• View Poll Results: UCL vs Durham
    UCL
    33.33%
    Durham
    66.67%

ReputationRep:
    I have offers for Anthropology from both UCL and Durham.. Both want AAA

UCL
    - will be closer to my gf (granted she gets into her firm, Reading) and friends at home who aren't going to uni and/or are currently in year 12. My mum & I are definitely moving away as soon as I finish exams so it's not going to be close to home though.
    - the course has more options I want to do (e.g. documentary making and medical anthropology)
    - I went to the post offer day, I liked the university & would love to live in London
    - the department seems quite nice, we have a student common room which is kinda cool. It has a microwave and stuff & there's a cute lil courtyard thing outside
    - but I'm worried about expenses, particularly rent prices (I'll be on the maximum loan + £1500 bursary from UCL)

Durham
    - closer to family in the north who I'd like to see more often (grandparents & cousins who I don't get to see a lot as I currently live in the south). My brother is also currently at Newcastle.
    - course has more flexibility (theres no option for wild modules in UCL first year & I'd like to learn a language)
    - I like the collegiate system (I'm allocated collingwood college) but the anth dept at UCL is quite small (compared to the uni at least) and there seems to be a bit of a community feel there too with the common room etc
    - academic buildings are more aesthetic (at least for anth... But tbh this isn't too much of a concern) and the anth&arch dept is literally right next to the library which is probably useful
    - I'm kinda sporty and apparently Durham is good for that
    - much quieter than London, less expensive & probably less stressful
    - however Collingwood is catered & I'd prefer self catered accommodation
    - also, the student union building......

My insurance will be Kent who want ABB.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 17, 2016

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.