The Student Room Group

A level self study pls help

Does anyone know if there is any way in which I would be able to self-study some and A-Levels simply through use of textbooks purchased on Amazon and then eventually be able to sit the exams at a centre at which I do not normally attend? I am currently studying Scottish qualifications too but remain keen to supplement poor scores in National 5 exams with better results in English qualifications... Any help would me greatly appreciated, Thanks
Maths A-level? Fo sho. Just grab a text book and work through the examples--plenty of tutorials online just in case you don't get anything. Same goes for further maths, really. Any kind of maths is easy when you just do the past papers.
Reply 2
Original post by TobyReichelt
Maths A-level? Fo sho. Just grab a text book and work through the examples--plenty of tutorials online just in case you don't get anything. Same goes for further maths, really. Any kind of maths is easy when you just do the past papers.

thanks man ill look into that definitely, cheers
It's the -ologies that you want to look out for--because they require a lot of info in not a lot of time. Mathematics, maybe engineering, will be fine. Hell, if you've got a temperament to argue then English Lit is easily an option. Maybe Physics, because of the maths in it, but there is some complex stuff which I'd say DOES require a teacher.
Reply 4
Original post by TobyReichelt
It's the -ologies that you want to look out for--because they require a lot of info in not a lot of time. Mathematics, maybe engineering, will be fine. Hell, if you've got a temperament to argue then English Lit is easily an option. Maybe Physics, because of the maths in it, but there is some complex stuff which I'd say DOES require a teacher.

do you know if economics could viably done in this way?
Reply 5
Hi I self taught biology, chemistry and maths. It's definitely possible.
What subjects are you doing?

More than happy to offer my advice/answer any questions.

In terms of studying, it really depends on your subjects.
For mine I started off by taking notes from the text books and supplemented my revision by watching YouTube videos around the topics (I'm mainly a visual/audio learner). I spent most of my time doing exam papers and practice questions. Use other exam board papers too as there is often much overlap but make sure you know what overlaps and what you don't need to know.

In terms of finding a centre, I googled colleges and sixth forms in my local area and called them to ask if they took on external candidates. Once I had found a few I chose 1 based on cost and distance from my house.

Again, happy to answer any questions.
Reply 6
Original post by MeeraP07
Hi I self taught biology, chemistry and maths. It's definitely possible.
What subjects are you doing?

More than happy to offer my advice/answer any questions.

In terms of studying, it really depends on your subjects.
For mine I started off by taking notes from the text books and supplemented my revision by watching YouTube videos around the topics (I'm mainly a visual/audio learner). I spent most of my time doing exam papers and practice questions. Use other exam board papers too as there is often much overlap but make sure you know what overlaps and what you don't need to know.

In terms of finding a centre, I googled colleges and sixth forms in my local area and called them to ask if they took on external candidates. Once I had found a few I chose 1 based on cost and distance from my house.

Again, happy to answer any questions.

Think I will attempt to study Maths, Economics and Biology, I am mainly a visual learner too and so should find videos etc helpful. Will get in touch if necessary, thanks
Reply 7
No problem I actually uploaded loads of resources to a google drive so you may find the Bio and Maths ones useful! The link is: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5eZEYkqM9hmUTFod25kMm1WN28&usp=sharing

Hope this helps!

Original post by ahgh233432
Think I will attempt to study Maths, Economics and Biology, I am mainly a visual learner too and so should find videos etc helpful. Will get in touch if necessary, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest