Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you ever date somebody mentally ill? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It certainly wouldn't put me off in itself, there are some mental health cases where a romantic relationship would not be beneficial to the individual or the person they're with and they need to get help before getting involved with anyone but in general, I have no problem

ReputationRep:
    As I would with any potential partner, I would have to consider how the relationship would effect my own mental illnesses.

ReputationRep:
    I have done it before, and honestly? No. It's easy to say you would until you get into a relationship with someone. I like to keep my life as simple and fun as possible, and in my experience you simply underestimate how mental health issues undermine these things.

ReputationRep:
    That really depends on the illness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Depends if they're willing to admit they have a problem and get help and support, if the answer to that is no then I'd never date them.

ReputationRep:
    depends
    i had a really good friend who liked me more then a friend and he was a paranoid schizophrenic. hed never hurt me and always protected me but he did say the voices were telling him to kill me.
    although i knew he wouldnt, i wouldnt be able to trust it

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the severity. If it is really severe, I may not find the person attractive as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    Mentally ill is one large umbrella you got there. Be specific

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Mentally ill is one large umbrella you got there. Be specific
    Criminally insane?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Probably not. I don't think I could deal with their **** as well as my own **** (I have been diagnosed with a psychotic disorder). However, if my wife developed a mental illness, I would really do my best to make things work. She makes things work with me and is an absolute rock, I don't think I'd be here without her support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Criminally insane?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    F no
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Depends on the illness.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the illness . As long as we have a healthy relationship then I'd totally date them😊.

ReputationRep:
    of course i would

ReputationRep:
    No, in my experience, being with mentally ill people has made my life worse.

ReputationRep:
    I dated a self-harmer.
    Messed up ****. Especially when you're on the phone to them and they pass out from blood loss. True story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illness)
    Would you?
    What do you mean by "mentally ill"? What illnesses that a person has could be counted as "mentally ill"? Do you mean depression, anxiety, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's? Does autism count? This is a very vague question.

ReputationRep:
    Mentally ill. Aren't most people, at some point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illness)
    Would you?
    Without a shadow of a doubt. Even the mentally unwell need loving some time...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes but it more depends on their willingness to accept they have an illness and are willing to get help, rather than what condition they have. They would have to be accepting of my own MH conditions too. We would both have to help each other.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.