The Student Room Group

Why isn't street begging illegal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
Do we not have drop in centres that can assist people?
Soup kitchens?
Its funny you say that as I am planing to volunteer and work with a homeless charity.
Again I have nothing against homeless people, only beggars

You might want to change your attitude then if you want to volunteer with these people. Some are alcoholics, drug addicts, criminal backgrounds. If begging is such a problem to you I can't see you being very sympathetic to much worse things you will have to deal with.
Original post by JassyC
and you think Aldi and Tesco give jobs to anyone? It's a bit obvious you've never had to look for work- probably because your parents did it for you. There will ALWAYS be people who are homeless simply, because they choose that way. HOWEVER, many homeless people do try to move on in their lives but are unable to do so because of the lack of help available with all the cuts in welfare benefits and funding for support centres. Such people need support from the welfare system first but then need to be encouraged to look for work and full help and advice should be given. You're just ignorant and narrow minded who thinks the solution to such problems is simple.

Nah my parents have expected me to be fully independent at 18, so yeah I have worked hard for my own living.
I find it insulting to think I am some spoon fed middle class brat.
The welfare needed cuts as we cannot afford to keep funding a lifestyle for the jobless.
It is simple, as getting those who want to better there lives off the street.
An addict cannot even do a part-time job nor can they maintain a flat
Original post by Alice__90
You might want to change your attitude then if you want to volunteer with these people. Some are alcoholics, drug addicts, criminal backgrounds. If begging is such a problem to you I can't see you being very sympathetic to much worse things you will have to deal with.

I wouldn't feel comfortable around such people, and it is the reason I am volunteering with normal homeless people
I wouldn't feel comfortable around such people, and it is the reason I am volunteering with normal homeless people

So what do you class as a "normal" homeless person? I'm very interested. Because according to your logic, no one should be homeless because it's so easy to claim benefits.
Reply 44

'Normal' homeless people!? Ha what's a normal homeless person? I understand your previous comments in regards to harassment from homeless people (i.e. when they follow you down the street and yell stuff which has happened to me a few times) but simply asking if someone has spare change as they walk by isn't harassment thus doesn't really cause a problem so why should they be fined?

Benefits can take a long time to come through and some benefits can only be claimed if you have a place of residence. It's tough to be homeless and a lot of people don't have a choice due to varying factors. A lot of the time at no fault of their own. If you are going to work with homeless people you must understand that you can't pick and choose what 'kind' of homeless people you work with. Many of them will be beggars so perhaps an attitude adjustment is needed before you start volunteering. Otherwise your boss won't appreciate your refusal to work with anyone you think classes as a beggar!
Original post by Ekno
yeah my bad I meant to say not all beggers are genuine beggers. I mean i still give them lunch regardless, but some you can just tell they're being sneaky.

If you give them lunch, that's respect, real talk.
Nah my parents have expected me to be fully independent at 18, so yeah I have worked hard for my own living.
I find it insulting to think I am some spoon fed middle class brat.
The welfare needed cuts as we cannot afford to keep funding a lifestyle for the jobless.
It is simple, as getting those who want to better there lives off the street.
An addict cannot even do a part-time job nor can they maintain a flat

I'm honestly not trying to be rude but trying to figure out your posts endangers my brain cell count by the word. I can literally feel them popping and fading away.
If you think being homeless is a choice, then I suggest you step away from the gadget you're using to spout this shitaki here- which probably costs more than a homeless person could ever hope to dream of. This is genuinely saddening, you must be truly heartless to cast off a person who is suffering because you say they brought it onto themselves. (this is coming from an encounter I had with a homeless man named Denny. All of this hate and pure superiority you seem to foster makes me think of how you'd think of people like him, and how you'd treat those in his position, like he's just something distasteful. He's one of the most genuine people I've met.)
(edited 8 years ago)
So what do you class as a "normal" homeless person? I'm very interested. Because according to your logic, no one should be homeless because it's so easy to claim benefits.

A person without a home, indeed I mean compared to the states it is harder to end up in that situation.
I was watching a bbc programme about homeless people and young guy had chosen to be homeless.
He wanted to do crime, joined a gang and now he is an addict, despite coming from a good home.
You make bad choices and you end up like that.
For my own safety I cannot be around addicts and convicts, I mean why would want to be around such people?
I respect that you work with homeless people, but you'd rather not be around troubled folk.
Yes we have a good welfare system, so I struggle to see in how a person can starve.
I mean all you do is sign a paper, and you get paid.
A person without a home, indeed I mean compared to the states it is harder to end up in that situation.
I was watching a bbc programme about homeless people and young guy had chosen to be homeless.
He wanted to do crime, joined a gang and now he is an addict, despite coming from a good home.
You make bad choices and you end up like that.
For my own safety I cannot be around addicts and convicts, I mean why would want to be around such people?
I respect that you work with homeless people, but you'd rather not be around troubled folk.
Yes we have a good welfare system, so I struggle to see in how a person can starve.
I mean all you do is sign a paper, and you get paid.

