Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Not all men are liars, in the same way not all women are liars. We all have crap experiences when it comes to dating and, unfortunately, you are no exception.

It sounds like you may be attracted to men who aren't really compatible/long-term material. Read your post; all the men you become interest in have similar traits to one another. It'll be worthwhile taking some time to reflect on what draws you to these men and identify how you can go about finding the right type of man.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Tl;dr - I have had a string of liars/bad men, why is this happening and how can I stop it?

I've been dating for a while and Im looking for something lasting and serious but for some reason I just keep running into liars.

My last 4 encounters went something like this:

Guy 1: met through uni friends, we dated for about 6 months. He was secretly dependent on weed and lied to me about it. When I realised, I ended it. He seemed upset but then a week later he had a new girlfriend.

Guy 2: met him on a dating site, we got on really well and had a great date. He mentioned his ex who he had been with for 7 years and had recently split up with. I decided not to go on a second date because I got the feeling he wasn't over her. Later I found out he had had another girlfriend (not the 7 year one) the entire time, not sure why he went on a date with me as it was quite clearly cheating. He's now married.

Guy 3: met him at school, ran into him on a dating site. He had listed 'Looking for a long term relationship'. We were getting on really well, until he said his 'head was really messed up at the moment and he didn't see himself falling in love or being in a relationship' - basically had been lying/acting like he wanted a relationship but just wanted easy sex.

Guy 4: met at work on an induction day, got on well but I never gave him my details or anything. Forgot about it until I got an email from him a couple of days later saying 'hi Sophie, was really nice to meet you the other day, do you want to go for a coffee sometime?' I said yes. Then he showed up at my work and tried to sit next to me, kept following me around the office, emailing me all day and repeatedly asking me if I wanted to go to lunch. Eventually I said yes to lunch and we are chatting about who we live with and he ends up admitting he lives with his gf. I was shocked.

Basically - what on earth am I doing wrong? I have met these guys in totally different scenarios and yet they've all ended up being dishonest in some way or another. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid these guys and find a nice guy who is honest and straightforward? My friend says there's no such thing as a nice guy anymore so I shouldn't hold out hope for something that doesn't exist. Help!
    i can be guy #5 bby xo

ReputationRep:
    Tl;dr - I have had a string of liars/bad men, why is this happening and how can I stop it?

I've been dating for a while and Im looking for something lasting and serious but for some reason I just keep running into liars.

My last 4 encounters went something like this:

Guy 1: met through uni friends, we dated for about 6 months. He was secretly dependent on weed and lied to me about it. When I realised, I ended it. He seemed upset but then a week later he had a new girlfriend.

Guy 2: met him on a dating site, we got on really well and had a great date. He mentioned his ex who he had been with for 7 years and had recently split up with. I decided not to go on a second date because I got the feeling he wasn't over her. Later I found out he had had another girlfriend (not the 7 year one) the entire time, not sure why he went on a date with me as it was quite clearly cheating. He's now married.

Guy 3: met him at school, ran into him on a dating site. He had listed 'Looking for a long term relationship'. We were getting on really well, until he said his 'head was really messed up at the moment and he didn't see himself falling in love or being in a relationship' - basically had been lying/acting like he wanted a relationship but just wanted easy sex.

Guy 4: met at work on an induction day, got on well but I never gave him my details or anything. Forgot about it until I got an email from him a couple of days later saying 'hi Sophie, was really nice to meet you the other day, do you want to go for a coffee sometime?' I said yes. Then he showed up at my work and tried to sit next to me, kept following me around the office, emailing me all day and repeatedly asking me if I wanted to go to lunch. Eventually I said yes to lunch and we are chatting about who we live with and he ends up admitting he lives with his gf. I was shocked.

Basically - what on earth am I doing wrong? I have met these guys in totally different scenarios and yet they've all ended up being dishonest in some way or another. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid these guys and find a nice guy who is honest and straightforward? My friend says there's no such thing as a nice guy anymore so I shouldn't hold out hope for something that doesn't exist. Help!
    You just have bad luck.

There is nothing wrong with how you're meeting guys. Just have to stick it out until you find someone decent.

But why do I have such bad luck and others have good luck?

How can I tell if a guy is genuine? I don't want to get taken in again.

ReputationRep:
    But why do I have such bad luck and others have good luck?

How can I tell if a guy is genuine? I don't want to get taken in again.
    Guys like that only want to have sex. If you put up defences, talk to them and get to know them then they won't try. They soon loose interest. Don't bore them, get to know them. The longer it takes for you to openly admit you like them, the less likely they are to stay. Those that stay are genuine. I am genuine... Most people are not.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.