Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what I want to achieve careers wise, although I think I want to study Law. I have a strong interest in Criminal Law (mainstream I know), but I feel a Criminology degree seems inadequate compared with a Law degree. Would taking a degree in Law with Criminology restrict me from persuing any Law related careers, or does taking Law on its own offer broader career options?
    Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You will still study criminal on a normal degree, you may also have the option of studying criminology.
    On comparison a joint degree is unlikely to cover all the legal subjects needed for straight law qualifcation, so you may need to do a few extra modules. If you do those, then it wouldnt limit your career. Its only of further use if you intend to a criminal lawyer imo and thats as background.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lololoh)
    I have no idea what I want to achieve careers wise, although I think I want to study Law. I have a strong interest in Criminal Law (mainstream I know), but I feel a Criminology degree seems inadequate compared with a Law degree. Would taking a degree in Law with Criminology restrict me from persuing any Law related careers, or does taking Law on its own offer broader career options?
    Thanks
    Law + Criminology only allows you to study Core compulsory law modules. If you want to have a law orientated career in the future you should go with Law on its own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lololoh)
    Thanks
    Hi I applied for both those courses in Lancaster since Law was AAA and Law & Criminology was AAB. The courses in Lancaster were almost identical excpet for about 2 modules each year. I went for Law in the end since it was always my goal but if the criminology aspect of the course appeals then go for that! As long as it's a valid LLB course i dont imagine anyone would discriminate between the courses

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Who is going to be the top scorer of the World Cup in 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.