The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

The Pro's and Con's of Leicester Uni

I'm considering filming my offer from here. I really want to know all about it from the perspectives of others who have gone/are going here!
I could really use the insight into you lot's experiences.
I really want to know about the city life, social scene, costs, crime and all that stuff.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me out!
Original post by IHateMySchool666
I'm considering filming my offer from here. I really want to know all about it from the perspectives of others who have gone/are going here!
I really want to know about the city life, social scene, costs, crime and all that stuff.

I'm really enjoying it at the moment. It really depends what course you're doing, but I haven't heard anything bad from anyone.

The social scene is pretty good, there are plenty of bars and clubs in the city centre and being in the student village doesn't stop you from enjoying them. There are plenty of events on in the village, and Rockstar put on a million theme nights a term in the uni club.

The city centre is as safe as you can expect from a city, but the student village is incredibly safe.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by IHateMySchool666

City life:
- Decent - high street is massive, Highcross is a nice shopping centre, there's a good market. Nothing really bad about the city centre

Social scene:
- Student nights (Union nights - LetsDisko on Wednesdays and Shabang on Fridays) are good but can get a bit repetitive. Republic (in city centre) on Mondays can be hit and miss in my experience
- Outside of student nights, there's a lot of other clubs/bars in the city centre and around it which are quite varied. It's definitely worth venturing out and checking them out
- The underground music scene in Leicester is sick. If you like garage, grime, house, drum & bass and the like, events like Beastwang (usually based at the clubs Streetlife and SUB8TEN) are definitely worth going to. Beastwang consistently attracts big names
- O2 Academy doesn't have any good live events - they're usually once in a blue moon. Pretty bad compared to the O2 Academies in Leeds/Bristol/Oxford

Costs:
- Pretty reasonable - privately rented accommodation is pretty cheap, as are bills... I remember reading an article a while ago which said Leicester was the cheapest place to study in the country
- Drinks and club entry are also comparatively cheap

Crime:
- Nothing really - the only issue is burglaries. On the night of the Summer Ball last year my friend's house got burgled after we left to go the O2 and the house opposite me this year (on Queen's Road - busy main road approx. 5 - 10 min walk from campus) got burgled
- Main student areas are Clarendon Park and Highfields/Evington
- Clarendon Park is notorious as a burglary hotspot but is a nicer place to live and is equally student/residential properties. Very popular with students
- Highfields/Evington is a lot more deprived but didn't matter too much. Just generally not a very nice area - people are strange to say the least

If there's anything else you wanna know then feel free to ask
Original post by BinarySudoku
I'm really enjoying it at the moment. It really depends what course you're doing, but I haven't heard anything bad from anyone.

The social scene is pretty good, there are plenty of bars and clubs in the city centre and being in the student village doesn't stop you from enjoying them. There are plenty of events on in the village, and Rockstar put on a million theme nights a term in the uni club.

The city centre is as safe as you can expect from a city, but the student village is incredibly safe.

Thanks so much for the reply!
It seems like a really fun city to go to uni.
I also wanted to know about the wifi in the accommodation?
Is it good for like netflix and stuff?
There are many people in highfields and evington who are lovely. You can't really generalise based on stereotypes :smile:

Leicester's a great place to live in 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anonymous158
There are many people in highfields and evington who are lovely. You can't really generalise based on stereotypes :smile:

Leicester's a great place to live in 😊

lol
Reply 6
Original post by NickLCFC
lol

what's funny?
Original post by Pavzky
City life:
- Decent - high street is massive, Highcross is a nice shopping centre, there's a good market. Nothing really bad about the city centre

Social scene:
- Student nights (Union nights - LetsDisko on Wednesdays and Shabang on Fridays) are good but can get a bit repetitive. Republic (in city centre) on Mondays can be hit and miss in my experience
- Outside of student nights, there's a lot of other clubs/bars in the city centre and around it which are quite varied. It's definitely worth venturing out and checking them out
- The underground music scene in Leicester is sick. If you like garage, grime, house, drum & bass and the like, events like Beastwang (usually based at the clubs Streetlife and SUB8TEN) are definitely worth going to. Beastwang consistently attracts big names
- O2 Academy doesn't have any good live events - they're usually once in a blue moon. Pretty bad compared to the O2 Academies in Leeds/Bristol/Oxford

Costs:
- Pretty reasonable - privately rented accommodation is pretty cheap, as are bills... I remember reading an article a while ago which said Leicester was the cheapest place to study in the country
- Drinks and club entry are also comparatively cheap

Crime:
- Nothing really - the only issue is burglaries. On the night of the Summer Ball last year my friend's house got burgled after we left to go the O2 and the house opposite me this year (on Queen's Road - busy main road approx. 5 - 10 min walk from campus) got burgled
- Main student areas are Clarendon Park and Highfields/Evington
- Clarendon Park is notorious as a burglary hotspot but is a nicer place to live and is equally student/residential properties. Very popular with students
- Highfields/Evington is a lot more deprived but didn't matter too much. Just generally not a very nice area - people are strange to say the least

If there's anything else you wanna know then feel free to ask

Burglaries aren't an issue?
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Burglaries aren't an issue?

On the basis that I know someone who has been burgled and the fact that properties in close proximity to where I live have been burgled, they are. I'm not saying it's a big issue but only one to the extent that you should be aware that there's a chance - albeit a low chance - it could happen to you
Original post by Pavzky
On the basis that I know someone who has been burgled and the fact that properties in close proximity to where I live have been burgled, they are. I'm not saying it's a big issue but only one to the extent that you should be aware that there's a chance - albeit a low chance - it could happen to you

I was being sarcastic.

Quick Reply