The Student Room Group

Analysis questions

This may sound like a stupid question, but if a function has a second derivative, does that mean it has a first derivative?

Also, if a function f : (0,1) --> R is 2 times differentiable, does that mean f : (x,x+h) --> R is 2 times differentiable? (x and x+h are in the interval (0,1)
Reply 1
Original post by asdfyolo

Also, if a function f : (0,1) --> R is 2 times differentiable, does that mean f : (x,x+h) --> R is 2 times differentiable? (x and x+h are in the interval (0,1)

Are you saying that (x,x+h)(0,1)(x, x+h) \subset (0,1)?
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
Are you saying that (x,x+h)(0,1)(x, x+h) \subset (0,1)?

yes
Reply 3
yes

I can't see why that wouldn't be two times differentiable, but I'd gladly be corrected by someone else.
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
I can't see why that wouldn't be two times differentiable, but I'd gladly be corrected by someone else.

Thanks. How would you go about proving that the limit of (f(x+h)+f(x-h)-2f(x))/h^2 as h tends to zero is the second derivative, using taylor's theorem?
Reply 5
Thanks. How would you go about proving that the limit of (f(x+h)+f(x-h)-2f(x))/h^2 as h tends to zero is the second derivative, using taylor's theorem?

If you're using Taylor's Theorem, this does however assume that the function is twice differentiable at xx.
Write: f(x+h)=f(x)+hf(x)+h22f(x)+O(h3)f(x+h)=f(x)+hf'(x)+\dfrac{h^2}{2}f''(x)+\mathcal{O}(h^3).
Expand f(xh)f(x-h) similarly and the result follows.

Quick Reply

Latest