Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    Well macbooks aren't really suited for gaming and fortunately for me I don't use my laptop to play games (I'm a console gamer). I did try a bit of sims 4 and LoL a few months ago and it seemed to work fine for me- having said that the laptop got noisy and heated up quite quickly.
    That is true, Sims 4 heats it up really fast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mine turtle)
    x
    Just to confirm, did you get your first MacBook replaced or are you complaining about one that arrived faulty/damaged?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    Well macbooks aren't really suited for gaming and fortunately for me I don't use my laptop to play games (I'm a console gamer). I did try a bit of sims 4 and LoL a few months ago and it seemed to work fine for me- having said that the laptop got noisy and heated up quite quickly.
    It's great for what I need it for (graphic design), but I've got an activity monitor and the temperature gets very high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Just to confirm, did you get your first MacBook replaced or are you complaining about one that arrived faulty/damaged?
    Letting the venting out. I currently have only one MacBook. #1 through 3 were returned back to Apple. Don't get me wrong, when they work they're brilliant, but as you can see they haven't worked in my experience (or is it that they work so well that when I do have an issue I notice more). Question, how often do you guys shutdown (at the risk of having egg on face, in case I'm doing more harm than good), I do not. It forcibly shuts itself down when it hits a kernel panic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fordrin)
    EDIT: You should've sent it back when you saw the hinges broken. You should also complain about that
    Are you talking about the current one? I raised it with Apple, think I may have gone to the store as well. If you're talking about #3 that did go back. Just thinking how fitting it is that I named the computer Gambit

(Original post by e aí rapaz)
    Didn't you already make a thread about this just a couple of weeks ago? I think the problems you've had put you in the extreme minority. My Macbook Pro is the most reliable (both in software and hardware) laptop I've ever had. I got it two years ago and it still feels like it's brand new. Most of my other laptops needed replacing after two years because Windows had slowed to a crawl and they were falling apart basically.

Also, I don't even know what a "kernel panic" is. It's never crashed.
    Yes I did. Wouldn't be hearing from me again if it hadn't reoccurred. My experience seems to always be the opposite of what others experience. Windows Vista? Ran perfectly fine over here. 1 error in the 5 or 6 years that computer was in use. Virus eventually completely destroyed it (bad torrent)

Dell? They were terrible. Never again

Packard Bell? That thing soldiered on, ran into a number of issues that it always recovered from on its own and then all the issues just stopped. On the whole reliable, but eventually age took it down. The original desktop Packard Bell desktop we had, that thing refused to die even though it was going the computer equivalent of mad (pirated XP, which we had for reasons I can't remember may have played a part)

Samsung? Premature issues on all of them. Nokia soldiers on forever without even one issue

8.1? Hated my hardware for some reason

Windows 10? Works incredibly well. Biggest issue is explorer might crash, but that's so rare, otherwise the computer never has a problem (if it is it's one program getting it wrong, but the computer isn't taken down by it. In most cases, problem is quickly found and fixed or is minor annoyance until it's solved). Other people's computers seem to have been wrecked by 10, not this one

EDIT: My PS2? Super reliable. Bought in 2000, maybe 2001 and retired in 2008 or so, because the drive went bad. By that time it had done thousands of hours, several hours a day with not one issue. 2007 was probably when I saw the first DRE. It was one of the fat black PS2s. Then I hear from others they were unreliable and some people went through 7 of them O_o

On the other hand, my PS4 which everyone says is really reliable and quiet. Mine runs really hot, annoyingly loud and has had numerous error codes and random issues (picture and sound dropouts, which could be the TV seeing as my old TV with this PS4 never had that issue) which just disappear. It wasn't returned because repackaging it and getting it to GAME was missions from my student house. Still working though. I'd care more if my PC hadn't put it out of a job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mine turtle)
    Letting the venting out. I currently have only one MacBook. #1 through 3 were returned back to Apple. Don't get me wrong, when they work they're brilliant, but as you can see they haven't worked in my experience (or is it that they work so well that when I do have an issue I notice more).
    Fair enough, just wanted to check.

It sounds like you've had a ****ty experience, there's no denying that and you have every right to be pissed. That said, no brand has a flawless QA system and will put out a certain number of duds, and Apple's numbers on that front are among the better manufacturers despite you getting a lifetime's worth of those issues. I've been lucky enough to have owned three different models of Mac, two Windows laptops, a gaming PC I built myself and even a Chromebook which sits in the back of my cupboard as an emergency backup (I got it as a review sample to test for TSR/PC World a few years ago, I'm not just overly paranoid :ahee:), and the only real issue I've had with any of those computers is one stick of RAM I bought for the gaming PC arriving faulty. Unfortunately there's people on the other side of the bell curve who receive a string of faulty computers, for example I've got a mate who's been similarly unlucky as you with Asus and their replacements. Again, I'm not trying to diminish the issues you've had, but declaring that all MacBooks "officially suck" based on your small sample size isn't really an accurate statement.

Question, how often do you guys shutdown (at the risk of having egg on face, in case I'm doing more harm than good), I do not. It forcibly shuts itself down when it hits a kernel panic
    My current machine has practically lived in sleep mode since I bought it last May, I only ever really turn it off when I get prompted to for a system/app update or when I forget to charge it. I've never had a single kernel panic or other OS-related problem.

ReputationRep:
    Got my MacBook when I turned 16, I just turned 19 and 0 problems so far?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.