Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Kernel panics in the middle of trying to do stuff. Thing just crashed (again) opening Spotify. Good thing I wasn't actually doing any work this time. It's been almost 18 months I think and endless problems, no resolution. I'd go to the Apple store if 1) they weren't so far away and 2) they'd actually do something. Last times I was there they didn't do anything. They left it to me to call Apple and get my machine changed (this is machine #4 by the way)

I didn't own #1 long enough to see it go bad (only had it 2 days)

#2 the chassis creaked, sometimes really loudly after 7 days without needing you to touch it with much force. Apple store tried to tell me it's normal

#3 I didn't even start because the hinge was broken on arrival, one side of it stuck out from the actual body so it wasn't even aligned properly

#4 This Mac. Freezing and kernel panics whenever it feels like (to date I think I've had 5, maybe 6). There's no (to my knowledge) error code or summarised name (like IRQL_NOT LESS THAN EQUAL) like you'd get with a BSOD to check what happened. Trackpad sometimes feels a little loose and a hinge that also feels like it's coming apart at one end (sometimes). Dropped 1 time from less than a metre on to carpet, but these issues existed way before then. It even froze for best part of an hour for initial setup. Not forgetting when it was whining for no apparent reason.

Guess how many times my gaming PC runs into issues/crashes these days? 0 (it's first 12 months were brutal though, I fixed it so it's all good)

IDK though, that's my opinion. What would you do?

ReputationRep:
    ive hda my macbook air since october and not had one problem with it yet!

ReputationRep:
    You only just realised?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mine turtle)
    Kernel panics in the middle of trying to do stuff. Thing just crashed (again) opening Spotify. Good thing I wasn't actually doing any work this time. It's been almost 18 months I think and endless problems, no resolution. I'd go to the Apple store if 1) they weren't so far away and 2) they'd actually do something. Last times I was there they didn't do anything. They left it to me to call Apple and get my machine changed (this is machine #4 by the way)

#2 the chassis creaked, sometimes really loudly after 7 days without needing you to touch it with much force. Apple store tried to tell me it's normal

#3 I didn't even start because the hinge was broken on arrival, one side of it stuck out from the actual body so it wasn't even aligned properly

#4 This Mac. Freezing and kernel panics whenever it feels like (to date I think I've had 5, maybe 6). There's no (to my knowledge) error code or summarised name (like IRQL_NOT LESS THAN EQUAL) like you'd get with a BSOD to check what happened. Trackpad sometimes feels a little loose and a hinge that also feels like it's coming apart at one end (sometimes). Dropped 1 time from less than a metre on to carpet, but these issues existed way before then. It even froze for best part of an hour for initial setup. Not forgetting when it was whining for no apparent reason.

Guess how many times my gaming PC runs into issues/crashes these days? 0 (it's first 12 months were brutal though, I fixed it so it's all good)

What do you use this Macbook for? If you use it for work stuff, then I recommend you need to get yourself a new notebook (preferably not from Apple).
    Is it damaged/too late to get a refund? If not, do it.

EDIT: You should've sent it back when you saw the hinges broken. You should also complain about that

ReputationRep:
    I've had the MacBook Pro I'm currently typing on for years with no problems. That said, the hard drive is held together with a chunk of styrofoam after the previous owner dropped it and I got it patched up, and I had a good few kernel panics when I tried to load all my stuff into it. But once I actually got it going properly, no problems!

ReputationRep:
    Are you even buying from legit Apple? How does the chassis crack on delivery? It's delivered on so much protective packaging that I could try throwing the box down a 12 floor building without a single scratch.

The package is three boxes. Massive cardboard box full of styrofoam, smaller cardboard box to fit Mac more closely and then the gift nice box in white that holds the Mac. There's literally no way it can break in the shipping box.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fordrin)
    What do you use this Macbook for? If you use it for work stuff, then I recommend you need to get yourself a new notebook (preferably not from Apple).
    Is it damaged/too late to get a refund? If not, do it.
    It got clipped by a lamp once, left minor dent at the back (which you can't see unless you know where it is). But basically, cosmetically it is yes. So much for durability of Apple products if a scissors and its own adaptor can leave a mark in it (invisible unless you really search for it). Otherwise it looks like new.

I almost forgot, the power adaptor. I've had lots of fun with that thing. Not charging, light not working, and the insulation rupturing in less than 12 months. It's way out of standard warranty. It's got AppleCare on it, but here's how that went last time. I go to store and tell them about issue > Issue either doesn't present itself or it does > If it doesn't, meeting is over > If it does, they do nothing/tell me it's normal/leave it to me to call Apple to get it changed (in fact I just go for contact Apple directly now and leave out the store and their "Geniuses" entirely.

It's here for video editing now, but I'll be moving off Final Cut ASAP and moving to Premiere on Windows. My gaming PC has this thing called reliability
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hey mine turtle

I identified why you're so disappointed. Because you're comparing a gaming computer to a MacBook Pro.

As for Apple - they're good to me - will help out whenever and are quite quick about it. Personally distance to a store doesn't affect me as I live 40 mins drive from one (not that bad), at home I live 20 mins drive from one.

ReputationRep:
    I have the macbook pro retina 2015 model and it has caused me no problems at all. It works like an absolute dream.

Can't you go to another Apple store to see if they can fix the problem/give you a new one? If your dead-set against Apple then there are plenty of other ultrabooks you can buy.

ReputationRep:

El Capitan or older? I have Yosemite on an early 2015 model it runs beautifully. I know people who upgraded to El Capitan had loads of problems. Take it back to Apple and say this is not how a MacBook should be. I also wonder why you accepted delivery of a broken item?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    I have the macbook pro retina 2015 model and it has caused me no problems at all. It works like an absolute dream.

