Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I wish there actually was a god. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    loooooooooooooool i dont think God would have the same ideology as Hitler
    Hard to know, isn't it? I mean, if you take the Old Testament as a guide, God was a jealous, angry, unfeeling tyrant with a thing about gay people and women and a tendency to wipe out whole cities because they'd been partying too much. :teehee:

Even if you believe in some kind of remote 'Godhead' who is sort of imbued in the compassionate nature of the cosmos and that kind of thing (Buddhism, hippies, some physicists, etc), you still don't really know that She's a good God, whatever 'good' means. For example, it might be that on their metaphysical God-plane, it makes sense to eliminate the Earth tomorrow and that is deemed 'good'. Not for us, but a Cosmic Gardener cleaning up the lawn from bugs might not take that view.

So we have scaling and perspective issues as well as moral ones to consider.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Hard to know, isn't it? I mean, if you take the Old Testament as a guide, God was a jealous, angry, unfeeling tyrant with a thing about gay people and women and a tendency to wipe out whole cities because they'd been partying too much. :teehee:

Even if you believe in some kind of remote 'Godhead' who is sort of imbued in the compassionate nature of the cosmos and that kind of thing (Buddhism, hippies, some physicists, etc), you still don't really know that She's a good God, whatever 'good' means. For example, it might be that on their metaphysical God-plane, it makes sense to eliminate the Earth tomorrow and that is deemed 'good'. Not for us, but a Cosmic Gardener cleaning up the lawn from bugs might not take that view.

So we have scaling and perspective issues as well as moral ones to consider.
    :gasp:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fordrin)
    Are you a philosopher? If so that ^^ deserves top marks.

In general, religious people believe it's Adam and Eves fault that there is evil in the world due to them taking the choice of eating the fruit in the middle of the garden. Hence why mankind is in severe punishment from God. We are all part of one big team.
    That's excluding Muslims, we don't believe that ^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shillary)
    Evidently false as he is implying that applies to most people.

If he is suggesting that that only applies to himself then that is an even weaker justification for why "child murder" makes life "worth living".
    I should've expected someone to blow this out of proportion sooner or later.

1) I am a she*

2) I didn't say child murder makes life worth living. I merely pointed out that without the things we deem "bad" then nothing would be "good" either. I used child murder as an example because that's what the guy I was responding to used. All I said was that if nothing bad ever happened we'd be living in a utopia, but that such utopia's would be a living hell because of how boring life would be. Conflict draws people closer together and prevents the world from becoming a stagnant boring place. I then pointed out that if you look at the bigger picture, whether we think something is "good" or "bad" is totally meaningless because it doesn't change anything anyway.

3) My whole point was that the guy I was responding to was acting stupidly by calling someone a sicko simply because they can see past the whole emotional fog that gets in the way of logical, sound judgments.

4) As for the "conflict is the spice of life" phrase, I nicked that out of my bank of sayings/cliches. Obviously coconut ester is the real spice of life

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.