Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what I want to achieve careers wise, although I think I want to study Law. I have a strong interest in Criminal Law (mainstream I know), but I feel a Criminology degree seems inadequate compared with a Law degree. Would taking a degree in Law with Criminology restrict me from persuing any Law related careers, or does taking Law on its own offer broader career options?
    Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You will still study criminal on a normal degree, you may also have the option of studying criminology.
    On comparison a joint degree is unlikely to cover all the legal subjects needed for straight law qualifcation, so you may need to do a few extra modules. If you do those, then it wouldnt limit your career. Its only of further use if you intend to a criminal lawyer imo and thats as background.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lololoh)
    I have no idea what I want to achieve careers wise, although I think I want to study Law. I have a strong interest in Criminal Law (mainstream I know), but I feel a Criminology degree seems inadequate compared with a Law degree. Would taking a degree in Law with Criminology restrict me from persuing any Law related careers, or does taking Law on its own offer broader career options?
    Thanks
    Law + Criminology only allows you to study Core compulsory law modules. If you want to have a law orientated career in the future you should go with Law on its own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lololoh)
    Thanks
    Hi I applied for both those courses in Lancaster since Law was AAA and Law & Criminology was AAB. The courses in Lancaster were almost identical excpet for about 2 modules each year. I went for Law in the end since it was always my goal but if the criminology aspect of the course appeals then go for that! As long as it's a valid LLB course i dont imagine anyone would discriminate between the courses

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.