Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Molten copper struggles to break down Big Mac, stunning the internet Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    When the world ends, we’re pretty sure cockroaches will survive. And now it appears Big Macs will too, after a video of the iconic McDonald’s sandwich remaining intact after being covered with molten copper goes viral.

Having already clocked up over three million views on YouTube, user Tito4re is seen dousing the double cheeseburger with the secret-sauce-colored copper at a melting point of 1,085 degrees Celsius.

As flames burn all around the burger bun, the meat itself stays in relatively good shape with the molten copper basically bouncing off the patty.

Read More:

https://www.rt.com/viral/335956-molten-copper-big-mac/

ReputationRep:
    its awful! did you see the post of the women who had chicken nuggets left in her cupboard for 6 years?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    its awful! did you see the post of the women who had chicken nuggets left in her cupboard for 6 years?
    I read that, she read, she belived the box would decompose before the meal, this stuff is legal poison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    I read that, she read, she belived the box would decompose before the meal, this stuff is legal poison.
    i imagine our bodies have a hard time breaking it down especially if molton cant do it

ReputationRep:
    i imagine our bodies have a hard time breaking it down especially if molton cant do it
    It's just the fatty juices within the burger creating a barrier between the molten copper and the burger itself, that's why it just slides off and only singes the outside. You could do this with any piece of meat and get the same results.

Not defending McDonald's food btw, that stuff is still absolute cancer in a box.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, should it be doing something else? Wouldn't the Leidenfrost effect protect any other burger? It's just low quality beef and bread, it's not magic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    I mean, should it be doing something else? Wouldn't the Leidenfrost effect protect any other burger? It's just low quality beef and bread, it's not magic.
    Yes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leidenfrost_effect

disappointing for a student forum really

ReputationRep:
    Why is a burger being impervious to molten metal a bad thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    While McDonald's food is like an edible tumour, the burning thing has nothing to do with all the crap it contains. As the bread burns, it forms a barrier that doesn't let the copper enter the bread and so it just slides off. Same with the meat, the surface burns and the juices evaporate again blocking the metal from entering the burger and burning it further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)
    It's just the fatty juices within the burger creating a barrier between the molten copper and the burger itself, that's why it just slides off and only singes the outside. You could do this with any piece of meat and get the same results.

Not defending McDonald's food btw, that stuff is still absolute cancer in a box.
    and this is why i should read threads before replying :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    It also didn't "survive" it. That thing got burnt to a crisp :-/

It is pretty cool to watch though and is counter-intuitive to "common sense". Myth busters did something similar where they dipped their hands in molten metal.

We got enzymes innit.

ReputationRep:
    Don't see what the big deal is.
    Chuck any molton metal on a food with fat and water in it and the water will flash to boiling point and create a steam barrier for the metal to just roll off.

ReputationRep:
    Lol at both the people who think this proves McDonalds food is ****, and the people who point out that it doesn't but preface their answer with "McDonalds is cancer in a box though!!"

ReputationRep:
    McDonalds is actually better quality in the UK than people give it credit for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    That video was pretty cool. Watching all the others on that channel now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    McDonalds is actually better quality in the UK than people give it credit for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ^this

When I worked there I did ordering and deliveries and stuff so some of the business model started to make sense to me. I don't know the exact numbers, but I'm pretty sure the meat there is either a loss leader or close to it. They spend pretty big money on it. Their margins definitely come from fries and drinks. You can tell because even if they bought oven fries from Tesco there would still be something like a 300% markup. Our store ordered over a ton of fries a week on average.

ReputationRep:
    They could kill it with more fire.

ReputationRep:
    Should've mixed a little iron oxide with some aluminium and a nice magnesium strip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody_Pigeon)
    Should've mixed a little iron oxide with some aluminium and a nice magnesium strip
    Thermite can't melt Big Macs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Thermite can't melt Big Macs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not even if I mixed in sulphur and barium nitrate?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.