Which A Levels should I take? English based... Watch

brennanlee
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My main passion is English particularly writing and that's what I want to do when I'm older; something along the lines of journalism.

I'm definitely doing Philosophy and English Lang&Lit combined, but I don't know about the other two... My options are:

Govt & Politics
Psychology
Creative writing
Geography

Ideally I would quite like to do creative writing and drop it at A2 but im not 100% sure. I'm quite political and not very scientific/mathsy just thought psychology sounded interesting. And idk about Geography bc ive heard it's very hard and again, I'm much more essay based than anything else.

Can you help *_*

(Also, do you think I should do English combined or English lit? Because i really love language hence the journalism but heard lit was 'better' i just think id enjoy combined more)
Abstract_Prism
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would advise Lit rather than combined.

And do Geography and Politics.

Personally, I would go for Lit, History, Politics, and perhaps Media if you want to do Journalism.
undercxver
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by brennanlee)
My main passion is English particularly writing and that's what I want to do when I'm older; something along the lines of journalism.

I'm definitely doing Philosophy and English Lang&Lit combined, but I don't know about the other two... My options are:

Govt & Politics
Psychology
Creative writing
Geography

Ideally I would quite like to do creative writing and drop it at A2 but im not 100% sure. I'm quite political and not very scientific/mathsy just thought psychology sounded interesting. And idk about Geography bc ive heard it's very hard and again, I'm much more essay based than anything else.

Can you help *_*

(Also, do you think I should do English combined or English lit? Because i really love language hence the journalism but heard lit was 'better' i just think id enjoy combined more)
Hey,

I think if you chose Government and Politics and Creative Writing it would be best suited towards a Journalism degree. As you said dropping Creative writing would be a good idea. A journalism degree usually doesn't ask for any other A Levels other than English, so for now you don't have to worry since you are sure you are doing the English Language and Literature combined A Level.

I would highly recommend just going for what you enjoy really. You can follow my suggestionsbut regardless you need to understand by researching to see what will you enjoy the most. It's easier to do well if you enjoy it.

Good luck!
bigfat-tiger
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
doing geography can lead to other career paths like ba urban planning etc but if you are set on a single career path that you have chosen then politics is a good subject and more easy than geography.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.23%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.35%
Not great so far... (251)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed