Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, I'm new to this mode of communication so please bear with! I just wanted to reach out for advice and guidance. I graduated in 2009 with a 2:1 in social analysis and I've been working in an involved but unrelated non health sector since.

I really have my heart set on becoming a physiotherapist, and have taken advice from admissions offices to study human biology, which I'm doing and really enjoying. I've been volunteering which has also gone really well. My schedule at the minute is packed but I'm hoping I'll get a good mark for the course.

Now's the time for applications and I'm just so dreading not getting in anywhere. I'm willing to go to any university that I can. Particularly because beyond this year I believe NHS funding will stop, and the new PG student loan of £10k maximum will not even cover half the fees for the course alone. I wouldn't be able to get a loan for a BSc. I really feel like all the doors are closing in front of me and I don't know what to do.

I've written a personal statement and am trying to make it as good as it can be, but I feel overwhelmed by whether it's a waste of time and I won't get in especially as this is a career change for me. I think being a mature student is a positive thing for me, I just don't know how to best position myself, and I don't know what alternatives (if any) await if all the doors close this year.

I've a friend who got a place with an unrelated degree last year, but now the same uni have said mine would not be relevant. So it doesn't seem like I can use that as a guide either.

If anyone has any similar experiences or advice, I'd really appreciate hearing about it!

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssenO)
    Hey all, I'm new to this mode of communication so please bear with! I just wanted to reach out for advice and guidance. I graduated in 2009 with a 2:1 in social analysis and I've been working in an involved but unrelated non health sector since.

I really have my heart set on becoming a physiotherapist, and have taken advice from admissions offices to study human biology, which I'm doing and really enjoying. I've been volunteering which has also gone really well. My schedule at the minute is packed but I'm hoping I'll get a good mark for the course.

Now's the time for applications and I'm just so dreading not getting in anywhere. I'm willing to go to any university that I can. Particularly because beyond this year I believe NHS funding will stop, and the new PG student loan of £10k maximum will not even cover half the fees for the course alone. I wouldn't be able to get a loan for a BSc. I really feel like all the doors are closing in front of me and I don't know what to do.

I've written a personal statement and am trying to make it as good as it can be, but I feel overwhelmed by whether it's a waste of time and I won't get in especially as this is a career change for me. I think being a mature student is a positive thing for me, I just don't know how to best position myself, and I don't know what alternatives (if any) await if all the doors close this year.

I've a friend who got a place with an unrelated degree last year, but now the same uni have said mine would not be relevant. So it doesn't seem like I can use that as a guide either.

If anyone has any similar experiences or advice, I'd really appreciate hearing about it!

Thank you!
    what kind of course are you studying now? what volunteering are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying human biology with the OU and have been volunteering/shadowing various physiotherapy clinics

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.