Turn on thread page Beta

Tl;dr - I have had a string of liars/bad men, why is this happening and how can I stop it?

I've been dating for a while and Im looking for something lasting and serious but for some reason I just keep running into liars.

My last 4 encounters went something like this:

Guy 1: met through uni friends, we dated for about 6 months. He was secretly dependent on weed and lied to me about it. When I realised, I ended it. He seemed upset but then a week later he had a new girlfriend.

Guy 2: met him on a dating site, we got on really well and had a great date. He mentioned his ex who he had been with for 7 years and had recently split up with. I decided not to go on a second date because I got the feeling he wasn't over her. Later I found out he had had another girlfriend (not the 7 year one) the entire time, not sure why he went on a date with me as it was quite clearly cheating. He's now married.

Guy 3: met him at school, ran into him on a dating site. He had listed 'Looking for a long term relationship'. We were getting on really well, until he said his 'head was really messed up at the moment and he didn't see himself falling in love or being in a relationship' - basically had been lying/acting like he wanted a relationship but just wanted easy sex.

Guy 4: met at work on an induction day, got on well but I never gave him my details or anything. Forgot about it until I got an email from him a couple of days later saying 'hi Sophie, was really nice to meet you the other day, do you want to go for a coffee sometime?' I said yes. Then he showed up at my work and tried to sit next to me, kept following me around the office, emailing me all day and repeatedly asking me if I wanted to go to lunch. Eventually I said yes to lunch and we are chatting about who we live with and he ends up admitting he lives with his gf. I was shocked.

Basically - what on earth am I doing wrong? I have met these guys in totally different scenarios and yet they've all ended up being dishonest in some way or another. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid these guys and find a nice guy who is honest and straightforward? My friend says there's no such thing as a nice guy anymore so I shouldn't hold out hope for something that doesn't exist. Help!

ReputationRep:
    No, but that might be a lie. I'm not a liar.

ReputationRep:
    I am a guy and I lie. Difference between myself and others is that I'm actually good at it.

Nothing you can do to avoid it really.

ngl here now.
    you know I didn't used to think this but after experiencing male specimens I must disagree with myself.
    Wallah even the best guys, they lie. They lie for like NO REASON AT ALL. It's so ****ing dumb.I don't know why. I hate that this is true but it just is. Ask even the most angelic guy...

Men lie, they just do. They always blame women for speaking too much or for chatting ****, when boys come out with the most crap usually to get what they want. But it's that when they chat sit it's not in public or it's in non-educational settings or situations so no-one really takes notice. More private places or TO someone.

Spoiler:
    Show
    some boys don't lie. SOME.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    ngl here now.
    you know I didn't used to think this but after experiencing male specimens I must disagree with myself.
    Wallah even the best guys, they lie. They lie for like NO REASON AT ALL. It's so ****ing dumb.I don't know why. I hate that this is true but it just is. Ask even the most angelic guy...

Men lie, they just do. They always blame women for speaking too much or for chatting ****, when boys come out with the most crap usually to get what they want. But it's that when they chat sit it's not in public or it's in non-educational settings or situations so no-one really takes notice. More private places or TO someone.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    some boys don't lie. SOME.
    wallahi fam

ReputationRep:
    Well everyone lies but it sounds like you're getting involved with bad guys, there are good ones out there though, I assure you

(Original post by Synonym)
    wallahi fam
    are you somali?

ReputationRep:
    are you somali?
    no

ReputationRep:
    do men lie all the time ? no

do men lie to try and get casual sex? yes

I think everyone is a liar really, regardless of gender.

ReputationRep:
    Tl;dr - I have had a string of liars/bad men, why is this happening and how can I stop it?

I've been dating for a while and Im looking for something lasting and serious but for some reason I just keep running into liars.

Guy 1: met through uni friends, we dated for about 6 months. He was secretly dependent on weed and lied to me about it. When I realised, I ended it. He seemed upset but then a week later he had a new girlfriend.

Guy 2: met him on a dating site, we got on really well and had a great date. He mentioned his ex who he had been with for 7 years and had recently split up with. I decided not to go on a second date because I got the feeling he wasn't over her. Later I found out he had had another girlfriend (not the 7 year one) the entire time, not sure why he went on a date with me as it was quite clearly cheating. He's now married.

Guy 3: met him at school, ran into him on a dating site. He had listed 'Looking for a long term relationship'. We were getting on really well, until he said his 'head was really messed up at the moment and he didn't see himself falling in love or being in a relationship' - basically had been lying/acting like he wanted a relationship but just wanted easy sex.

Guy 4: met at work on an induction day, got on well but I never gave him my details or anything. Forgot about it until I got an email from him a couple of days later saying 'hi Sophie, was really nice to meet you the other day, do you want to go for a coffee sometime?' I said yes. Then he showed up at my work and tried to sit next to me, kept following me around the office, emailing me all day and repeatedly asking me if I wanted to go to lunch. Eventually I said yes to lunch and we are chatting about who we live with and he ends up admitting he lives with his gf. I was shocked.

Basically - what on earth am I doing wrong? I have met these guys in totally different scenarios and yet they've all ended up being dishonest in some way or another. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid these guys and find a nice guy who is honest and straightforward? My friend says there's no such thing as a nice guy anymore so I shouldn't hold out hope for something that doesn't exist. Help!
    Lot's of guys lie. Not all of us though. Women lie too you know?

(Original post by Synonym)
    no
    okay I'll have to hold on to the banana + rice jokes then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    Well everyone lies but it sounds like you're getting involved with bad guys, there are good ones out there though, I assure you
    This:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Look for the degree educated above, types. Because i think that you will find that doing 3/4/6/7 years of education tends to straighten a guy out. It certainly did me Sophie?

ReputationRep:
    No. You just suck at picking men, you can't blame all men for your decisions.

ReputationRep:
    There are guys who lie and get caught and then there are guys who lie and don't get caught.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABsoluteX)
    There are guys who lie and get caught and then there are guys who lie and don't get caught.
    I definitely don't think that's specific to the male gender

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABsoluteX)
    And there are guys that don't know what they are talking about.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely don't think that's specific to the male gender
    Neither do I.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid in many cases men do seem to have a different moral code to women.

Accept this. Don't expect commitment from a man in his 20s.

Date older men. Or become a lesbian.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.