Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Can someone explain to me what gender is?
    Specifically, what it means to identify as a different gender to male/female.

When I was younger, I used to think I was female and often dressed up, in secret, as one. I suspect that I did this because I was taught being homosexual was sinful and I wanted to mentally explain my attraction to the same sex. I thought that my family had operated on me and often dreamed about carrying a child. I eventually accepted I was male and I'm happy about that now.

I might primarily choose to wear masculine clothing now but that in no way relates to me feeling I'm a man. I am not inclined to wear dresses, for example, but I could. I see no contradiction. I would just be a man who wore dresses.

Whenever I hear someone say that they are gender fluid, for example, they refer to the fact that they like wearing female clothes on some days and male clothes on another.

But for me, clothing choice or expression is independent to how one identifies.

Perhaps someone who doesn't identify as male or female can explain? Yes, I have googled the question.

ReputationRep:
    One gender has that small, veiny elephant trunk dangling from their crotch.

The other has a black hole in which said trunk hydrates with a milky substance

It's beautiful when you think about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Chromosomes.

You can identify as whoever you like but chromosomes don't lie.

ReputationRep:
    Sex and gender is separate . Your sex is biologically determined however your gender is a personal decision, your gender should be what ever you feel most confident as however that doesn't mean you have to choose now. It's okay to be different on different days as it's completely down to u
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ABsoluteX)
    Chromosomes.

You can identify as whoever you like but chromosomes don't lie.
    Well no. There are those who are transgender who mentally identify as the other biological sex. Simple concept to grasp and it is shown that transition improves their mental health. However from the interviews I've seen, they experience a certain level of body dysphoria and undergo treatment to rectify that.

However once someone trans has transitioned to look like the sex they've identified with, they don't have to be pigeon holed by acting like the stereotype of that gender.

Hence my confusion. For me, what it means to be male is not necessarily being a certain % of masculine.
    (Original post by Charlyy27114)
    Sex and gender is separate . Your sex is biologically determined however your gender is a personal decision, your gender should be what ever you feel most confident as however that doesn't mean you have to choose now. It's okay to be different on different days as it's completely down to u
    Thanks for responding. But your reply is very vague. Can you pleas clarify?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Well no. There are those who are transgender who mentally identify as the other biological sex. Simple concept to grasp and it is shown that transition improves their mental health. However from the interviews I've seen, they experience a certain level of body dysphoria and undergo treatment to rectify that.

However once someone trans has transitioned to look like the sex they've identified with, they don't have to be pigeon holed by acting like the stereotype of that gender.

Hence my confusion. For me, what it means to be male is not necessarily being a certain % of masculine.

Thanks for responding. But your reply is very vague. Can you pleas clarify?
    I can identify as a tree mentally, my chromosome still tell me I'm a male.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I can identify as a tree mentally, my chromosome still tell me I'm a male.
    What about those with certain chromosomal disorders or those with Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome?

ReputationRep:
    What about those with certain chromosomal disorders or those with Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome?
    depends on the disorder.

XY = MAN
    XX= WOMAN

ReputationRep:
    depends on the disorder.

XY = MAN
    XX= WOMAN
    As someone has already pointed out, gender and sex are different. Sex is chromosomal, gender isnt.

(Original post by Charlyy27114)
    , your gender should be what ever you feel most confident as however that doesn't mean you have to choose now. It's okay to be different on different days as it's completely down to u
    Surely a person choosing a gender is which set of stereotypes they would prefer to be held to, andvwhich behaviors they want to adopt. Its pretty silly really. A persons sex is determined, gender is just a blanket stereotype of how most members of a particular sex act.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    As someone has already pointed out, gender and sex are different. Sex is chromosomal, gender isnt.

Surely a person choosing a gender is which set of stereotypes they would prefer to be held to, andvwhich behaviors they want to adopt. Its pretty silly really. A persons sex is determined, gender is just a blanket stereotype of how most members of a particular sex act.
    Sorry I cant understand you as I just identified as a tree even though my chromosomes tell me I'm male.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I cant understand you as I just identified as a tree even though my chromosomes tell me I'm male.
    Youve completely missed the point. A tree is a life form, sex is a phenotype, gender is a collection of culturally specific behaviors. Gender is heavily influenced by sex, but they are not the same thing.

