Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My name is Alahad, currently doing bs. IT. I'm hoping to apply for postgrads in computer science. What are the requirements and what do I need to take to up my chances of being enrolled ?

ReputationRep:
    A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) in computing or a related subject with a substantial computing element. Relevant work experience will also be considered.

We expect you to have programming competence, some prior experience of systems development and knowledge of data structures and algorithms.

All applicants will need to have GCSE English Language at grade C or above, or an appropriate English language qualification.

We accept a range of international equivalent qualifications.

English Language Requirements

IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in in any component. For other English qualifications, read English language equivalent qualifications.

https://www.engineering.leeds.ac.uk/.../postgraduate/ They have a number of masters degrees, so you might want to check out that link and see which one interests you the most

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy)
    A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) in computing or a related subject with a substantial computing element. Relevant work experience will also be considered.

We expect you to have programming competence, some prior experience of systems development and knowledge of data structures and algorithms.

All applicants will need to have GCSE English Language at grade C or above, or an appropriate English language qualification.

We accept a range of international equivalent qualifications.

English Language Requirements

IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in in any component. For other English qualifications, read English language equivalent qualifications.

https://www.engineering.leeds.ac.uk/.../postgraduate/ They have a number of masters degrees, so you might want to check out that link and see which one interests you the most
    Thank you for the information.

Currently, I'm studying at Arab Open University, and I don't even know if my university is recognized. Although it's a branch from Open University UK. Apparently my course is 4 years, the first year covers the government's requirements.

Btw, hopefully if I finish at age 28, are my chances lower of getting admission into University of Leeds ?

What other certifications and qualifications do I need to increase my chances of entering University of Leeds.

Bless u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ric221)
    Thank you for the information.

Currently, I'm studying at Arab Open University, and I don't even know if my university is recognized. Although it's a branch from Open University UK. Apparently my course is 4 years, the first year covers the government's requirements.

Btw, hopefully if I finish at age 28, are my chances lower of getting admission into University of Leeds ?

What other certifications and qualifications do I need to increase my chances of entering University of Leeds.

Bless u
    There is no harm in dropping the university an email enquiring

And age should be no problem at all! Many people who study postgrad don't go straight from their undergraduate degree! I would love to do my masters one day, but the likeliness is I would have to work for a few years between my first degree and my masters to be able to finance it! My mother didn't do her undergraduate degree until she was nearly 30!

To help strengthen your application maybe try and build up a portfolio in your spare time, that helps to show your skills and progression. As I don't know what your course entails, maybe just consider doing projects, applying your skills. Anything additional you do helps to add strength to your application But as long as you get a 2:1 in your degree and have the relevant English qualifications you should be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy)
    There is no harm in dropping the university an email enquiring

And age should be no problem at all! Many people who study postgrad don't go straight from their undergraduate degree! I would love to do my masters one day, but the likeliness is I would have to work for a few years between my first degree and my masters to be able to finance it! My mother didn't do her undergraduate degree until she was nearly 30!

To help strengthen your application maybe try and build up a portfolio in your spare time, that helps to show your skills and progression. As I don't know what your course entails, maybe just consider doing projects, applying your skills. Anything additional you do helps to add strength to your application But as long as you get a 2:1 in your degree and have the relevant English qualifications you should be fine!
    Thank you for your timely response. Are you also doing a degree in computer science ? UK is a very expensive place to study and live in.......I presume earning twice the budget, predicted, would keep me at least on the safe side *sigh*. Portfolio ? By portfolio, you intent to mean references

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ric221)
    Thank you for your timely response. Are you also doing a degree in computer science ? UK is a very expensive place to study and live in.......I presume earning twice the budget, predicted, would keep me at least on the safe side *sigh*. Portfolio ? By portfolio, you intent to mean references
    I do not! Hence why I suggested you drop the university an email asking for more information I study International Business!

I'm luckily a home student so I don't have to pay such horrific fees and I can get a loan, but I plan to do my masters in Finland. I adore the country and they offer free masters courses, taught in English.

By portfolio I sort of mean a collection of your work. Say you did a really good project as part of your degree, or made some computer program or something, make a note of it, and keep all that information together so you can present it if you received an interview

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.