Can't you go to another Apple store to see if they can fix the problem/give you a new one? If your dead-set against Apple then there are plenty of other ultrabooks you can buy.
    One thing that I dislike about the 2015 Pro (which I have, because my machine got replaced last year), is that they've changed the graphics card to Nvidia. It means for light laptop gaming, it could be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Got a new Macbook Air 11 in July last year.

Has worked perfectly.

The Air is the most reliable I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    Are you even buying from legit Apple? How does the chassis crack on delivery? It's delivered on so much protective packaging that I could try throwing the box down a 12 floor building without a single scratch.

The package is three boxes. Massive cardboard box full of styrofoam, smaller cardboard box to fit Mac more closely and then the gift nice box in white that holds the Mac. There's literally no way it can break in the shipping box.
    Direct from Apple UK
    So it came from their warehouse, which means the hinge issue happened when it was put together, before it made it into the box. It was just never caught for whatever reason. I should have taken a picture. Don't think I ever opened the Macbook itself to even start it, because it failed my inspection (which it only went through because the previous one had problems).

I know about the MacBook boxes, big white ones with the MacBook on top wrapped in plastic with the little pull tab. This box:

Student discount played a big part in getting one, and I quietly wanted one as a kid

Screenshotted from my own accounts page

There's two other MacBooks below the one in the screenshot (not counting the one that just creeps in at the bottom)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    xxx
    Hiya OP!

Just to let you know I've moved this over to a more appropriate section. I'm sorry to hear about your MacBook, this doesn't sound normal at all... I've had mine for a few years now and I've never experienced a kernel panic... Definitely agree with Roving Fish in that you shouldn't compare it to your gaming rig though. Hope things get sorted!

ReputationRep:
    Direct from Apple UK
    So it came from their warehouse, which means the hinge issue happened when it was put together, before it made it into the box. It was just never caught for whatever reason. I should have taken a picture. Don't think I ever opened the Macbook itself to even start it, because it failed my inspection (which it only went through because the previous one had problems).

I know about the MacBook boxes, big white ones with the MacBook on top wrapped in plastic with the little pull tab. This box:

Student discount played a big part in getting one, and I quietly wanted one as a kid

Screenshotted from my own accounts page

There's two other MacBooks below the one in the screenshot (not counting the one that just creeps in at the bottom)
    Why are you comparing your gaming desktop to a MBP? I have both, built the gaming desktop myself for heavy-duty applications such as editing and gaming, whereas I use the MBP for an entirely different purpose all together, browsing, coding, deploying, using the brilliant IPS screen and the crisp retina is excellent for its intended purpose. And it's intended purpose is not gaming.

I think perhaps you have had the wrong expectations when purchasing the MBP. Like comparing apples to oranges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)
    El Capitan or older? I have Yosemite on an early 2015 model it runs beautifully. I know people who upgraded to El Capitan had loads of problems. Take it back to Apple and say this is not how a MacBook should be. I also wonder why you accepted delivery of a broken item?
    If you're talking about #3, I didn't know it was broken until it was opened. Plus some weren't received by me, but by my housemates, because I was on campus when they were delivered.

We'll never know if #1 was reliable, because I was switched it for a higher spec off-the-shelf one (the one I'd specced was exactly the same, but no dGPU). I do seem to remember it being quite buggy. That was a Mavericks machine. #2 Was Mavericks then Yosemite. I don't know what #3 was, never turned it on. #4 Yosemite and now El Capitan. They are all mid-2014 15" Retina Pros

ReputationRep:
    Didn't you already make a thread about this just a couple of weeks ago? I think the problems you've had put you in the extreme minority. My Macbook Pro is the most reliable (both in software and hardware) laptop I've ever had. I got it two years ago and it still feels like it's brand new. Most of my other laptops needed replacing after two years because Windows had slowed to a crawl and they were falling apart basically.

Also, I don't even know what a "kernel panic" is. It's never crashed.

ReputationRep:
    OP you dun goofed. There are loads of products on the market that offer much better specs at a lower price than Apple products.

if you buy an Apple product first hand / new, you are literally signing up to be overcharged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roving Fish)
    One thing that I dislike about the 2015 Pro (which I have, because my machine got replaced last year), is that they've changed the graphics card to Nvidia. It means for light laptop gaming, it could be a problem.
    Well macbooks aren't really suited for gaming and fortunately for me I don't use my laptop to play games (I'm a console gamer). I did try a bit of sims 4 and LoL a few months ago and it seemed to work fine for me- having said that the laptop got noisy and heated up quite quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    Why are you comparing your gaming desktop to a MBP? I have both, built the gaming desktop myself for heavy-duty applications such as editing and gaming, whereas I use the MBP for an entirely different purpose all together, browsing, coding, deploying, using the brilliant IPS screen and the crisp retina is excellent for its intended purpose. And it's intended purpose is not gaming.

I think perhaps you have had the wrong expectations when purchasing the MBP. Like comparing apples to oranges.
    They're the two most recent computers I have. I expected reliability. IMO I didn't get it (when you factor in the prices involved). A £500 laptop, there wouldn't be an issue (there'd still be an issue, but I'd move on and continue using it without much complaint, because it was £500). It depends what your tolerance for reliability issues is. My gaming PC was built to play games and movies, that's it. The MacBook was meant to be the video editor mostly and a note taker for lectures that would run forever.

The PC put me through trial by fire though in its first year. When I changed to the Obsidian 750D, the plastic part of the USB3 header came separated from the cable and stayed in the motherboard (my old Z11+ has been unplugged and replugged hundreds of times with no problems) O_o. Amazon got me replacement of both case and board though. Too scared to ever move that cable now

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.