Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck on the question pictured. I can see it's odd cubes - even cubes but that's it? Please help Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458239013.548104.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  119.7 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by maths_4_life)
    I'm stuck on the question pictured. I can see it's odd cubes - even cubes but that's it? Please help Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458239013.548104.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  119.7 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    HAve you considered grouping the odd and even cubes together?

And once you do that, what can you do in terms of factoring out an even term?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    HAve you considered grouping the odd and even cubes together?

And once you do that, what can you do in terms of factoring out an even term?
    You mean like this....?
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458241075.561199.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  118.9 KB

Also would they always give you the intermediate step (ie to factor out 16) to help you get to the final answer? How could you just instinctively do that?...not that I've got to that stage yet...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You mean like this....?
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458241075.561199.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  118.9 KB

Also would they always give you the intermediate step (ie to factor out 16) to help you get to the final answer? How could you just instinctively do that?...not that I've got to that stage yet...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey

Sorry for the delay, when I replied to this I was thinking of the best way of approaching this question and then made a cup of coffee

So you're correct in terms of grouping the odds and evens so you should get:

1^3 +3^3 + ... + (n-1)^3 - (2^3 + 4^3 + ... + n^3)

Now regarding the second bracket, what can you do in terms of factoring terms? (hint: what do 4^3, 6^3, 8^3 all as a common factor and how can the second bracket be written as?)

In addition, notice you also have positive even terms in the final result. How do you think you can get this? (I'm in my office for a while so take your time )

To answer your question about the 16, they will most likely give you the expression that they want you to lead towards. In the exam, should you not get to this final answer though, just continue with the rest of the question so you don't lose all of your marks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Sorry for the delay, when I replied to this I was thinking of the best way of approaching this question and then made a cup of coffee

Now regarding the second bracket, what can you do in terms of factoring terms? (hint: what do 4^3, 6^3, 8^3 all as a common factor and how can the second bracket be written as?)

In addition, notice you also have positive even terms in the final result. How do you think you can get this? (I'm in my office for a while so take your time )

To answer your question about the 16, they will most likely give you the expression that they want you to lead towards. In the exam, should you not get to this final answer though, just continue with the rest of the question so you don't lose all of your marks!
    Thank you for your reply! I can see that all those numbers are factors of 16 but I don't know how I can write it like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458244938.638013.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  125.6 KBwhat about this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Check your negative and positive signs, do they equal the original expression?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Remember that if you have -(2^3 + 4^3 + 6^3 + \cdots + n^3) = -((1\times 2)^3 + (2 \times 2)^3 + (3\times 2)^2 + \cdots +(\frac{n}{2} \times 2)^3 = -2^3\left(1^3 + 2^3 + \cdots + \left(\frac{n}{2}\right)^3 \right)

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I mean this...Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458245137.576594.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  125.7 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I mean this...Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458245137.576594.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  125.7 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is correct Now how would you get the positive even cube terms? (consider adding something to the expression)

ReputationRep:
    That is correct Now how would you get the positive even cube terms? (consider adding something to the expression)
    I thought I already had the positive even cube terms.... What do I have at the moment? I'm confused sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I thought I already had the positive even cube terms.... What do I have at the moment? I'm confused sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So what you have is correct, but the expression you have is: 1^3 + 3^3 + ... + (n-1)^3, whereas you want to have as the final bit: 1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 ... + n^3

What would you need to do to get that?

ReputationRep:
    So what you have is correct, but the expression you have is: 1^3 + 3^3 + ... + (n-1)^3, whereas you want to have as the final bit: 1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 ... + n^3

I really don't know :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    COnsider adding a new expression (Hint )

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Surely if I add something to my answer them the result will mean that I no longer have an expression equal to 1^3 - 2^3....-n^3 which I was given to start with? I'm sure I'm wrong though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Surely if I add something to my answer them the result will mean that I no longer have an expression equal to 1^3 - 2^3....-n^3 which I was given to start with? I'm sure I'm wrong though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, but how would you make it equal?

For example, if I had 1+2+3, this is also the same as 1+2+3+ 4 - 4

ReputationRep:

Ohhhh maybe I do get it.... I add the 2^3 ....n^3 to the part on the left and then I counteract this by multiplying the part in the brackets by 2 so overall nothing is added....its just rearranged?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhh maybe I do get it.... I add the 2^3 ....n^3 to the part on the left and then I counteract this by multiplying the part in the brackets by 2 so overall nothing is added....its just rearranged?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Yes!
    Thank you sooooo much!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.