Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, so as the title says, im doing the NCS this summer, but admittedly, im pretty nervous. I have pretty bad social anxiety, and I was going to do it with friends, but now ive found out their wave is full up, so im having to do a different one where i dont know anybody. I guess im just really nervous, and i could use the 60 hours on my CV, so I dont want to abandon it entirely, im just scared that ill be too quiet, and then my tean will hate me, and maybe i wont get any credit for it, as i may not have done enough. Can this happen?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm doing NCS this summer as well ;-) , and I'm pretty nervous too, but I read loads about it and most people say that they make friends easily, and that it really helps with confidence. Do you know what dates U R going? I'm going on the 11th of July

Oh don't worry about it. Mine was full so they sent me to another area where I didn't know anyone at all. But it's okay, everyone at NCS was really nice and helpful and you'd find some are in the same boat as you, so don't worry! It's all part of the experience! Don't let it discourage you from doing it,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iceman88)
    Hello everyone, so as the title says, im doing the NCS this summer, but admittedly, im pretty nervous. I have pretty bad social anxiety, and I was going to do it with friends, but now ive found out their wave is full up, so im having to do a different one where i dont know anybody. I guess im just really nervous, and i could use the 60 hours on my CV, so I dont want to abandon it entirely, im just scared that ill be too quiet, and then my tean will hate me, and maybe i wont get any credit for it, as i may not have done enough. Can this happen?
    When I went I was also quite shy but I learnt two things:

1)During the first time you meet get involved in the team introduction e.g. if your group is asked a question about themselves and you take turns to answer don't shyly say nothing.
    2)Take a deck of cards its a great way to break down the barrier of meeting someone new; if the conversation slows down just start talking about the game.
    -keep the deck on you not in your suitcase

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! I was pretty nervous as well! I was supposed to be going with some friends but I ended up not being on their wave. For the first 10 mins of meeting people it was awkward but after that it's really good. I had really bad social anxiety aswell- I had missed nearly a year from school because of it so... The workers are really nice aswell and won't leave you out! I met a lot of awesome people on my experience and it looks amazing on my cv and brings up so many things to talk about during interviews. Grit your teeth for for the first few awkward mins and you'll be fine. Let me know how it goes😊 Luke x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm going on the 22nd of June or something like that!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.