I have offers for Anthropology from both UCL and Durham.. Both want AAA
- will be closer to my gf (granted she gets into her firm, Reading) and friends at home who aren't going to uni and/or are currently in year 12. My mum & I are definitely moving away as soon as I finish exams so it's not going to be close to home though.
- the course has more options I want to do (e.g. documentary making and medical anthropology)
- I went to the post offer day, I liked the university & would love to live in London
- the department seems quite nice, we have a student common room which is kinda cool. It has a microwave and stuff & there's a cute lil courtyard thing outside
- but I'm worried about expenses, particularly rent prices (I'll be on the maximum loan + £1500 bursary from UCL)
- closer to family in the north who I'd like to see more often (grandparents & cousins who I don't get to see a lot as I currently live in the south). My brother is also currently at Newcastle.
- course has more flexibility (theres no option for wild modules in UCL first year & I'd like to learn a language)
- I like the collegiate system (I'm allocated collingwood college) but the anth dept at UCL is quite small (compared to the uni at least) and there seems to be a bit of a community feel there too with the common room etc
- academic buildings are more aesthetic (at least for anth... But tbh this isn't too much of a concern) and the anth&arch dept is literally right next to the library which is probably useful
- I'm kinda sporty and apparently Durham is good for that
- much quieter than London, less expensive & probably less stressful
- however Collingwood is catered & I'd prefer self catered accommodation
- also, the student union building......
My insurance will be Kent who want ABB.
UCL vs Durham watch
View Poll Results: UCL vs DurhamUCL150.00%Durham150.00%