You simply cannot behave as a particular sex, thats not what it is.

ReputationRep:
    Youve completely missed the point. A tree is a life form, sex is a phenotype, gender is a collection of culturally specific behaviors. Gender is heavily influenced by sex, but they are not the same thing.

You simply cannot behave as a particular sex, thats not what it is.
    How dare you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad

So you think perhaps that camp gay men are a different gender to traditionally macho men?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Can someone explain to me what gender is?
    Specifically, what it means to identify as a different gender to male/female.

When I was younger, I used to think I was female and often dressed up, in secret, as one. I suspect that I did this because I was taught being homosexual was sinful and I wanted to mentally explain my attraction to the same sex. I thought that my family had operated on me and often dreamed about carrying a child. I eventually accepted I was male and I'm happy about that now.

I might primarily choose to wear masculine clothing now but that in no way relates to me feeling I'm a man. I am not inclined to wear dresses, for example, but I could. I see no contradiction. I would just be a man who wore dresses.

Whenever I hear someone say that they are gender fluid, for example, they refer to the fact that they like wearing female clothes on some days and male clothes on another.

But for me, clothing choice or expression is independent to how one identifies.

Perhaps someone who doesn't identify as male or female can explain? Yes, I have googled the question.
    Have you seen the gingerbread diagrams?

v1.0 http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/...rbread-person/
    v2.0 http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/...d-person-v2-0/
    v3.0 http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/...ead-person-v3/

They're quite useful for getting a shared understanding/vocabulary around gender identity/expression (and who doesn't love a good infographic )

http://genderanalysis.net/ also has some excellent (sourced) videos and transcripts around these differences

</linkdump>
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by PQ)
    Have you seen the gingerbread diagrams?

v1.0 http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/...rbread-person/
    v2.0 http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/...d-person-v2-0/
    v3.0 http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/...ead-person-v3/

They're quite useful for getting a shared understanding/vocabulary around gender identity/expression (and who doesn't love a good infographic )

http://genderanalysis.net/ also has some excellent (sourced) videos and transcripts around these differences

</linkdump>
    Thank you.

I've seen the gingerbread diagram v1 previously but had forgotten. V2/3 help clarify the terminology a bit better so I suppose my title question is literally answered however what I hope to hear are the experiences/thoughts of a person who does not feel they are male or female because I can't imagine this exception.

I will watch the videos when I'm home from work so again, thanks.

I suppose I'm a cis-male who is occasionally feminine and androgynous.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I will watch the video when I'm home from work so again, thanks.
    (I've never watched one of the videos - I just read the transcripts )

ReputationRep:
    Chromosomes are the simplest way to identify sex and usually matches phenotype, but in rare cases karyotype doesn't match phenotype. Example include androgen insensitivity syndrome or congential adrenal hyperplasia. These can lead to mismatches and intersex conditions.

^^This, although I don't know why that's silly.

The other big difference is that while biological sex is mainly binary, gender is more of a continuum. So some men and women might be more masculine than others. There's even psychological evidence, for example, that gay people have less sex-typical brains and behaviours than straight people.

Then there are interesting cultural gender varitants like Fa'afafine in Samoa: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fa%27afafine

ReputationRep:
    When you're born, you're assigned a gender.

That is all there is to it. You're a boy, or a girl, or you have some disorder than means something didn't go right in your creation and you somehow became neither. I'm surprised you're asking such a simple question though.

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahahahahah PRSOM
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    The other big difference is that while biological sex is mainly binary, gender is more of a continuum. So some men and women might be more masculine than others. There's even psychological evidence, for example, that gay people have less sex-typical brains and behaviours than straight people.
    But gender expression is not the same thing as gender identity. So it's possible for someone to identify as male while exhibiting feminine behaviours or wearing feminine clothing.

I just wonder how you can identify as a gender that doesn't exist. Or how you can go from feeling male to female in the space of a day.

(Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    When you're born, you're assigned a gender.That is all there is to it. You're a boy, or a girl, or you have some disorder than means something didn't go right in your creation and you somehow became neither. I'm surprised you're asking such a simple question though.
    Because I am cynical and I am tempted to dismiss a lot of what I hear these days in terms of gender as being a Tumblrism that snowflakes employ to make themselves feel more special. However my opinion has changed somewhat and I'm trying to educate myself.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.