Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a sixth form student, currently completing my AS levels, when this news was given to me...
    "Because there are only 4 people in your Product Design class, and because of school cuts, you WILL have to drop it next year as the course will not continue"
    I am currently completing these :
    - Geography
    - BTEC L3 IT
    - Business
    - Product Design
    We have to drop a subject, and because I want to go to a decent uni to study Geography, I want to drop BTEC IT and continue with the other 3 A-levels.
    However, as a result of the message above I have to continue with IT as they will no longer provide Product Design...
    Is this fair and is there anything I can do to stop this ?
    I am really worried about this so please can someone give some advice, I will be happy to give more information upon request
    Thank you Student Room,
    Lee
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes it is fair, if they can't continue it due to funding then yeah they can make you drop it since... well it's obvious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Yes it is fair, if they can't continue it due to funding then yeah they can make you drop it since... well it's obvious.
    Thanks :/ Do you know if doing a BTEC and 2 A-levels next year may affect the chances of going to university ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lee1999wright)
    Thanks :/ Do you know if doing a BTEC and 2 A-levels next year may affect the chances of going to university ?
    You will have to ask the universities about their view on a BTEC. Though really a BTEC is an equivalent to an A level so apart from the top universities I can't see much of an impact. You will need the equivalent grade of an A level in the BTEC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    You will have to ask the universities about their view on a BTEC. Though really a BTEC is an equivalent to an A level so apart from the top universities I can't see much of an impact. You will need the equivalent grade of an A level in the BTEC.
    Will do, thank you that's somewhat more reassuring . Have a nice day

ReputationRep:
    I am a sixth form student, currently completing my AS levels, when this news was given to me...
    "Because there are only 4 people in your Product Design class, and because of school cuts, you WILL have to drop it next year as the course will not continue"
    I am currently completing these :
    - Geography
    - BTEC L3 IT
    - Business
    - Product Design
    We have to drop a subject, and because I want to go to a decent uni to study Geography, I want to drop BTEC IT and continue with the other 3 A-levels.
    However, as a result of the message above I have to continue with IT as they will no longer provide Product Design...
    Is this fair and is there anything I can do to stop this ?
    I am really worried about this so please can someone give some advice, I will be happy to give more information upon request
    Thank you Student Room,
    Lee
    They can do that but most Uni's are fine with BTEC. I did BTEC performing arts along with English and BTEC business and got into a top 30 uni for Politics and PR.

ReputationRep:
    Are there any schools or colleges nearby which offer Product Design and where you could join that class?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Are there any schools or colleges nearby which offer Product Design and where you could join that class?
    Good point but... A local college would offer product design. However, I need to complete the full course from the beginning due to it being a different exam board, which would put me a year behind everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaHWood)
    They can do that but most Uni's are fine with BTEC. I did BTEC performing arts along with English and BTEC business and got into a top 30 uni for Politics and PR.
    Wow , Well done ! :clap2::clap2:
    Thanks for the reassurance, at least I know it shouldn't hold me back to much

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

You could try and ask if they would run the examination for the course if you agree to teach yourself that part of the course. That is currently what I am doing with Product Design and things seem to be going swimmingly. I have some support on a monthly basis but this is all simply for the coursework side of the course. If it is a sixth-form you attend then these kind of things are easier to swing as you are more likely to have a more personal relationship with members of staff around school.

This could simply an isolated case of luck but it maybe an option to consider?

Additionally this is more than likely due to my career path being in Product Design so is more vital in a way: unless you are also considering going into Product Design?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FakieJakey)
    Hello,

You could try and ask if they would run the examination for the course if you agree to teach yourself that part of the course. That is currently what I am doing with Product Design and things seem to be going swimmingly. I have some support on a monthly basis but this is all simply for the coursework side of the course. If it is a sixth-form you attend then these kind of things are easier to swing as you are more likely to have a more personal relationship with members of staff around school.

This could simply an isolated case of luck but it maybe an option to consider?

Additionally this is more than likely due to my career path being in Product Design so is more vital in a way: unless you are also considering going into Product Design?
    I will certainly ask my Sixth Form if they would consider that. Are you doing A2 PD/ Is it much harder than AS ? Thank you. I'll be sure to let you know the result !

ReputationRep:
    I will certainly ask my Sixth Form if they would consider that. Are you doing A2 PD/ Is it much harder than AS ? Thank you. I'll be sure to let you know the result !
    I started off doing the AS & A2 this year but due to me exceeding the universities entry requirements without the full A-level, I decided to stick to the AS. Though the A2 is actually nicer due to the freedom which is what I love as I am very passionate about designing and making things. The exam is also a bit kinder in terms of content in my opinion: however, the questions are longer and require you to be a bit more specific on specific things.

Keep me posted on how it all goes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FakieJakey)
    I started off doing the AS & A2 this year but due to me exceeding the universities entry requirements without the full A-level, I decided to stick to the AS. Though the A2 is actually nicer due to the freedom which is what I love as I am very passionate about designing and making things. The exam is also a bit kinder in terms of content in my opinion: however, the questions are longer and require you to be a bit more specific on specific things.

Keep me posted on how it all goes!
    Thank you for your detailed answer, I appreciate you taking the time to answer. I was just looking at your post and it will certainly come in handy, I've left some comments over on your feed.
    Thanks again,
    Lee

ReputationRep:
    It should be fine to apply with one BTEC but make sure your school say in your reference how you intended on dropping it but due to the school not running Product design you had to continue! I hate when schools do this because it can really affect someone's application. They shouldn't of offered it in the first place...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm in year 13 and everyone last year had to drop one subject, luckily i was doing 3 three anyway so I didn't have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lahorizon)
    It should be fine to apply with one BTEC but make sure your school say in your reference how you intended on dropping it but due to the school not running Product design you had to continue! I hate when schools do this because it can really affect someone's application. They shouldn't of offered it in the first place...
    I will do, thanks for the advice. And yes, its quite annoying

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.