Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Can anyone help with questions 2b and 3?

For 2b I get negative answers, and surely r dot isn't negative as velocity can't be negative.

Thanks!
    Attached Images

• Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by casiocrate)
    Hi,

Can anyone help with questions 2b and 3?

For 2b I get negative answers, and surely r dot isn't negative as velocity can't be negative.

Thanks!
    2b. r dot will be negative until the mass reaches position X - see diagram.

3. Most of the information given is redundant for working out the relative velocities.

What's the velocity of A? And of B? You may find it useful to slap in a coordinate system - standard Cartesian.

Then for relative velocities:
    From A's point of view, velocity B - velocity A.

In a similar fashion for B's.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    You're back!

ReputationRep:
    2b. r dot will be negative until the mass reaches position X - see diagram.

3. Most of the information given is redundant for working out the relative velocities.

What's the velocity of A? And of B? You may find it useful to slap in a coordinate system - standard Cartesian.

Then for relative velocities:
    From A's point of view, velocity B - velocity A.

In a similar fashion for B's.

For Q3, my professor gave a hint about reading about angular velocity. I understand that car B is moving on a circular path, but I'm not sure how I should incorporate it here.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    For Q3, my professor gave a hint about reading about angular velocity. I understand that car B is moving on a circular path, but I'm not sure how I should incorporate it here.
    I assumed that there was more to the question than you'd posted and as such were only interested in the relative velocites at the instance given, for this part.

However, if you're interested in the relative velocites at any time:

If we have the angular velocity, we can work out the position and hence velocity (differentiate) of car B at any time, t say. And then proceed as before.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not sure what is wanted exactly, the question was given as above and the hint was passed on to me after I'd posted, so now I am slightly confused, but I'll give the second suggestion a try (I'm not really sure how though, I struggle with mechanics).
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Well I'm not sure what is wanted exactly, the question was given as above and the hint was passed on to me after I'd posted, so now I am slightly confused, but I'll give the second suggestion a try (I'm not really sure how though, I struggle with mechanics).
    I'd start by assuming at t=0 the position is as per diagram.

Then, knowing the speed of car B, we can work out it's angular velocity. Hence we can work out the angle through which it's turned by time t, and get it's position....

ReputationRep:
    I'd start by assuming at t=0 the position is as per diagram.

Then, knowing the speed of car B, we can work out it's angular velocity. Hence we can work out the angle through which it's turned by time t, and get it's position....
    Thanks.

So here's where I got up to. It's probably wrong.

At t=0s, r(A) = -100i r(B) = 70j (not really sure where/how I use these)
    v(A) = 20i m/s
    Angular velocity = linear velocity/radius of circular path = 35/70 = 0.5 rad/s
    Therefore theta = 0.5t rad

r(B) = xi + yj where x = rcos(wt) and y = rsin(wt) so r = rcos(wt)i + rsin(wt)j

Differentiating:

v(B) = rwcos(wt)j - rwsin(wt)i = 35cos(0.5t)j - 35sin(0.5t)i

Then v(A/B) = v(A) - v(B) = 20i - (35cos(0.5t)j - 35sin(0.5t)i) = (20 + 35sin(0.5t)i -35cos(0.5t)j m/s

v(B/A) = v(B)- v(A) = 35cos(0.5t)j - 35sin(0.5t)i - 20i = 35cos(0.5t)j - (35sin(0.5t) + 20)i m/s

EDIT: would v(A/B) actually be v(A) + v(B) since v(B) is moving in the opposite direction? and similar for v(B/A)?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Thanks.

So here's where I got up to. It's probably wrong.

At t=0s, r(A) = -100i r(B) = 70j (not really sure where/how I use these)
    v(A) = 20i m/s
    Angular velocity = linear velocity/radius of circular path = 35/70 = 0.5 rad/s
    Therefore theta = 0.5t rad

r(B) = xi + yj where x = rcos(wt) and y = rsin(wt) so r = rcos(wt)i + rsin(wt)j
    At the starting position OB is perpendicular to OA, and the angle is measured counterclockwise from that initial line, i.e. OB.

So, r(B)= - rsin(wt)i + rcos(wt)j

and follow through with that.

Differentiating:

v(B) = rwcos(wt)j - rwsin(wt)i = 35cos(0.5t)j - 35sin(0.5t)i

Then v(A/B) = v(A) - v(B) = 20i - (35cos(0.5t)j - 35sin(0.5t)i) = (20 + 35sin(0.5t)i -35cos(0.5t)j m/s

v(B/A) = v(B)- v(A) = 35cos(0.5t)j - 35sin(0.5t)i - 20i = 35cos(0.5t)j - (35sin(0.5t) + 20)i m/s
    The idea is sound, but see my previous comment.

EDIT: would v(A/B) actually be v(A) + v(B) since v(B) is moving in the opposite direction? and similar for v(B/A)?
    Since we're dealing with vector quantities, the direction is catered for, so:

v(A/B) = v(A) - v(B)

This will always be the case.

ReputationRep:
    At the starting position OB is perpendicular to OA, and the angle is measured counterclockwise from that initial line, i.e. OB.

So, r(B)= - rsin(wt)i + rcos(wt)j

and follow through with that.

The idea is sound, but see my previous comment.

Since we're dealing with vector quantities, the direction is catered for, so:

v(A/B) = v(A) - v(B)

This will always be the case.
    Thanks!I ended up with the same result as using v(A) = 20i and v(B) = -35i when t = 0 (v(A/B) = 55i m/s and v(B/A) = -55i m/s), so I'm guessing I formulated the position vector for B correctly(?).
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Thanks!I ended up with the same result as using v(A) = 20i and v(B) = -35i when t = 0 (v(A/B) = 55i m/s and v(B/A) = -55i m/s), so I'm guessing I formulated the position vector for B correctly(?).
    If you're following my previous post, I'd agree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.