Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you ever date somebody mentally ill? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howbeit)
    Having studied Psychology for a year I don't pretend I fully understand mental illness and would even go as far as suggesting therapies. You can only truly understand something once having experienced it yourself - and then as you say mental illnesses affect people in different ways.

However, I stand by what I say. If my partner is depressed I have a very good understanding of how depression affects people and the type of behaviour that may result from it. This means if my partner was in a sullen mood and acting irritably I wouldn't necessarily take any offence from it or blame them for it.

I'm not sure you know many psychologists, it is definitely true with some, but I think many of those who have studied psychology (and are generally intelligent people) know that mental illness isn't a simple phenomenon and certainly can't be cured through drugs alone, only altered or suppressed through medication.
    I was first diagnosed with depression 6 years ago. I've met a lot of people in that time who think that a couple of modules in a psychology course means they know more about me than I do. You may have been a psychology student and you may be a decent person, but I'm mentally ill and I've met enough people who think they understand how I'm feeling and can support me who have no idea and when they realise they have can't cope they tell me I'm faking being ill or I don't want to get better. The people who manage to cope with my mental illnesses are those that have never claimed to understand or know how I'm feeling but want to learn so they can help me.

It's also worth noting that some mental illnesses don't have medication options at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    I was first diagnosed with depression 6 years ago. I've met a lot of people in that time who think that a couple of modules in a psychology course means they know more about me than I do. You may have been a psychology student and you may be a decent person, but I'm mentally ill and I've met enough people who think they understand how I'm feeling and can support me who have no idea and when they realise they have can't cope they tell me I'm faking being ill or I don't want to get better. The people who manage to cope with my mental illnesses are those that have never claimed to understand or know how I'm feeling but want to learn so they can help me.

It's also worth noting that some mental illnesses don't have medication options at all.
    Why don't you try eating a better (e.g. organic) diet and avoiding alcohol? These two are the biggest causes of depression.

ReputationRep:
    If I loved them then yes, but it would be a struggle since I have depression myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 41b)
    Why don't you try eating a better (e.g. organic) diet and avoiding alcohol? These two are the biggest causes of depression.
    Yay. An expert.

**** off. You know nothing about my life. But you think you know what's best for me. You don't.

ReputationRep:
    if they are not black then yes

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what it is. "Mental illness" is such a broad term.

ReputationRep:
    Yay. An expert.

**** off. You know nothing about my life. But you think you know what's best for me. You don't.

i agree with you............................. ..................

JOKES

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bassbabe)
    If I loved them then yes, but it would be a struggle since I have depression myself.
    if you loved me would you?????

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the extent of their problems and whether or not they had them when we met. To be honest, I have pretty disruptive mental health problems atm and I'm not planning on getting romantically involved with anyone until they get significantly better - it just causes too many problems. It's hard to watch how just being part of someone else's life is hurting them.

I would never judge anyone for being mentally unwell.

ReputationRep:

Oh I hope I'm not giving the impression that I know more than someone who actually has depression, I really don't mean to give that impression. I'm really sorry you have depression that must be really hard for you. I do have a good friend who has depression who talks to me, and I'm really only there to listen to him because talking helps him. I still believe studying mental illness gives me more of an insight into it than a lay person but maybe I'll realise I'm wrong if I ever get depression.

ReputationRep:
    as long as they have a 12 inch ****

ReputationRep:

You can get over depression, it isn't a chronic illness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone can develop psychological illness so why does it bother people more than say allergies?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the situation. There's a huge difference between taking medication, having therapy and having the odd bad day and depression so bad that they're constantly in hospital and I'm expected to be their carer, rather than their partner. I could not do the latter.

I used to know someone who had depression and OCD. His obsesseions were people. Unfortuantely for me, that ended up being me, which wasn't exactly appropriate. He then stopped taking his medication and got sectioned, which was apparently my fault. We no longer talk. I can't deal with that kind of ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    You can get over depression, it isn't a chronic illness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Again, why do people think they know more about the way my conditions affect me than I do?

For some people depression can be treated relatively easily through therapy and/or meds. Some people find that lots of meds give them awful side-effects. Some (like me) find that meds really don't work at all. I have BPD often that means co-morbid psychiatric diagnoses (of which I have three - depression, GAD and EDNOS) are chronic and life-long.

ReputationRep:
    Again, why do people think they know more about the way my conditions affect me than I do?

For some people depression can be treated relatively easily through therapy and/or meds. Some people find that lots of meds give them awful side-effects. Some (like me) find that meds really don't work at all. I have BPD often that means co-morbid psychiatric diagnoses (of which I have three - depression, GAD and EDNOS) are chronic and life-long.
    Ignorance, arrogance and hubris on their part.

A fool and his money are easily parted, but a fool and his opinion is not.

ReputationRep:
    Its all about perosnality mate...

ReputationRep:
    poll?

ReputationRep:
    Because you aren't thinking straight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Because you aren't thinking straight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's because I'm queer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.