Turn on thread page Beta

do past papers help you and if so how? watch

ReputationRep:
    Past papers do they reycle the questions again and again?

ReputationRep:
    I find them really helpful. It's one thing knowing your specification inside and out but it's another thing being able to apply that knowledge to questions. Like you might know all the circle theorems but if you don't know how to use these rules in an exam you're kinda screwed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazza2345)
    I find them really helpful. It's one thing knowing your specification inside and out but it's another thing being able to apply that knowledge to questions. Like you might know all the circle theorems but if you don't know how to use these rules in an exam you're kinda screwed...
    That is very true thanks for the help
    Would you firstly learn the topics then do it or... how would you do it ?
    which is the best way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    That is very true thanks for the help
    Would you firstly learn the topics then do it or... how would you do it ?
    which is the best way?
    I'd learn the topics first then do past papers; no point in doing a past paper without a clue how to do the questions! Good Luck! 😁
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    1. question spotting, familiarisation.
    2. they offer you an insight into how exams work and what they will ask you to do.
    3. they help identify your areas of weakness.
    4. you need to have a reasonable grasp of the subject before attempting any.

ReputationRep:
    Past papers do they reycle the questions again and again?
    Hey there!

Firstly, I'd like to say that a couple of my teachers have mentioned that the people who make our question papers are quite lazy and like to just change a few things in the question(very minor changes) and so if you practice a wide variety of different past papers I think would be beneficial for you.
    Secondly, I have friends that have only written past papers before their GCSE exams and have got everything 100% right. Personally I'd suggest writing past papers as they really help( I write half a past paper every evening after school!)

I really hope that helps, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BhavyaB)
    Hey there!

Firstly, I'd like to say that a couple of my teachers have mentioned that the people who make our question papers are quite lazy and like to just change a few things in the question(very minor changes) and so if you practice a wide variety of different past papers I think would be beneficial for you.
    Secondly, I have friends that have only written past papers before their GCSE exams and have got everything 100% right. Personally I'd suggest writing past papers as they really help( I write half a past paper every evening after school!)

Ooooh thank you for your advice and also when you practice past papers which year should you go back to. E.g for me 2016 what year should i do it
    is it true that they recycle questions ?

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh thank you for your advice and also when you practice past papers which year should you go back to. E.g for me 2016 what year should i do it
    is it true that they recycle questions ?
    Well my mums told me to go back a minimum of 10 years and practice from all of those but you could do like 5 years back or something but just do a good few.
    About recycling questions, I'm not exactly sure but I've heard they have similar questions in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Well my mums told me to go back a minimum of 10 years and practice from all of those but you could do like 5 years back or something but just do a good few.
    About recycling questions, I'm not exactly sure but I've heard they have similar questions in the exam.
    Oh okay i have heard about the 10 years thing too

Thanks though

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!

What do you mean write past paper? As in you make up questions and answers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samistrawberry)
    What do you mean write past paper? As in you make up questions and answers?
    Lol sorry I meant I practice answering them but I have made up my own questions before xD

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay i have heard about the 10 years thing too

Thanks though
    No problem I hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    If you're with edexcel there's deffo a pattern there every 3 years about question replication (even if its just 1 or 2)- last year my edexcel RE GCSE was almost a repeat of the 2012 paper and I got an A*. Deffo worth getting used to style of questions so you feel extra prepared on exam day and know what you're sitting down and opening your paper to see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImagineCats)
    If you're with edexcel there's deffo a pattern there every 3 years about question replication (even if its just 1 or 2)- last year my edexcel RE GCSE was almost a repeat of the 2012 paper and I got an A*. Deffo worth getting used to style of questions so you feel extra prepared on exam day and know what you're sitting down and opening your paper to see
    Yup i see that too i did a maths test and oh god i did all the papers and got A* i was soo happy....
    What about Aqa
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    1. questions are sometimes recycled or very similar
    2. you get to learn some topics better by reading the mark scheme because it's very straight forward and specific so you can lift it and reuse it
    3. you have a feel of what it's like to sit in front of a paper so it's not so much a shock when you sit the real thing
    4. you can test how much content you have remembered throughout the year :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    1. questions are sometimes recycled or very similar
    2. you get to learn some topics better by reading the mark scheme because it's very straight forward and specific so you can lift it and reuse it
    3. you have a feel of what it's like to sit in front of a paper so it's not so much a shock when you sit the real thing
    4. you can test how much content you have remembered throughout the year :-)
    Oh wow xxx that is great

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, i did the past papers just to get a brief idea of what to expect in the new ones. Why does it matter if the papers are recycled or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nam Bui)
    Honestly, i did the past papers just to get a brief idea of what to expect in the new ones. Why does it matter if the papers are recycled or not?
    Because same questions might come up and you never know well similar questions That is what everyone says

ReputationRep:
    Because same questions might come up and you never know well similar questions That is what everyone says
    Well, as long as you have covered all the topics, everything is similar. Like in maths, you will have the same kind of quadratic equations every paper, right?

ReputationRep:
    Yup i see that too i did a maths test and oh god i did all the papers and got A* i was soo happy....
    What about Aqa
    Haven't noticed it for AQA- I did German and French w/ AQA and language exams are pretty repetitive anyway so the more of those you do of any exam board the more likely you are to succeed (A* French and German over here)

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.