Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently on a gap year and for personal reasons will be taking another one next year. I will be applying to university in September, however. I want to apply to study history at Oxford.

My A Level grades were A*AA, but the problem is that my A* was in Economics and not history.

Will this be looked upon badly? Having taken two gap years I am totally against wasting an application so I need someone to tell me honestly if I have a realistic chance of being given a place.

Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crastle)
    I am currently on a gap year and for personal reasons will be taking another one next year. I will be applying to university in September, however. I want to apply to study history at Oxford.

My A Level grades were A*AA, but the problem is that my A* was in Economics and not history.

Will this be looked upon badly? Having taken two gap years I am totally against wasting an application so I need someone to tell me honestly if I have a realistic chance of being given a place.

Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
    London met might accept that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swagyolo420)
    London met might accept that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Doubt it, I heard they're raising their minimum entry requirements to A*A*A for most courses for 2017 entry now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    Doubt it, I heard they're raising their minimum entry requirements to A*A*A for most courses for 2017 entry now
    Ah fair enough, should have guessed that was coming really

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crastle)

Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! I'm a second year studying History at Oxford, so I may be able to help.

A*AA is totally fine. I have friends who got AAA on my course, as well as friends who got A*AA, but with the A* in a subject other than History.

The thing to remember is that your application is made up of so many elements that getting AAA or A*AA is totally fine. You have to perform well across the board, in the aptitude tests, interviews, submitted work, and personal statement. In your case the HAT and interviews will be most important: if you can do well in those you'll be totally fine.

Tutors are interested in the WAY you think. They really do not care about exam robots who come out with A*A*A*, honestly I've been told this so many times during tutorials. There are people who get perfect A-Levels, but who lack intuition and the ability to engage in complex academic debates.

In short - you'll be absolutely fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.