The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS, please answerrrr!

Hi guys, I am an international student. I've just received an offer from Strathy for International Business. It will be great if some current student could tell me how much maths this course involves. I have to make my mind up between Strathy and Glasgow uni...I m so confused :s-smilie:
Reply 1
I am in first year studying IB at Strath atm and it really depends on which subjects you take! In first year you'll choose 4 business subjects from a list (usually it's 5, but on the IB course, management is compulsory in first year). The list includes; business enterprise, marketing, hospitality and tourism management, human resource management, economics, finance, business analysis and technology (think thats everything). So obviously if you take finance and economics there will be a level of maths involved, the formulae and stuff in finance is insane, so I stayed well clear.

The only maths you'll be required to do is as part of MDP there's a MathStats module which is self-learned online, there's like 6 chances to sit it and pass it where you're allowed open book but if you don't pass it you have to sit an exam. It's mostly based around excel formula and stuff, and if you actually study it for a day or so it's pretty easy to pass.

The one thing I'd say that's good about Strathclyde is the diversity - there's a lot of international students, especially on the IB course and I think that's great, Glasgow I don't think is as diverse. Also with Strathclyde you can take a semester or full year abroad in 3rd year, not sure if Glasgow does this, but it's compulsory with Strath so you get tuition fees etc paid for you aswell.

Strathclyde also have an exemption scheme for first year where if you get 60% average in your coursework you don't have to sit a final exam. Which I think is also amazing!!

If you have anymore questions just let me know!
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending