Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

One of these babies. They write so smooth. Feels like the pen is floating on the paper.

ReputationRep:
    PILOT liquid ink are the best!!

ReputationRep:
    I usually use Parker fountain pens in lessons but I find I write faster in exams with a biro, any black biro will do even if it was a freebie from a uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tgan)
    Papermate ball pen is my go-to
    They are the best pens I have ever used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxfsxh)
    Lamys are life but you can't use fountain pens in exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really? First I've heard of that rule
    Used a fountain pen for my GCSEs because I found it put less pressure on my hand when I was trying to write quickly - just popped a black ink cartridge in during exam season and I was good to go. No one ever tried to stop me or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    Really.

Is this an official rule?

Why not?
    Yeah, it is, for AQA anyway.
    Because of the ink I think.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    A pen is a pen

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i love a good pen-is

ReputationRep:

Yeah would definitely only use Lamy's own high quality ink.

Never had any problems.

ReputationRep:
    That disgusts me due to fountains being the clearly superior tool, but I can't find anything to back that up. A thread on here from 2013 is explicitly counter to that, and there is the following:
    "A spokesman for exam board AQA, which is used by Hillcrest, said: ‘There are no restrictions in using fountain pens in our examinations.’"
    Which is from this 2010 article.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    That disgusts me due to fountains being the clearly superior tool, but I can't find anything to back that up. A thread on here from 2013 is explicitly counter to that, and there is the following:
    "A spokesman for exam board AQA, which is used by Hillcrest, said: ‘There are no restrictions in using fountain pens in our examinations.’"
    Which is from this 2010 article.
    Lol, as long as you use ink which is not erasable and which doesn't go through the paper you are fine.

ReputationRep:
    Here's my secret to getting A* on my exams; it's all due to these bad boys.

ReputationRep:
    Gel pens aren't allowed in exams. Well, AQA anyway. And fineliners are frowned upon because the ink can go through the page.
    What seriously?
    Are you sure, like how do you know? If so, thank God I am finding out now or that would have been a shame me using one in my exams.

ReputationRep:
    I know this is a bit late and all, but what is the brand of those Japanese pens? Got given one as a gift and it's my favourite pen ever; sadly the ink is running out I haven't been able to find another anywhere. Please tell me, so I can be at peace with the world again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    What seriously?
    Are you sure, like how do you know? If so, thank God I am finding out now or that would have been a shame me using one in my exams.
    They say it in the exam regulations when you're about to start your exam.

ReputationRep:
    They say it in the exam regulations when you're about to start your exam.
    Seriously? I've never heard this before- I need to email AQA or ask my teacher because a lot of us in my class were planning to use gel pens to write faster.

ReputationRep:
    I love using my fountain pen, I used to have writing that was pretty bad and slow but when I started using fountain pens I got so much better nearly instantly, I would say give one a go as I might help you. but everyone has their own personal style

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisie)
    I currently use the pilot frixion pens but I cannot use these in the exams because they are heat sensitive. Could anyone recommend any similar pens? I struggle using biros because my writing goes quite patchy and there ends up being white bits in my writing. I am not sure why because I press reasonably hard when I write. Anyway, any help would be much appreciated!
    i found that a heavy bodied pen worked best such as a parker or a harvey makin
    Spoiler:
    Show
    or if you can afford it a montblanc cruise which is what i used as i could afford it at the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    Seriously? I've never heard this before- I need to email AQA or ask my teacher because a lot of us in my class were planning to use gel pens to write faster.
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  79.0 KBThis is from JCQ which govern the exams and set all the rules. The rules they set are standard for all examination boards.
    http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/i...g-examinations
    The first document on this list is the handout given to centres and invigilators- the full document of the attached picture is towards the end of the PDF.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  79.0 KBThis is from JCQ which govern the exams and set all the rules. The rules they set are standard for all examination boards.
    http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/i...g-examinations
    The first document on this list is the handout given to centres and invigilators- the full document of the attached picture is towards the end of the PDF.
    Yea, I was just about to say I had read the rules and regulations on JCQ.
    You're right, for all exam boards we're not supposed to use gel pens/highlighter pens for our responses however we can use them to underline questions. We're only allowed black fountain pens or ball pens.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.