Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I am an international student in the UK. I have applied 4 medical school and got rejected by all of them. Can somebody give me some advice? Should I just wait for clearing or reapply next year also to medicine or should I just change my career.

I am good at maths,physics and chemistry but not biology,I have got 3As and a C in my As. I initially chose medicine is just because I thought it is a rewarded job. But unfortunately it seems that I am not suitable enough as my English is not good enough so there are a lot of things acting as barriers

My teacher asked me if I want to study engineer as my maths physics and chemistry are all good.I can still apply to this course through extra.

I have another choice which is to study medicine in Europe.

What should I do guys?I need some advice!!

ReputationRep:
    Although 3 A's and a C are great grades it depends on where you apply to. Each will have grade specific requirements.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    When you say a rewarded job you mean £££ or you will get job satisfaction?

ReputationRep:
    Is there a chance for you to study medicine somewhere that it would be taught in your first language? Or work super hard to get brilliant A2 results and spend your gap year making sure your English isn't going to hold you back. If your visa lets you work maybe get a job with a lot of interaction so you get plenty of practice. I really would recommend a hands on care role to help you smash the personal statement and interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    When you say a rewarded job you mean £££ or you will get job satisfaction?
    I mean satisfaction as I thought it is always nice if you can help people from their bad situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kel_Med)
    Hey there! sorry to hear about your rejections and congrats on your AS results.If you want to study medicine then don't let one set of rejections put you off, I know people who have got in after their fifth application, medicine is competitive so sometimes it takes time for even the best students to get in.It is all about determination, you just need to decide for yourself if you want to become a doctor, the job is in rewarding in many aspects but the amount of work that is required at university and after qualifying is a lot! and is not something that you can decide to do on the whim.

Okay now I am going to assume you want to become a doctor! and you are set on achieving it no matter what! That C in biology wont hold you back if you get three A's and a C in biology you can still make a strong application to many medical schools. If this happens I suggest you take a gap year and try and get a paid NHS job, such as a healthcare assistant. Ace the UKCAT and then ace the interview

If you miss the grades and do poorly in your A2, go to clearing and look for a degree like biomed, biochem... even chemistry anything "sciencey" really but from a decent university, get predicted a 2:1 in this degree (not hard.. 60%) and then reapply! you now have the option for undergrad entry and graduate entry! The reason I say do a degree is because many med schools dont accept re sitting your A2 results, but doing a degree you can apply in your second year.

It can be a long process but like I said, if medicine isn't for you there are many other careers that pay better and are probably less stressful
    Thank you so much for giving me so much valuable advice! I am trying to apply to other european countries for medicine. If this doesn't work, I will go for a gap year. At the mean time, I will work hard on my A2 and hopefully I can achieve decent grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quilverine)
    Is there a chance for you to study medicine somewhere that it would be taught in your first language? Or work super hard to get brilliant A2 results and spend your gap year making sure your English isn't going to hold you back. If your visa lets you work maybe get a job with a lot of interaction so you get plenty of practice. I really would recommend a hands on care role to help you smash the personal statement and interviews.
    I think I can, but I don't really want to as studying medicine in my country cannot be recognized everywhere. The thing really hard for me is to stay in an english speaking country as it is always hard to get a visa if I don't go for studying.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 26, 2016

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.