Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to do a proper all nighter Watch

ReputationRep:
    Recently had to take multiple all-nighters due to assignment deadlines and not starting work on time.

Until 4am I tend to feel normal, however that is when the tiredness kicks in. It lasts around 30 minutes and then with the help of an energy drink I can function normally until 06-06:30 when the tiredness returns.
    That is when I usually decide to take a quick nap which always ends up with me sleeping until 15h .

What I want to do is have an all-nighter and then go to my lectures at 9am normally until 5,6pm. In other words 'shift' my sleep and trick it with coffee and energy drinks.

The thing is I feel dead at like 7am and my body screams for a nap.

Share your tips!

EDIT: - Had an all-nighter last night, worked until 05:30am no problem with some coffee and nuts.
    - Took a nap from 05:30 until 07am
    - Feel like a king now, like I slept for 8 hours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeoXx)
    Recently had to take multiple all-nighters due to assignment deadlines and not starting work on time.

Until 4am I tend to feel normal, however that is when the tiredness kicks in. It lasts around 30 minutes and then with the help of an energy drink I can function normally until 06-06:30 when the tiredness returns.
    That is when I usually decide to take a quick nap which always ends up with me sleeping until 15h .

What I want to do is have an all-nighter and then go to my lectures at 9am normally until 5,6pm. In other words 'shift' my sleep and trick it with coffee and energy drinks.

Share your tips!
    anytime i stay up i usually get very tired around 7am, im not sure whether its because i see the sun coming up or what :dontknow:, but by about 9am/10am the tiredness wears off and i can have a normal day, so what i usually do is go for a walk at 7am as it keeps me awake plus its quite nice to walk in early morning sun and everywhere is so quiet and its great

>work until 7am
    >walk about until lecture
    >hope tiredness has worn off by 9am and continue with normal day
    > bed early that night

ReputationRep:
    They are a terrible idea as the brain is not productive when tired.
    I would not go past 2 am under no circumstances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeoXx)

Share your tips!
    I've done all nighters for my exams pretty much all my life. Basically never do a full all nighter. Sleep around 2am for 2 hours (until 4). Then at 6 have your 30 minute power nap. That leaves you awake enough to function but tired enough to want to sleep after your lectures.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The best way is to start your assignments as early as possible and get them done at least a day before required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    anytime i stay up i usually get very tired around 7am, im not sure whether its because i see the sun coming up or what :dontknow:, but by about 9am/10am the tiredness wears off and i can have a normal day, so what i usually do is go for a walk at 7am as it keeps me awake plus its quite nice to walk in early morning sun and everywhere is so quiet and its great

>work until 7am
    >walk about until lecture
    >hope tiredness has worn off by 9am and continue with normal day
    > bed early that night
    I thought about a walk, will do that. Thought also of going to gym at 7am, but I guess that would completely destroy me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknownAnon)
    I've done all nighters for my exams pretty much all my life. Basically never do a full all nighter. Sleep around 2am for 2 hours (until 4). Then at 6 have your 30 minute power nap. That leaves you awake enough to function but tired enough to want to sleep after your lectures.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll try the power nap. What I did two days ago is take a power nap and then napped some more which turned into an 8 hour sleep.
    I'll try this time to just nap for 30 min and get up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeoXx)
    I'll try the power nap. What I did two days ago is take a power nap and then napped some more which turned into an 8 hour sleep.
    I'll try this time to just nap for 30 min and get up
    Oh one more tip that's really good is to drink caffeine before your nap. So when you wake up after 30 minutes, you feel even more energised.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You can't do it bro.

I'm a master at pulling 'all-nighters', but the thing is you're best working up till like 06:00, then sleeping till you have to get up (in my case 08:40). You need just a little sleep to function, otherwise you're toast.

If you get up earlier than me, then you should go to sleep earlier. I think 3 hours is sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    I have to do long hours on a regular basis with my work - sometimes up to 48 hours before sleeping.

The real secret is motivation. If you really want it done, and you have the means to do it, then your mind will follow. And by the end of it, you'll feel like CRAP. I can sleep for AGES after a long stint. Strong coffee will help to a certain extent towards the end of it, but remember Caffiene is also an Analgesic however, while delaying drowsiness, will also induce confusion which is detrimental to most.

I think everyone is different, and I don't think there is a definitive answer here. But for me, just focusing on the task at hand and making sure it's finished - not looking at clocks, not thinking about how long I've been working - just focusing solely on what I have to get done, is the way to do it. Longest I've been up is 60 hours - a 36 hour job, followed by a 12 hour journey, followed by around 8-10 hours follow up before heading back to a hotel and practically collapsing until the next evening lol.

Never again.

If I had my way, I would get up at 7:30am, and go to bed at 9pm every night. With a frilly pillow, and a cup of cocoa, and wooly socks, and a little candle at the side of my bed. And one of those long hats for sleeping in. Yes please. Oh god, yes please!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.