The Student Room Group

GCSE Mathematics is my favourite subject; should I do it at A-level?

I've been doing numerous past papers for GCSE - the most recent one being the Paper 2 (Calculator) from the 4365 AQA Linear series (Jan 2013); I scored 71/105 which was an A grade. I have been entered for 4360 Modular with AQA, but I enjoy doing Maths so much that I'm running out of papers in this series.

I am targeted a grade B but my teacher has discussed the likelihood of an A with me - the latter would be more ideal for me as I'm aware of the rigour of A-level Maths. I also feel that I will never fall below a grade B (well, I should hope so).

I have never actually revised for Maths but towards the end of Year 10 (in particular at the start of Year 11) my admiration for the subject became evident as I started to actively engage in lessons, reflected in my persistent efforts to complete all tasks. Everything just started to click in. I absolutely love algebra; a few months ago I was that obsessed with simultaneous quadratic equations, I ended up doing them for up to 1-2 hours without a break.

Surprisingly, I do happen to be in the lowest set and have been since Year 9. However, as I am in a smaller class, I feel I have been helped massively because there are less distractions and everything is just so much better! Though, I never thought of being in 'bottom set' would maximise my potential of attaining an A grade.

Anyway, if you could advise me on what's best and whether giving Maths A-level the go ahead is feasible in accordance with your past experiences.

Thank you in advance!
Reply 1
From what I can read, I think you are a perfect candidate for maths! Maths is all about how much effort you can put in and how hard can you practice, and if you cover both of these at A level I'm pretty sure you can do well!
Try and get an A grade, at least a B because then your school shouldn't have a problem with you taking maths. (But don't stress about it too much, once you start A level, GCSEs become quite irrelevant I find)
Original post by Jamie Vardy
I've been doing numerous past papers for GCSE - the most recent one being the Paper 2 (Calculator) from the 4365 AQA Linear series (Jan 2013); I scored 71/105 which was an A grade. I have been entered for 4360 Modular with AQA, but I enjoy doing Maths so much that I'm running out of papers in this series.

I am targeted a grade B but my teacher has discussed the likelihood of an A with me - the latter would be more ideal for me as I'm aware of the rigour of A-level Maths. I also feel that I will never fall below a grade B (well, I should hope so).

I have never actually revised for Maths but towards the end of Year 10 (in particular at the start of Year 11) my admiration for the subject became evident as I started to actively engage in lessons, reflected in my persistent efforts to complete all tasks. Everything just started to click in. I absolutely love algebra; a few months ago I was that obsessed with simultaneous quadratic equations, I ended up doing them for up to 1-2 hours without a break.

Surprisingly, I do happen to be in the lowest set and have been since Year 9. However, as I am in a smaller class, I feel I have been helped massively because there are less distractions and everything is just so much better! Though, I never thought of being in 'bottom set' would maximise my potential of attaining an A grade.

Anyway, if you could advise me on what's best and whether giving Maths A-level the go ahead is feasible in accordance with your past experiences.

Thank you in advance!

A Level Maths is incredibly tricky, so if you believe that you will have the perseverance to overcome the difficulty - definitely do it!

We had practice exams for GCSE Maths the other day and i managed to walk away with 198/200, and i had been under the impression that A Level Maths would be similarly easy for me, but having done some recently - it is fantastically difficult. However, once you learn how to do something, its a great feeling.

So really, if you are willing to be challenged - do it.
I think the Core isn't too tricky, do a couple of questions from each exercise and you'll be fine. The A2 is a massive step up, but me personally, I haven't found it hard except for the integration. I find the mechanics quite hard, complex ideas and you've got to do a lot of algebra manipulation, but work hard and you'll be ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest