Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you ever date somebody mentally ill? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Yes but it more depends on their willingness to accept they have an illness and are willing to get help, rather than what condition they have. They would have to be accepting of my own MH conditions too. We would both have to help each other.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :wtf: .... What are you doing @WoodyMKC I thought you already had a gf? :laugh:

https://gyazo.com/775db092d17f28ad6df2196ab55b1fd0

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    It does depend on the mental illness. I'm not going to pretend I'm a saint - but yeah, I can deal with most mental illnesses. Having studied Psychology a degree level for a year and at A Level I have a good understanding of most common illnesses so feel I could support and understand the person well.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people saying depends on what illness it is. Please elaborate?

ReputationRep:
    If there's a possibility of a long lasting, healthy relationship then certainly.

ReputationRep:
    Of course
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by kristen2)
    I have thought about this a bit more.

Situation 1 Would you begin to date someone who had a mental illness.
    Situation 2 would you continue to date someone once you knew they had a mental illness or it began dyrung the relationship?

1. Then it depends, but if you know beforehand youd factor it all in. Its a gamble and its just another thing to take into account.

2. I think in that situation then you are under a duty to try and support your gf/bf to help them get better.

Which ones could I deal with? depression, anxiety, maybe an eating disorder and maybe self harming. Im pretty strong, byt as said above it would have to be with a view to getting them better as I wouldnt wnat to be trapped the same way as them. It cna be very tiring.

the ones id have problems with are things like schizophrenia and very serious self harming becayse they are pretty heavyweight. id weigh it up based on their personality, the relayionship and whether I could help.

It really goes beyond dating i,e going on dates and fun stuff becayse its the elephant in the room, so id have to know i could do some good and its soemthing i could handle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom;[url="tel:63475029")
    63475029[/url]]I wouldn't rule it out completely, and it depends what they have, how badly it affects them and whether I could handle it. I have depression myself, so someone more stable is ideal for me tbh to balance things out.
    I remember you haven't seen you here in a long time.

ReputationRep:
    OP I would be a hypocrite if I said no so I would but I would prefer someone less unstable than me. :emo:

ReputationRep:
    it depends upon the condition and severity so say psychosis and schizophrenia then no i wouldn't but if it was anxiety or depression then yes it would be up for consideration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kristen2)
    Criminally insane.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illness)
    Would you?
    Depends on what the illness is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Criminally insane.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    What is this?
    When someone is so crazy they lock them up. Think Hannibal (the Cannibal) not the general.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howbeit)
    It does depend on the mental illness. I'm not going to pretend I'm a saint - but yeah, I can deal with most mental illnesses. Having studied Psychology a degree level for a year and at A Level I have a good understanding of most common illnesses so feel I could support and understand the person well.
    In my experience often people who have studied psychology tend to be less accepting because they see mental illness more clinically and purely think in terms of you'll get better with this med and that therapy and that'll be it. Although I have done a lot of research on my diagnoses and obviously live with them myself I wouldn't ever claim to have a 'good understanding' of how they affect other people because my experience of my condition is different to someone else's experience of the same condition. We might relate to each other but I can only understand what they would be going through by listening to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indieboohoo1)
    I remember you haven't seen you here in a long time.
    Oh yeah, I remember you too :wavey:. I'm not as addicted to TSR as I used to be, but I still pop in every now and again

ReputationRep:
    Most people today are mentally ill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    In my experience often people who have studied psychology tend to be less accepting because they see mental illness more clinically and purely think in terms of you'll get better with this med and that therapy and that'll be it. Although I have done a lot of research on my diagnoses and obviously live with them myself I wouldn't ever claim to have a 'good understanding' of how they affect other people because my experience of my condition is different to someone else's experience of the same condition. We might relate to each other but I can only understand what they would be going through by listening to them.

Having studied Psychology for a year I don't pretend I fully understand mental illness and would even go as far as suggesting therapies. You can only truly understand something once having experienced it yourself - and then as you say mental illnesses affect people in different ways.

However, I stand by what I say. If my partner is depressed I have a very good understanding of how depression affects people and the type of behaviour that may result from it. This means if my partner was in a sullen mood and acting irritably I wouldn't necessarily take any offence from it or blame them for it.

I'm not sure you know many psychologists, it is definitely true with some, but I think many of those who have studied psychology (and are generally intelligent people) know that mental illness isn't a simple phenomenon and certainly can't be cured through drugs alone, only altered or suppressed through medication.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I wouldn't be able to cope. I have enough problems of my own...

I suppose it depends on the illness

Please could you fill in this quick survey, it's not long at all!!Thanks

surveymonkey.co.uk/r/Y26NTV2

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.