Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

So, I am doing a science report. I have some raw data, which basically is the complications associated with a particular type of operation. I am using two discrete groups, basically, less experienced surgeons (<200 operations performed) and more experienced )>500 operations performed).

What I wanting to do:

1) Make a pie chart showing the percentage shift of the risks. (Thats ok, have that covered, just including it for the sake of completion).

2) Use a graph to show the trend, that with experience, the risk of complications decreases across the board. I thought, X axis would be the complications, Y axis the percentage of documentated cases; and then use a bar/column chart to show this info. Am I along the right lines.....?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apronedsamurai)
    Hi!

So, I am doing a science report. I have some raw data, which basically is the complications associated with a particular type of operation. I am using two discrete groups, basically, less experienced surgeons (<200 operations performed) and more experienced )>500 operations performed).

What I wanting to do:

1) Make a pie chart showing the percentage shift of the risks. (Thats ok, have that covered, just including it for the sake of completion).

2) Use a graph to show the trend, that with experience, the risk of complications decreases across the board. I thought, X axis would be the complications, Y axis the percentage of documentated cases; and then use a bar/column chart to show this info. Am I along the right lines.....?
    You need to look at experience along the x-axis (as that is what is changing) and complication frequency on the y axis (which is what is being measured). I am not sure what your data set looks like. Assuming that it is frequency of complication (e.g. 100 ops to 120 ops => 20 complications) then you have a data set for discrete data which you could illustrate with bars but I am not enough of a statistician to say that is the best illustration. Have a looks at stats stack exchange for good advice on that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.