I'm a 5'3 petite female and I work in a male homeless hostel housing 12 men of all ages and backgrounds. I do not feel unsafe at all, I choose not to judge people based on their past. The whole point of our organisation is to try and create better lives for these people because EVERYONE deserves help and support. "All you do is sign a paper and you get paid" you have clearly been fortunate enough never to have to claim benefits and I think if you ever find yourself in a position where you do you are in for a shock.

I hope the programme you're referring to wasn't famous, rich and homeless because it was a crock of s**t to be honest. If I were you I'd reconsider volunteering with homeless because a lot of them will make mistakes while they're trying to create better lives for themselves and you seem too judgemental to be able to deal with it.
Original post by mrsjenner
I'm honestly not trying to be rude but trying to figure out your posts endangers my brain cell count by the word. I can literally feel them popping and fading away.

Well I interpret that as being rude.
Original post by Arkasia
Incredibly ignorant view from someone who has clearly never gone a day in their life without the small comforts a middle-class lifestyle provides.

I think even the working class don't resort to begging.
Original post by bluebookie
If you think being homeless is a choice, then I suggest you step away from the gadget you're using to spout this shitaki here- which probably costs more than a homeless person could ever hope to dream of. This is genuinely saddening, you must be truly heartless to cast off a person who is suffering because you say they brought it onto themselves. (this is coming from an encounter I had with a homeless man named Denny. All of this hate and pure superiority you seem to foster makes me think of how you'd think of people like him, and how you'd treat those in his position, like he's just something distasteful. He's one of the most genuine people I've met.)

Okay let me change in what I have just typed.
Being an addict is purely a choice.
That guy could be murderer or a rapist, I mean a number of homeless are offenders
Darling there will be always be people sleeping on the streets as most of them choose that lifestyle, hence drugs and alcohol.
Give them a house and a job and I bet you that most of them cannot maintain it.

Until you ah e actually tried to help a homeless person, you do not know that for fact, sometimes life doesn't work out and it hits some worse thank others, relying on the kindness of strangers is all these PEOPLE (because they are human beings as much as you or I) can do. Of course there will be some who take advantage but I'd rather give my money to multiple homeless people and be able to help at least one than not do anything at all
Reply 54
It probably is illegal. Just the police have no particular way of dealing with the mental health issues that probably lie behind the majority of this activity.
I'm a 5'3 petite female and I work in a male homeless hostel housing 12 men of all ages and backgrounds. I do not feel unsafe at all, I choose not to judge people based on their past. The whole point of our organisation is to try and create better lives for these people because EVERYONE deserves help and support. "All you do is sign a paper and you get paid" you have clearly been fortunate enough never to have to claim benefits and I think if you ever find yourself in a position where you do you are in for a shock.

I hope the programme you're referring to wasn't famous, rich and homeless because it was a crock of s**t to be honest. If I were you I'd reconsider volunteering with homeless because a lot of them will make mistakes while they're trying to create better lives for themselves and you seem too judgemental to be able to deal with it.

I find that to be interesting, but maybe it is because you have grown to know those homeless folk and security must be top notch.
I think people who want to help themselves should only get help.
Nope it was the professor Green one, I will watch the one you're talking about.
Original post by Blondie987
Until you ah e actually tried to help a homeless person, you do not know that for fact, sometimes life doesn't work out and it hits some worse thank others, relying on the kindness of strangers is all these PEOPLE (because they are human beings as much as you or I) can do. Of course there will be some who take advantage but I'd rather give my money to multiple homeless people and be able to help at least one than not do anything at all

I have been taught to understand that not all humans can be helped.
You do not fix a problem by handing everyone a plausible solution.
You should volunteer or talk, but never give money.
As you're feeding drug habits, and that makes you a bad person in my eyes
Original post by Zarek
It probably is illegal. Just the police have no particular way of dealing with the mental health issues that probably lie behind the majority of this activity.

The police in America are doing a good job in tackling the problem
The police in America are doing a good job in tackling the problem

What problem? Seems like American police are creating problems.
I have been taught to understand that not all humans can be helped.
You do not fix a problem by handing everyone a plausible solution.
You should volunteer or talk, but never give money.
As you're feeding drug habits, and that makes you a bad person in my eyes

I have actually taken the time to speak to homeless people and to hear their stories from them rather than deciding not to question anything that anyone ever tells me, I believe that it is possible for everyone to be helped if that is what they truly want and I'm sure you'd be surprised at how many homeless people do, the fact that you are able to turn a blind eye to those in need makes you a bad person in my eyes so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree

Quick Reply

Latest