Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are some parents so concerned with whether their child is a virgin or not? In my opinion it's quite annoying and I don't think it should define anyone...

ReputationRep:
    I guess I ask the same question? However, never encountered that one before.

ReputationRep:
    My parents have never been bothered lol, if you're not an adult then fair enough and I do believe parents should educate their children so maybe in that respect but if you're an adult why do they care?

(Original post by Blondie987)
    My parents have never been bothered lol, if you're not an adult then fair enough and I do believe parents should educate their children so maybe in that respect but if you're an adult why do they care?
    That's the thing, i'm 20 but my mum seems to be more into the sex talk since I've been in a relationship with my current boyfriend. But there's so much she does not know.. but my virginity seems to be a huge importance to her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why are some parents so concerned with whether their child is a virgin or not? In my opinion it's quite annoying and I don't think it should define anyone...
    I think its a question that many would ask, and we wouldn't know the answer unless we were a parent ourselves. I've never been asked about this though. I think it has something to do with purity, but like I said, we wouldn't as we're not parents ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    That's the thing, i'm 20 but my mum seems to be more into the sex talk since I've been in a relationship with my current boyfriend. But there's so much she does not know.. but my virginity seems to be a huge importance to her.
    As in staying a vrigin? Is she old fashioned? I guess I could understand it if she were but if you're uncomfortable with it, just tell her that you respect yourself and a re mature enough to make your own decisions regarding such a private matter and that you would appreciate it if she didn't continue to bring it up

ReputationRep:
    They don't.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I guess we'll never truly understand what it's like to have a child and how protective you can feel of them until you have one yourself.

I'd feel pretty uncomfortable if I had children and they were having sex with people that they weren't in serious relationships with, mostly for their own wellbeing.

ReputationRep:
    I think that once they reach 18, they usually don't care. Well they shouldn't anyway.

(Original post by loveleest)
    I think that once they reach 18, they usually don't care. Well they shouldn't anyway.
    Yeah, they shouldn't I agree.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.