Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I just can't have any female friends that are super close because i always end up falling for them, which I know is stupid but that's just me. You know the story, ask them out then get the "you're just a friend" speech.

But anyway there is a girl that I'm really close with, I guess we are like best friends. And you guessed it, I've also fallen for her. But the problem is she keeps talking to me and wanting to hang out all the time and it's so frustrating because she already has a boyfriend so it's not like I can do anything. I always try to detach myself from her by cutting contact but she always finds a way to message me! We are all in the same classes too so I can't just blank her because I'll see her in class.

I really value this friendship and I know for sure that if I tell her that I like her, she's going to blank me forever and I don't want that. I still want this friendship but I don't want to be super close because it's just making me like her even more.

I'm not sure what to do. Advice please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I just can't have any female friends that are super close because i always end up falling for them, which I know is stupid but that's just me. You know the story, ask them out then get the "you're just a friend" speech.

But anyway there is a girl that I'm really close with, I guess we are like best friends. And you guessed it, I've also fallen for her. But the problem is she keeps talking to me and wanting to hang out all the time and it's so frustrating because she already has a boyfriend so it's not like I can do anything. I always try to detach myself from her by cutting contact but she always finds a way to message me! We are all in the same classes too so I can't just blank her because I'll see her in class.

I really value this friendship and I know for sure that if I tell her that I like her, she's going to blank me forever and I don't want that. I still want this friendship but I don't want to be super close because it's just making me like her even more.

Given your premise, there are only 2 things to do:

- Detach yourself from her
    - Or find yourself a girlfriend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

What you need to do is stop being so desperate for a girlfriend that you instantly become infatuated and attached to any girl that shows you attention, especially when she's your friend.

You haven't gotten "too close" as friends. Spoiler alert: Friends want to hang out and message all the time because... that's what friends do? (shocker, I know).

If you were friends for a long time and were just curious and wanted ask her out if you were both single for example then that wouldnt be an issue, but that's very different from having feelings for her and trying to cut contact and 'move on' from someone you've literally never dated? There has literally never been anything between you two, get a grip.

You're just very infatuated with the idea of her liking you and its starting to make your friendship illegitimate.

Unless you're extremely unattractive you shouldn't have an issue going out and meeting other girls to date. Either way, being friends with a girl shouldn't be any different than regular guy friends.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.