Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Struggling to get well defined abs :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to bulk at the moment and get a more muscular figure but whenever I eat loads it seems like I gain a lot of belly fat instead. I train about 4/5 times a week lifting heavy/doing crunches etc plus eat pretty healthily right now, oats, bananas, nuts, seeds, pasta, quinoa, couscous, humous etc. I've been training for almost 5 months now, made some noticeable gains but I don't seem to be making any progress abs wise. What could I be doing wrong? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    I'm trying to bulk at the moment and get a more muscular figure but whenever I eat loads it seems like I gain a lot of belly fat instead. I train about 4/5 times a week lifting heavy/doing crunches etc plus eat pretty healthily right now, oats, bananas, nuts, seeds, pasta, quinoa, couscous, humous etc. I've been training for almost 5 months now, made some noticeable gains but I don't seem to be making any progress abs wise. What could I be doing wrong? Thanks.
    Could just be genetics?

ReputationRep:
    The best advice would be to stop worrying and focus on the big lifts, you're a young guy so you have plenty of time to be the ****boi who lives on the beach.

Do loads of benchpress, squats and deadlift, only worry about your abs when you can bench 100kg, deadlift at least 150kg etc.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like you're not multi talented after all

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Don't dirty bulk
    Keep progressing
    Worry about abs when you have something to show

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Getting a sixpack is more like 70% what you eat and cardio and 30% how you train your abs.
    If you don't start paying attention to your eating habits and start doing cardio like running or cycling a few times a week, you will never get the sixpack you're dreaming of.
    So if I was you I would put my eating scheme somewhere online, maybe thats wrong somewhere, because if you eat that healthy, its impossible to gain only belly fat.
    Hope this was of any sort of help!

ReputationRep:
    cardio. Make sure u do it, at least 10-20min before workout. your weightlifting doesn't burn your belly fat.

Make sure your belly is sweating!

ReputationRep:
    If you've only been lifting 5 months and you've gained a significant amount of fat, you're eating too much. As a newbie you can gain just as well gaining little to no fat. Conversely, don't expect to be bringing your abs out whilst bulking - that would entail losing fat, which requires a caloric deficit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zionpower)
    cardio. Make sure u do it, at least 10-20min before workout. your weightlifting doesn't burn your belly fat.

Make sure your belly is sweating!
    but I want to gain weight as well, I don't wanna stay skinny...
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    but I want to gain weight as well, I don't wanna stay skinny...
    Build your size, worry about abs later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Build your size, worry about abs later
    Ok would this plan help me to get me a 6 pack?
    -Continue bulking for a few more months
    -Continue with training (do lots of squats, deadlifts, abs crunches etc)
    -Cut after bulking is finished to lower bodyfat if abs aren't visible
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Ok would this plan help me to get me a 6 pack?
    -Continue bulking for a few more months
    -Continue with training (do lots of squats, deadlifts, abs crunches etc)
    -Cut after bulking is finished to lower bodyfat if abs aren't visible
    - Count your calories
    - small surplus
    - Run a beginner programme
    - Get much stronger than you are
    - When you're stalling consistently, somewhere around 100 bench 1rm, 140 squat, 180deadlift. You may be slightly weaker/ stronger. Then consider cutting; I personally would just recomp

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.