Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey u guys, ive learnt in class about nucleur reactors, sir said we had to know about it for phy 6.
    and also on the syllabus it doesnt mention, binding energy
    nucleur fission and fusion?
    whats going on here?

ReputationRep:
    certainly not done anything on reactors here. but the then again they can throw just about anything in on this PHY6 paper. i think they can put stuff in thats not on the syllabus but if you look at past papers all the info will be there, u've just got to apply what is on the syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ainsworth)
    certainly not done anything on reactors here. but the then again they can throw just about anything in on this PHY6 paper. i think they can put stuff in thats not on the syllabus but if you look at past papers all the info will be there, u've just got to apply what is on the syllabus.
    Usually the stuff in the comprehension bit isn't on the syllabus and the answers for that are usually inferred from the text.

ReputationRep:
    binding energy is the energy needed to split a nucleus into its individual nucleons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathematician)
    hey u guys, ive learnt in class about nucleur reactors, sir said we had to know about it for phy 6.
    whats going on here?
    I dont think we will be asked to recall some facts about these

ReputationRep:
    As far as Fission and Fusion are concerned..I haven't look at the syllabus recently, but its there in the NAS books (Field Forces and synthesis), so I just assumed that we had to know it and learned it...its really simple though, you don't have to worry much abt it, just take it this way...
    Fusion (fuuuusing together lighter nuclei to give out energy and form larger ones- remember its not in practice on Earth, Stars -the sun- have hydrogen fusion going on within them...)
    As for Fission (I remember it as a neutrom coming in with a fisssssing sound and bombarding large nulcei to release energy and lighter nuclei plus more nuetrons when go on further and attck more massive nucleis....this is what happens in the nuclear power plants nowadays!)
    Hope that helped- the thing is that I had a great Phys teacher who was really enthusiastic abt all this and she taught me with great animation and since I was the only one in class, it was even more fun....Any thing else you guys need clarification abt, I dont mind helping

ReputationRep:
    Oh great!
    What is a drift chamber?

ReputationRep:
    Drift chambers and spark chambers are exactly the same things...2 names for the same thing.....ok, spark chambers have a very high potential diff plates, when a charged particle passes thru, a current flows...spark(drift) chambers are connected to some kind of data logging system and the sensors quickly produce an image in a form of a graph indicating the current flow.....
    I know this is a bit confusing!..just remember that ionisation->change in pd-> detection by the senor of data logging->image on a graph due to current flow!
    Hope that helped!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, 2 years of physics and most of this is news to me. Im confident about monday then. I need a B!

ReputationRep:
    Drift Chamber = Spark Chamber? At least that puts my mind at ease.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Resonance)
    Drift Chamber = Spark Chamber? At least that puts my mind at ease.
    slightly different actually... drift uses wire... and a computer works out all the track from the current that the ionised air from the charged particles make...

ReputationRep:
    From the Nelson textbook it can be inferred that spark chambers use plates and drift chambers use wires (it says 'spark chambers and drift chambers have plates or wires carrying high potentials'). So that gels with what you said S1M and Rose In Bloom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Resonance)
    From the Nelson textbook it can be inferred that spark chambers use plates and drift chambers use wires (it says 'spark chambers and drift chambers have plates or wires carrying high potentials'). So that gels with what you said S1M and Rose In Bloom.
    The fact that spark chambers use wires allows them to be bigger in volume i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    The fact that spark chambers use wires allows them to be bigger in volume i think
    its the drift chambers that use wires...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    its the drift chambers that use wires...
    yeah sorry my mistake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathematician)
    whats going on here?
    Binding Energy and fusion and such were covered during the AS syllabus I think. E=mc² was covered during this year.

ReputationRep:
    As for Spark and Drift chambers, I suggest learn all there is in the NAS book, other than that, I doubt they'll ask...anywayz now its either u know it or u don't, lets just pray and hope that all goes well and our fav ques come!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.