Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Basically, I want to buy a new laptop and I saw the MacBook pro got a 200 pound reduction to 699.99 on PCworld but then I also heard that the Macbook pro is now 4 years old (the one without retina display). So I was wondering whether it would be worth the money to get this laptop.

If not I am up for suggestions on similar laptops with a 13.3 inch screen and an i5 processor!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chignesh10)
    Hey guys,

Basically, I want to buy a new laptop and I saw the MacBook pro got a 200 pound reduction to 699.99 on PCworld but then I also heard that the Macbook pro is now 4 years old (the one without retina display). So I was wondering whether it would be worth the money to get this laptop.

If not I am up for suggestions on similar laptops with a 13.3 inch screen and an i5 processor!
    The non-Retina Pro is garbage, it's way too old and even at £699 is twice as expensive as it should be. For your budget you could get a substantially better Windows ultrabook, most brands have a range or two so have a read around and see what you can find that fits your needs/budget;
    *Asus Zenbook
    *Dell XPS
    *HP Envy/Spectre
    *Lenovo Yoga 700/900, or Yoga 3 Pro
    *Microsoft Surface

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The non-Retina Pro is garbage, it's way too old and even at £699 is twice as expensive as it should be. For your budget you could get a substantially better Windows ultrabook, most brands have a range or two so have a read around and see what you can find that fits your needs/budget;
    *Asus Zenbook
    *Dell XPS
    *HP Envy/Spectre
    *Lenovo Yoga 700/900, or Yoga 3 Pro
    *Microsoft Surface
    Something like this ? http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comput...37769-pdt.html
    Is it relatively new?
    Also it doesn't have a DVD drive so little bit annoying haha but not that big a deal

ReputationRep:
    Something like this ? http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comput...37769-pdt.html
    Is it relatively new?
    Also it doesn't have a DVD drive so little bit annoying haha but not that big a deal
    Apple are pretty much the only company on the market still selling a laptop that old, so everything else will be fairly new. You just want to make sure you're getting a fifth or sixth generation i5 or i7 processor, which you can tell by looking at the number after the processor name, for example in the link you've just posted it has a Core i5-6200U processor, denoting that it's a sixth gen model.

For upwards of £500, don't get a laptop with either a Core i3, Pentium, Celeron or AMD processor. The only other processor you are likely to encounter is a Core M, which while much less powerful than a Core i5 or i7 will typically only be found in extremely slim laptops with no moving parts (so they operate silently).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Apple are pretty much the only company on the market still selling a laptop that old, so everything else will be fairly new. You just want to make sure you're getting a fifth or sixth generation i5 or i7 processor, which you can tell by looking at the number after the processor name, for example in the link you've just posted it has a Core i5-6200U processor, denoting that it's a sixth gen model.

For upwards of £500, don't get a laptop with either a Core i3, Pentium, Celeron or AMD processor. The only other processor you are likely to encounter is a Core M, which while much less powerful than a Core i5 or i7 will typically only be found in extremely slim laptops with no moving parts (so they operate silently).
    Ahhh,didn't know that about the processes thanks a lot. Would you think the link icposted above Is a good deal ?

Looks quite good but can get it 50 quix cheaper for 125 GB . is that a lot of memory?

Lastly is there any way of attaching an external DVD drive

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at the razer blade stealth, its 999$ in the US, not sure how much would it be in the UK (700 pound?), but the laptop is extremely portable (slim and light weight) and quite powerful with i7 6th gen and QHD screen. Might be a little overpriced.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh,didn't know that about the processes thanks a lot. Would you think the link icposted above Is a good deal ?

Looks quite good but can get it 50 quix cheaper for 125 GB . is that a lot of memory?

These laptops offer a similar sort of value proposition as MacBooks are known for, you could spend less money and get similar performance but it's things like the premium build quality, slim design, and high quality displays that drive the price up. In the context of other ultrabooks, it's a solid deal.

For the sake of £50 I'd get the 256GB model, the amount of storage people need and use is very subjective but when the price difference is relatively small and still within budget, it's nice to have the flexibility of additional space.

Yes, you can purchase USB connected optical disk drives from places like Amazon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hammoud779)
    Take a look at the razer blade stealth, its 999$ in the US, not sure how much would it be in the UK (700 pound?), but the laptop is extremely portable (slim and light weight) and quite powerful with i7 6th gen and QHD screen. Might be a little overpriced.
    Putting aside that the Stealth has not launched in the UK, we're never that lucky with exchange rates unfortunately! For example the $1999 Razer Blade 2016 costs £1799 here.

ReputationRep:
    I would wait until June when the new Macs are released and get a 2016 MacBook Air with student discount (it will most likely be upgraded with Retina) or a reduced price 2015 MacBook Pro Retina. They will be close to your budget. The XPS, Zenbook and Envy are good but they all have drawbacks (most notably battery life) whereas Macs tend to tick all the boxes and last longer with higher resale value. Personally I think the only laptop that closely competes with the MacBook Pro is the Surface Book but it's a fair bit more expensive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.