Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luisasch)
    When people start talking about accomodation but your decision is still pending
    Well, I'm international, and I only got my offer last week! So I don't think you have anything to worry about yet to be honest.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lauren1498x)
    i'm really conflicted - i'm super salty still about being rejected and my school aren't helping bc they presume i got rejected just bc of the school i go to so they think i should re apply to the same college and try and show them they made a mistake.... i'm not even sure if i'll get a place from St Andrews since being Scottish its crazy competitive. Also i've always wanted to get away from Scotland and st andrews is freezing and in the middle of no where. but i did like it on the open day so we'll just see. I don't want to wait until March to find out though :/
    Hahaha my school expected me to get rejected so they were like it's normal you aren't good enough :rofl: you were lucky you even got an interview.

If you reapply don't apply to the same college! If you didn't like it on open day, then you might as well reapply or go elsewhere. Go somewhere where you'll be happy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Ace2184)
    So Regs, McIntosh, or Sallies would be your best bet. Although you can't really specify a accommodation on the application, if you put catered, non-ensuite, and willing to share, you're likely to get put in one of those three. Also APPLY EARLY, the accommodation form opens on April 1st! (personally i'm leaning towards Regs)
    Really? Didn't know you can't specify accom. Thanks for the heads up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Really? Didn't know you can't specify accom. Thanks for the heads up

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Weeeeeeell technically you can't, but I know a few people who put a little note about their preferred accomodation (even the room #) and got put in the one they wanted.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Ace2184)
    Weeeeeeell technically you can't, but I know a few people who put a little note about their preferred accomodation (even the room #) and got put in the one they wanted.
    Hahaha coool good tip as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soccermom39)
    I think it's just to do with equity tbh. My school is so waste they don't even have past A level results on their website aha. I think the concern is that those in independent schools will probably have access to better resources, better quality teachers and management of the school will be of a higher quality (essentially, their priorities are straight).

There's no doubt that you worked hard to get the grades you did most people would have to work hard to get As and A*s. It might just be to do with the contribution your effort made to your grades. For example, I know in some schools the teachers are so bad that you essentially have to teach yourself (I basically have to do this for 2 subjects out the three I'm doing now [The last lesson we had for one of them we spent 90 minutes cutting out and sticking statements on a piece of paper; the statements were already in order and it took 5 minutes, she went around the class doing nothing])

I'm not necessarily trying to complain I really don't care if I have to teach myself the specification it makes no difference but I'd rather not waste my time and I'd rather a teacher that actually IDK, wants to teach?

I don't know much about private schools apart from the fact that in my area, students in private schools often outperform those in state schools. I mean you might actually be in the same situation I am, but I think Uni's make the assumption that you are in a better position and the assumption might not be as irrational as you'd like to think; it's not impossible for Uni's to find Ofsted reports on your school or perhaps just go on the school website.

However, if the conditions you are in are better than those in state schools yet you get the same grades they might pick a state student over you because they can still prove their worth in a situation where proving their worth may be harder.

But hey, who knows.
    True true but you get good schools and bad schools regardless if they're state or independent. It is a generalization and it annoys me, another independent school in my city was shut down it was so bad. All I know was I wouldn't possibly have entertained the though of applying to Oxford if i went to any of the surrounding state schools because I would never have been pushed to overcome things I was bad at. And then for it to be drawn to my attention that it's well known that unis reject for going to an independent school does feel a little bit of a kick in the teeth and people go to independent schools for 101 different reasons.

I mean, it's a Scottish independent school so that really doesn't count in the first place considering the Scottish curriculum and no one from Scotland ever gets in to Oxbridge because it's so bad so who knows

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha my school expected me to get rejected so they were like it's normal you aren't good enough :rofl: you were lucky you even got an interview.

If you reapply don't apply to the same college! If you didn't like it on open day, then you might as well reapply or go elsewhere. Go somewhere where you'll be happy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I literally fell in love with univ so I'd have to go back there 🙊
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I literally fell in love with univ so I'd have to go back there 🙊
    But reapplying to the same college, ain't smart cuz if your interview was the problem the first time around you'll be at a disadvantage in your second time around. But I understand where you are coming from, especially because I really liked Magdalen as well :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But reapplying to the same college, ain't smart cuz if your interview was the problem the first time around you'll be at a disadvantage in your second time around. But I understand where you are coming from, especially because I really liked Magdalen as well :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm going to ask for feedback but apparently they're really bad and basically say ' you were really good and we loved you but there were loads of other really good people too' so I'll never know. I'm pretty sure it was my HAT score that let me down, I felt quite good in one of my interviews but obvs I don't really know how I went but I'd be guessing it was the HAT
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I'm going to ask for feedback but apparently they're really bad and basically say ' you were really good and we loved you but there were loads of other really good people too' so I'll never know. I'm pretty sure it was my HAT score that let me down, I felt quite good in one of my interviews but obvs I don't really know how I went but I'd be guessing it was the HAT
    That's true... :/

I think for me it was my interview/ predicted grades :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at some of the physics applicants profiles........

Gods, there's no way I'm getting in. I can just see my chances plummeting........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evelynfernsby)
    Has anyone received an offer for physics?
    yeah I got an offer for theoretical

Predicted A*AA and A epq is anybody serious about going to st Andrews it is in Scotland Afterall.

ReputationRep:
    offer was conditional AAA

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Computer science
    AS: AAC on maths, physics computer science respectively
    A2 predicted: A*AA respectively

However, I am a developer. Do you believe i will get an offer?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by danielafshar)

Predicted A*AA and A epq is anybody serious about going to st Andrews it is in Scotland Afterall.
    Pretty serious about going if I choose not to reapply to Ox

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Pretty serious about going if I choose not to reapply to Ox

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought of re-applying to cam but i know if I go to st Andrews I'm not at a loss so i might as well go considering its really high up in my subject and there's great career prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielafshar)

maybe, i'm hoping for LSE first, but may re apply to ox instead...

ReputationRep:
    Applying here next year for Management
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Andrella)
    I thought of re-applying to cam but i know if I go to st Andrews I'm not at a loss so i might as well go considering its really high up in my subject and there's great career prospects.
    Lol what subject?

My subject is unique for Ox so not sure :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol what subject?

My subject is unique for Ox so not sure :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you a PPE applicant, I'm a psychology applicant

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.