Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could you marry a feminist? Watch

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, I doubt a feminist would be interested in marrying those of you who are vehemently against feminism so I don't think the ball would be in your court when it comes to deciding whether you will or won't marry one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katieMCR)
    pretty sure everyone would want to marry Emma Watson, I definitely would marry her
    She's probably the most overrated celebrity I have ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABsoluteX)
    Because it's a womans job.

TRIGGERED.
    im not gonna have a whole feminist argument, but from my point of view, I'm going to be going to catering college to train as a chef and im pretty sure that after a day of working and getting paid to do so, im not going to want to then get home and cook more food everyday when im not getting paid and am tired from working all day. so I'd like my partner to help out and sometimes cook, unless I know for a fact that they are diabolical at cooking and then i'll be like "the days I cant be bothered to cook we are having take out".

ReputationRep:
    I know very few girls who don't consider themselves feminists in some way, so yes I would.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Though if you have (unfairly) appropriated the term 'feminist' to mean 'woman that always requires written consent before sexual intercourse', then probably not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    To be fair, I doubt a feminist would be interested in marrying those of you who are vehemently against feminism so I don't think the ball would be in your court when it comes to deciding whether you will or won't marry one.
    Even though I identify as a feminist, I find it utterly hilarious when tumblrina freaks lose their **** and start ranting 'I WUD NEVER MARRY U, UR 2 BIGOTED GIBE ME A NICE PROGRESSIVE MAN'

>Implying anybody cares

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    She can do the cooking and i will do the washing up (aka putting the dishes into the dishwasher )
    Will keep her company while in the kitchen by watching football/listening to music with her
    Might even cut some of the stuff

What i dont understand is why some men want their wives to be like their mother who does everything for them
    Helping out here and there aint gonna do no harm

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if she wasn't radical and respected the differences.

ReputationRep:
    Depends if shes extreme or just has normal views

ReputationRep:
    Defining "feminist" in its original sense, I don't think I could marry anyone but.

(Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    What i dont understand is why some men want their wives to be like their mother who does everything for them
    Oedipus complex? :curious:

Personally, I quite like the idea of a wife who takes care of me. It's one of my baser desires. :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    not the militant ones (Katie Hopkins) but equal rights ones (Emma Watson) sure
    - Katie Hopkins...

- "Militant feminist"...

May I ask what planet are you from please?

ReputationRep:
    lol no
    Spoiler:
    Show
    actually it depends how feminist-y she is, being told to check my privilege equates to an insta-dump. But wanting girls in Pakistan to be treated fairly, for example, obviously isn't a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Oedipus complex? :curious:

Personally, I quite like the idea of a wife who takes care of me. It's one of my baser desires. :getmecoat:
    So you are into female-domination too?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I would... then ask her to make me a sandwich for the lols....

Anyway joking aside, I class myself as a "choice feminist" so yes maybe... (although choice feminists don't consider them feminists according to modern standards)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Roll on the "Internalised Misogyny" accusations!

(Original post by Mahmoud X)
    So you are into female-domination too?
    No...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    I couldn't for a number of solid reasons.
    no, as it shows that you have a closed mind. I'm referring to third wave only.only about 18% of people are feminists anyway, as the majority realise what an oppressive group they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    no, as it shows that you have a closed mind. I'm referring to third wave only.only about 18% of people are feminists anyway, as the majority realise what an oppressive group they are.
    Unfortunately, it probably isn't evenly distributed amongst age groups. In the current student generation of women, it's likely to be significantly more then just 18%
    Even amongst people who don't call themselves feminists, there are still those who spout the wage-gap/patriarchy/rape-culture bs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    Helping out here and there aint gonna do no harm
    because i am an incompetent mummy's boy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    I think she's referring to gender roles...
    still doesn't matter lol. feminists believe in equality and getting to choose your role, regardless of how traditional it may be.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.