Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you ever cheat on a partner? Have you ever cheated? Personally I cannot imagine a situation in which I would betray a partner in this way, particularly having experienced it myself, and cannot understand why someone would.

ReputationRep:
    I have, I wouldn't do it again

(Original post by Darien91)
    I have, I wouldn't do it again
    So you don't subscribe to the opinion of 'once a cheat, always a cheat?' May I ask why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Would you ever cheat on a partner? Have you ever cheated? Personally I cannot imagine a situation in which I would betray a partner in this way, particularly having experienced it myself, and cannot understand why someone would.
    Yeah it's really wrong, but I know some sick people in my class who enjoy being branded a "man whore". as if it's something to be proud of.

But I could never inflict that kind of pain on another, it can be traumatic. Even if that person hurt me and cheated on me, I know better than to lower myself that low. No point once you are hurt emotionally, no amount of retribution will take away that initial hurt, so no point.

ReputationRep:
    So you don't subscribe to the opinion of 'once a cheat, always a cheat?' May I ask why?
    No I don't think that's the case to be honest, I've always found that a bit harsh. There's usually circumstances leading to people cheating (and I'm not saying it's right in any way) so to just assume they'd cheat forever in every relationship is a bit extreme
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Not if I could help it. I'd rather leave someone first than cheat on them.

ReputationRep:
    nope, i couldnt do it
    im a strong believer that if your going to cheat, just end it with your current bf/gf first.
    it saves the lies and hurt and effort of concealing the lie and trying to keep up with it
    it will also save the bad reputation and future implications in future relations

ReputationRep:
    Nooo.

It can completely ruin people. And I can't imagine myself even looking at someone else.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so, but I've never been in a situation where I've wanted to, so can't say for sure.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't imagine what it felt like to be cheated on a bit over a year ago, till it happened to me after 3 years and 4 months of being with someone. Let me tell you, it's not something I would wish on anyone not even Hitler. It changed me, for better or worse overall I'm still not sure yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Not if I could help it. I'd rather leave someone first than cheat on them.
    Surely if you've left them you can't actually cheat on them as you are no longer with them?

ReputationRep:
    I would not cheat: that insidious feeling of guilt would gnaw away at me tbh

(Original post by TreeFellOnMe)
    I couldn't imagine what it felt like to be cheated on a bit over a year ago, till it happened to me after 3 years and 4 months of being with someone. Let me tell you, it's not something I would wish on anyone not even Hitler. It changed me, for better or worse overall I'm still not sure yet.
    I feel the same - I was cheated on by a girl I compeltely adored, and who seemed to adore me - completely inexplicable really - and it has changed me, perhaps irrevocably, although, as you say, I can't say whether for better or worse.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Highly unlikely, 99% sure I wouldnt. Its to do with respect for your partner and yourself. Its also likely to be hurtful to your partner and a lot of hassle if they found out plus guilt in hiding it. You cna never say never though because who knows what situations might occur, but am sure it would have to be extreme circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    No & no. If you're having thoughts like that, your SO deserves better.

ReputationRep:
    NO. That's a straight NO!

I have cheated, I guess, but I was in a very unstable place at the time. I'd just gone through some of the toughest weeks of my life and was not in the right place. Basically, I'd been in an emotionally abusive relationship where a lot of stuff had happened, and we broke up. More stuff happened after we broke up (the really tough part) before I decided to cut him off. A while later, I was kind of seeing this boy and ended up going back to my ex. He did the whole "I miss you, I really want you back" thing and I completely fell for it, he had me wrapped around his finger. My ex then told the boy I was seeing, and they both told everyone and everyone despised me for ages. I don't blame them, but I was vulnerable, stupid, and I'm also pretty sure my ex had planned it out.

That was 5 years ago. I am now in a committed, long term relationship and would never cheat on my boyfriend. He is wonderful to me and I love him very much. I would never ever dream of hurting him or betraying his trust.

Personally, I think the "once a cheat always a cheat" is down to personal circumstance. Before and after the incident, I was a very faithful person - I just lost my way in my own troubles. My best friend in secondary school would cheat all the time because she loved the drama, and craved the attention she got from boys. If you're willing to change, you will.

ReputationRep:
    Never say Never, but unlikely for me.

ReputationRep:
    If you're cheating you either have a sexual impulse and just can't control yourself.
    In that case why bother getting in a relationship, you predator.

Or you have a strong sexual compulsion, where it's damn near an addiction.
    In that case why bother getting in a relationship, you psycho. Seek help and don't involve people in your mess.

ReputationRep:
    Never, I can't even flirt with a girl who's in a relationship.

Why get into a relationship if you're not going to stay committed?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.