Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi.. I love the course I am studying & currently I am doing my MSc graduation project. The problem is that i am spending most of my time in the lab from 9 am till around 6 pm and reach home exhausted. Even though I love the course I can't motivate myself to start searching or reading or even writing the introduction at least. I keep delay & I feel worry I don't go out to enjoy & in the same time I am not studying by setting at home. Whenever I feel worried about keep delaying I will open Instagram, Twitter or anything that will make me stop thinking which is wrong. Is there any ideas on how to motivate myself? Shell I stay in the library after the work? How to manage my time????? I really love it but currently I am feeling worried, depressed and not motivated at all.

ReputationRep:
    Here's a basic outline of what to do (I'm assuming you have a month dedicated to only writing the thesis).

1 - Draw up an outline and figure plan. You should already have this done. This will help a lot. Knowing what you need to write, and fill the gaps in will be of major benefit when writing the thesis.

2 - Do your data analysis and produce figures. This should be partially done if you have meetings/progress reports with your supervisor. Write notes on your analysis with each figure. This will help when writing the Results and Discussion section.Get your formatting done right and show that it is significant. Scrambling to fix formatting is never fun.

3 - Read a 1-4 papers a day. You will have to do this eventually, and it's best to get some of it out of the way now rather than reading 10+ a day to find relevant information. Take notes on the papers and use them to fill out your outline. These papers will also be used in citations for results and discussion.

4 - Immediately work on Results and Discussion. This should be the most familiar part, and the easiest section to finish off since it is data you should be seeing on a daily basis. If you've done Step 3, you'll already know which papers to cite for relevant analyses.

5 - Work on introduction.

Writing the introduction is always the most annoying part, especially when it comes to the more general knowledge section that is needed (eg describe HIV). The specifics are always easier because you are more familiar with them, as well as being more relevant to your daily work. Generally, people will be told to finish the results and discussion sections first because they are the most familiar to them.

ReputationRep:
    Use your time now. Facing the same task with limited time remaining is a worse scenario.

ReputationRep:
    Wooow 😁 Thanks a lot zombiejon your tips make it look very easy, but how to motivate myself to work after 6pm?! During my BSc I was so organised and now in a one year study I can't really manage my time. I know it differ from person to another but please do share if you have to work from 9 am to 6 pm how after that you will manage your time "divide the hours" to search and write your thesis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    Use your time now. Facing the same task with limited time remaining is a worse scenario.
    Yes it is unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virologist22)
    Yes it is unfortunately
    Got the t-shirt for that scenario: with an 80,000 word thesis. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virologist22)
    Wooow 😁 Thanks a lot zombiejon your tips make it look very easy, but how to motivate myself to work after 6pm?! During my BSc I was so organised and now in a one year study I can't really manage my time. I know it differ from person to another but please do share if you have to work from 9 am to 6 pm how after that you will manage your time "divide the hours" to search and write your thesis?
    Keep your eye on the prize. Embrace the suck. If you don't push yourself now, you'll make it much worse.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.