality?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teacher
Reply 11
I think if you need a name to put on the definitions its Dunn et al. 2009, its the name on our textbooks and its the same definition we have as Dom has
Original post by DomP
My teacher
Reply 12
Original post by w4keup_
I think if you need a name to put on the definitions its Dunn et al. 2009, its the name on our textbooks and its the same definition we have as Dom has

Thanks! Which textbook is it in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by KikiB17
Thanks! Which textbook is it in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe it's the Edexcel A2 Geography Textbook by Sue Warn (Author), David Holmes (Author), Bob Hordern (Author), Michael Witherick (Author), Cameron Dunn (Author), Simon Oakes (Author), Nigel Yates (Author), Andy Palmer (Author), Kim Adams (Author), Dulcie Knifton (Author).
Quite a few authors (Source:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Geography-Textbook-Sue-Warn/dp/0340949546)
Reply 14
Original post by DomP
I believe it's the Edexcel A2 Geography Textbook by Sue Warn (Author), David Holmes (Author), Bob Hordern (Author), Michael Witherick (Author), Cameron Dunn (Author), Simon Oakes (Author), Nigel Yates (Author), Andy Palmer (Author), Kim Adams (Author), Dulcie Knifton (Author).
Quite a few authors (Source:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Geography-Textbook-Sue-Warn/dp/0340949546)

Oh thanks! I couldn't find it in that one but maybe it's just me not looking properly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyones teacher predicted the Unit 4 question?
Reply 16
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
Has anyones teacher predicted the Unit 4 question?

My teacher thinks it'll be 'socio-economic factors are the most influential factors in food production' discuss (socio-economic being interchangeable for political or environmental) or something to do with surpluses given that the term surplus apparently hasn't been mentioned in a pre-release since 2011 up until this year.
Reply 17
Just starting to work on this unit now :smile: Anyone got any more good case studies?
Do you think it'd be better to work on a lot of case studies or just a few detailed ones? I really don't feel like i know anything about this exam, any tips?
Hey guys!
I don't know if this will help anyone but I've attached images of the mark scheme for the same pre-release question that was worded differently a few years back.
csff.jpg
Attachment not found

Also, I think it's important to remember the question is not asking you about food security but food supply.

Remember supply focuses on PRODUCTION and DISTRIBUTION.
do you need to only focus on food supply ie. how much food countries produce and how efficiently?

Quick Reply