Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Alright so I'm 17 years old and thought it's about time I learnt to cook. So I'm doing chilli con carne and for the rice I have a packet of Uncle Bens long grain rice and these are the instructions on the back:
    In a pan
    1. Squeeze the pouch to separate the rice
    2. Boil 30ml (about 2 tbsp of water)
    3. Add the rice, cover and simmer for 3 mins
    4. Stir rice through for a perfect finish

So I'm pretty sure I did all this fine but for some reason the rice tastes like playdoh You can microwave this rice but I did that before another time and it tasted like playdoh then too. Why does it only need such little amount of water for a 250g pack of rice? I just don't want playdoh rice any more someone help me please

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by eternaforest)
    Alright so I'm 17 years old and thought it's about time I learnt to cook. So I'm doing chilli con carne and for the rice I have a packet of Uncle Bens long grain rice and these are the instructions on the back:
    In a pan

So I'm pretty sure I did all this fine but for some reason the rice tastes like playdoh You can microwave this rice but I did that before another time and it tasted like playdoh then too. Why does it only need such little amount of water for a 250g pack of rice? I just don't want playdoh rice any more someone help me please

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hello eternaforestt

I don't know how the playdoh tastes like but you might try

1. Do 6 minutes of simmering rather than 3.
    2. Add a bit more water?

I'm not an expert but it should work. I think.

You can also check out this website to give you a better insight on rice.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/videos/te.../how-cook-rice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Impressive)
    Hello eternaforestt

I don't know how the playdoh tastes like but you might try

1. Do 6 minutes of simmering rather than 3.
    2. Add a bit more water?

I'm not an expert but it should work. I think.

You can also check out this website to give you a better insight on rice.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/videos/te.../how-cook-rice

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the reply I'll try simmering for longer then next time. And just to check I'm right, is simmering simply just turning down the heat for a bit? Like I boiled the water on the hob at "4" (I don't know what units or measure this is in) and then for simmering put it down to 2. Is that right?

And yeah my grandma did think it was weird for how little water they recommended to use. I'll use more next time and I'll be sure to bookmark that video for future reference

Thanks for the reply I'll try simmering for longer then next time. And just to check I'm right, is simmering simply just turning down the heat for a bit? Like I boiled the water on the hob at "4" (I don't know what units or measure this is in) and then for simmering put it down to 2. Is that right?

And yeah my grandma did think it was weird for how little water they recommended to use. I'll use more next time and I'll be sure to bookmark that video for future reference
    Yes, but it also depends on the time. For example, if you're going to simmer for 3 mins it might be better to change it from four to three while if you were to simmer it for 6 mins, it might be better to change from four to two. (rapid simmer/slow simmer)

Spoiler:
    Show

I got hungry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Buy proper rice; problem solved.

For one person I do 100ml rice (to the ml sign on a measuring cup) and 320ml water. Put both in a saucepan and heat until boiling. After it boils add some salt and turn down the heat until simmering. Put the lid of the pan on half way. When it looks done, poke about with a fork to check it's done.

ReputationRep:
    In a pan

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeessss! Somebody I can finally relate to with regards to my rice cooking issues!

The playdough effect taste is an issue I have had many times too, but I just grinned & beared it. :rolleyes: Even worst is when it appears to be cooked to perfection, but has the playdough effect taste at the bottom of the packet! :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Uncle Ben's products are a pile of ****, if you want low effort decent taste just buy Morrisons boil in the bag rice :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    Uncle Ben's products are a pile of ****, if you want low effort decent taste just buy Morrisons boil in the bag rice :yes:
    What do you expect when the products all have a picture of a Nelson Mandela look-alike on the front? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Buy bag of basmati. Weigh out 100g (1 serving). Put into boiling water. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Filing Cabinet)
    What do you expect when the products all have a picture of a Nelson Mandela look-alike on the front? :rofl:
    Lmao, I remember the adverts made it look like homely food, you used to be guilt tripped into buying it but the regret sets in as soon as you serve it :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    Lmao, I remember the adverts made it look like homely food, you used to be guilt tripped into buying it but the regret sets in as soon as you serve it :rofl:
    PRSOM.

ReputationRep:
    Some rice does taste like play dough. Buy some other rice.

ReputationRep:
    In a pan

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you sure it says 30 ml?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    Maybe someone shoulda gone to Specsavers? :rofl:
    • Very Important Poster

Just get normal rice. Much cheaper. Rinse it a few times to get rid of the excess starch i.e the bit thats cloudy. I think its easier to microwave although you cna use the hob and its slightly different.

For the microwave put it in a microwaveable container , plastic will do and put enough water in the container o leave about 1" of clear water over the top. Microwave that for 6-10 minutes- start at 6 and keep testing it.

If its too hard its uncrooked- of theres still water then just do another few minutes. If the waters one then add a bit more water. Trial and error to get the right amount of water to rice, by the time its cooked all the water should have been absorbed. you just get used to how much water to rice you need and how long.

If you do it on a stive then again about an inch of clear water over the top and adjust as needed. you know what cooked rice is like enough water to make it soft but not too much and not too little. Just keep checking it.

(Original post by Filing Cabinet)
    Maybe someone shoulda gone to Specsavers? :rofl:
    Your post is very useful. I should take a note for future reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    100%, even in brackets it says 2 tablespoons of water which is tiny!

ReputationRep:
    1/2 cup of basmati rice, 1 cup (or just under) of cold water.

Cover, bring to the boil and then simmer for like 10 mins. Perfect every time, don't mess around with the packets unless you're feeling particularly lazy.

ReputationRep:
    In a pan

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's because you are buying pre-cooked rice.
    The instructions aren't cooking the rice, just reheating the rice.

Buy normal rice and cook it properly, it will taste much better.

ReputationRep:
    Starch! Rince it several times to get rid of it before cooking. That's if yer using proper rice though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.