Choosing a course - Law vs Law with Criminology

Watch
lololoh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have no idea what I want to achieve careers wise, although I think I want to study Law. I have a strong interest in Criminal Law (mainstream I know), but I feel a Criminology degree seems inadequate compared with a Law degree. Would taking a degree in Law with Criminology restrict me from persuing any Law related careers, or does taking Law on its own offer broader career options?
Thanks
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 5 years ago
You will still study criminal on a normal degree, you may also have the option of studying criminology.
On comparison a joint degree is unlikely to cover all the legal subjects needed for straight law qualifcation, so you may need to do a few extra modules. If you do those, then it wouldnt limit your career. Its only of further use if you intend to a criminal lawyer imo and thats as background.
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lololoh)
I have no idea what I want to achieve careers wise, although I think I want to study Law. I have a strong interest in Criminal Law (mainstream I know), but I feel a Criminology degree seems inadequate compared with a Law degree. Would taking a degree in Law with Criminology restrict me from persuing any Law related careers, or does taking Law on its own offer broader career options?
Thanks
Law + Criminology only allows you to study Core compulsory law modules. If you want to have a law orientated career in the future you should go with Law on its own.
Llew_Ch97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lololoh)
Thanks
Hi I applied for both those courses in Lancaster since Law was AAA and Law & Criminology was AAB. The courses in Lancaster were almost identical excpet for about 2 modules each year. I went for Law in the end since it was always my goal but if the criminology aspect of the course appeals then go for that! As long as it's a valid LLB course i dont imagine anyone would discriminate between the courses
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (115)
27.38%
England (147)
35%
Belgium (32)
7.62%
Germany (42)
10%
Spain (10)
2.38%
Italy (35)
8.33%
Netherlands (14)
3.33%
Other (Tell us who) (25)
5.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise