Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I now have all my offers in which is great. However, I'm stuck between studying at Aberdeen, or Strathclyde. I've read on various sights that their isn't necessarily a lot to do in Aberdeen, but maybe someone with personal experience may be able to tell me different.
    I currently kinda fancy Strathclyde, Glasgow sounds, and looks exciting, and vibrant as a city. I have an applicants day there in a few weeks which I'm quite excited about. However, friends keep telling me I'll get jumped or slashed, or worse...stabbed in Glasgow. I've now become kinda obsessed with What they have been saying. I don't want to be put off by the stereotypical horror stories that I'm hearing....or reading about because I really do want to have the opportunity of going there if I decide to do so. Is it that bad ??? I wouldn't want to go and be scared to step outside my accommodation, or spend my time looking over my shoulder for fear of attack. Any info (good or bad) from anyone familiar with Glasgow would be much appreciated. I do hope I'm not offending anyone. That's certainly not my intention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by egg face)
    I now have all my offers in which is great. However, I'm stuck between studying at Aberdeen, or Strathclyde. I've read on various sights that their isn't necessarily a lot to do in Aberdeen, but maybe someone with personal experience may be able to tell me different.
    I currently kinda fancy Strathclyde, Glasgow sounds, and looks exciting, and vibrant as a city. I have an applicants day there in a few weeks which I'm quite excited about. However, friends keep telling me I'll get jumped or slashed, or worse...stabbed in Glasgow. I've now become kinda obsessed with What they have been saying. I don't want to be put off by the stereotypical horror stories that I'm hearing....or reading about because I really do want to have the opportunity of going there if I decide to do so. Is it that bad ??? I wouldn't want to go and be scared to step outside my accommodation, or spend my time looking over my shoulder for fear of attack. Any info (good or bad) from anyone familiar with Glasgow would be much appreciated. I do hope I'm not offending anyone. That's certainly not my intention.
    Somebody must have an opinion. Honestly. I would really appreciate any input.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the open day at Glasgow. It'll tell you far more about the city than we could.

I went to Edinburgh' to check it out and loved it, plus Scots in general are super-friendly. I'm Canadian, though, so your money may vary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    Go to the open day at Glasgow. It'll tell you far more about the city than we could.

I went to Edinburgh' to check it out and loved it, plus Scots in general are super-friendly. I'm Canadian, though, so your money may vary.
    Thanks for the reply. I know,I may find out more at the open day. It's just I was hoping someone who had actually experienced being a student in Glasgow could either ease or support my fears.
    Edinburgh is a lovely city. You will definitely have made a good choice if you go there.

ReputationRep:
    My son's in his second year at Strathclyde and loves it and hasn't encountered any violence. A lot of the stabbings are on estates away from the city centre with rival gangs attacking each other. He has found Glasgow to be a friendly city with loads to do. When I visit him I never find wandering round Glasgow centre at night scary.
    On the other hand my stepson who lives in Edinburgh has just had his nose broken after a fight in a pub.
    If you're a young bloke take care in pubs and night clubs in any city centre.
    (I don't find Edinburgh a scary place to wander round after dark either he was just unlucky)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taysidefrog)
    My son's in his second year at Strathclyde and loves it and hasn't encountered any violence. A lot of the stabbings are on estates away from the city centre with rival gangs attacking each other. He has found Glasgow to be a friendly city with loads to do. When I visit him I never find wandering round Glasgow centre at night scary.
    On the other hand my stepson who lives in Edinburgh has just had his nose broken after a fight in a pub.
    If you're a young bloke take care in pubs and night clubs in any city centre.
    (I don't find Edinburgh a scary place to wander round after dark either he was just unlucky)
    Thanks for the reply. What you've said has kinda put it into perspective. I suppose being in the wrong place at the wrong time can happen in any city.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry Glasgow isn't like that hahaa. Its as safe a city as any others and the stories can be exaggerated. There's lots to do there and it's a great city. Honestly it's not scary at all, and just as you would in any other place you have to be just as vigilant. I don't know whether to study at RGU or strathclyde either. Do you know which course people are saying is better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fii101)
    Don't worry Glasgow isn't like that hahaa. Its as safe a city as any others and the stories can be exaggerated. There's lots to do there and it's a great city. Honestly it's not scary at all, and just as you would in any other place you have to be just as vigilant. I don't know whether to study at RGU or strathclyde either. Do you know which course people are saying is better?
    Thanks for the reply. The more I'm hearing about Glasgow the more I can't wait to actually go.
    Sorry. My offer was from Aberdeen, not RGU, so don't know anything about the coursework there.
    But I know that Strathclyde is higher ranked than RGU if that has any bearing on your choice.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 22, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.