Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren1498x)
    I don't really want to go to Edinburgh as the course is politics and economics, I don't know if they do economics & economic history/maths/history or something so I would phone And ask to change. I don't want to go to Warwick as they already messed about my course so I can't change. I'm leaning to re applying next year. Thanks though, I'm pretty annoyed tbh, without sounding bitter it is their loss. I know I'm pretty good at those subjects or else I wouldn't have achieved what I have already done, but it's ok onwards and upwards!
    This is the kind of thing that makes me kind of mad at St Andrews tbh. They've got a specific number of spots they can give to certain fee statuses and honestly this definitely means that some of the best applicants don't get offers and some more "average" applicants do based on how much money they will be paying. I feel terrible for you, my friend, because you sound like you definitely should have gotten an offer. I have a friend from my school who did American qualifications and got in with bare minimum grades (basically the equivalent of BBB) and an ACT score of 27 along with a pretty horrendous GPA that would not have gotten them into a school of anywhere near the same calibre as St A's in the U.S. and it made me quite angry. I did American qualifications myself and got the equivalent of AAAAAA and an ACT of 32, so I do believe that there's nothing wrong with giving out a relatively high number of places to non-Scottish, or even just non-UK, but sometimes I do see St Andrews giving out some acceptances and can't help but wonder a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zee35)
    This is the kind of thing that makes me kind of mad at St Andrews tbh. They've got a specific number of spots they can give to certain fee statuses and honestly this definitely means that some of the best applicants don't get offers and some more "average" applicants do based on how much money they will be paying. I feel terrible for you, my friend, because you sound like you definitely should have gotten an offer. I have a friend from my school who did American qualifications and got in with bare minimum grades (basically the equivalent of BBB) and an ACT score of 27 along with a pretty horrendous GPA that would not have gotten them into a school of anywhere near the same calibre as St A's in the U.S. and it made me quite angry. I did American qualifications myself and got the equivalent of AAAAAA and an ACT of 32, so I do believe that there's nothing wrong with giving out a relatively high number of places to non-Scottish, or even just non-UK, but sometimes I do see St Andrews giving out some acceptances and can't help but wonder a bit.
    thanks it bothers me too, but i can't do much. maybe if i phone them and say i'll pay my own fees they'll reverse their decision lol. i believe who achieve the most should get the places, i'm best at my school which is best in the country - lol that may reveal my identity but idc - i've done so much outside the curriculum and my grades couldn't have been any better. it sucks because i really wanted to go to st andrews so I'm not sure what I'll be doing now!

ReputationRep:
    thanks it bothers me too, but i can't do much. maybe if i phone them and say i'll pay my own fees they'll reverse their decision lol. i believe who achieve the most should get the places, i'm best at my school which is best in the country - lol that may reveal my identity but idc - i've done so much outside the curriculum and my grades couldn't have been any better. it sucks because i really wanted to go to st andrews so I'm not sure what I'll be doing now!
    I know the feeling Lauren I really wanted to go too, absolutely had my heart set on it and I think I'm more upset than I was about my Oxford rejection because I genuinely loved it more.
    My grades are pretty decent and to be honest the issue was probably that I got a C in AS History (but As in everything else) which is kinda annoying, as even Oxford managed to overlook that enough to interview me. Planning on reapplying so hopefully once I prove that C was just a fluke I might fare a bit better. Don't rush into any decisions but also don't give up on your dream and compromise because in the end you're there for at least three years and you're spending money on accommodation as well - that's definitely why I'm taking a gap year, because I know that I won't enjoy the places I have offers from and I think it's worth another shot at the places I really do love.
    Good luck with LSE and with whatever you decide to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 221Breezeblocks)
    Just got my rejection :' I applied for French & Arabic, although I am slightly confused... The entrance requirements are AAB I'm predicted A*AA... And I have received an offer from Durham for AAA :P I wasn't expecting it, perhaps it's because I'm not Scottish and do not live there. Any other language students let me know how you get on
    Just wanted to offer my commiserations to you as well..

I got rejected about 4 weeks ago with predicted A*A*AA (for Maths which is an AAA course!!) and I'm still pretty bitter about it tbh. Do you reckon they made a mistake with our applications lol?

(Original post by 123xxx)
    I got rejected for Modern History and International Relations this week . Very disappointed. I was hoping to transfer back into first year as I have started at another university and the course isn't quite for me. I hope it wasn't influenced by the fact I had to apply right before the deadline because my old school took ages to send my reference after dealing with their current pupils. My grades were A*A*A*A and I got an offer previously for St. Andrews (one of the deciding factors was they didn't offer me deferred entry at the time) so I guess applications are even more competitive this year. I emailed for feedback and they gave a very generic answer about there being many applicants holding or predicted to achieve the asking rates or above. Good luck with all of your applications.
    This is worrying I was planning on reapplying next year. If you already had A*A*A*A and they claim that most offer holders had predicted higher asking rates, what kind of applicants are they getting this year?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Takot0)
    Just wanted to offer my commiserations to you as well..

I got rejected 4 weeks ago with predicted A*A*AA (for Maths which is an AAA course!!) and I'm still pretty bitter about it tbh. Do you reckon they made a mistake with our applications lol?

This is worrying I was planning on reapplying next year. If you already had A*A*AA and they claim that most offer holders had predicted higher asking rates, what kind of applicants are they getting this year?!
    Tbh they should probably implement some sort of admissions test or interview

ReputationRep:
    Tbh they should probably implement some sort of admissions test or interview

I agree! I think St Andrews and Durham (more so St Andrews) would really benefit from another element of assessment being added to their admissions process. Both schools are getting more and more competitive lately, and there has to be a better way to start differentiating between candidates than just the standard paper application file. I got into everywhere I applied within the UK except Cambridge with 6 grades of 5 on APs, but can't help but feeling like still a large portion of it had to do with the fact that I'm going to be paying more... *le shrug.. I don't feel like I really earned it sometimes. : (

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amygracebroad)
    I know the feeling Lauren I really wanted to go too, absolutely had my heart set on it and I think I'm more upset than I was about my Oxford rejection because I genuinely loved it more.
    My grades are pretty decent and to be honest the issue was probably that I got a C in AS History (but As in everything else) which is kinda annoying, as even Oxford managed to overlook that enough to interview me. Planning on reapplying so hopefully once I prove that C was just a fluke I might fare a bit better. Don't rush into any decisions but also don't give up on your dream and compromise because in the end you're there for at least three years and you're spending money on accommodation as well - that's definitely why I'm taking a gap year, because I know that I won't enjoy the places I have offers from and I think it's worth another shot at the places I really do love.
    Thank you, I'm scared to go on a gap year because I'd never thought of it, and didn't think I'd be kind of 'forced' into one. The other unis don't appeal to me and neither do their courses but I'm reluctant to go on a gap year but I will! I have no idea why I was rejected, and tbh I won't re apply to St. Andrews. I don't want to go somewhere I'm not excited about! Good luck to you too!❤

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I'm scared to go on a gap year because I'd never thought of it, and didn't think I'd be kind of 'forced' into one. The other unis don't appeal to me and neither do their courses but I'm reluctant to go on a gap year but I will! I have no idea why I was rejected, and tbh I won't re apply to St. Andrews. I don't want to go somewhere I'm not excited about! Good luck to you too!❤
    I'm terrified of a gap year - didn't expect to have to do one and have absolutely no plans at all! Same with me and my other unis and courses, think I actually might switch up the subject I apply for next time around but it depends on my results and how I feel tbh. Thanks! I'm sure it'll work out in the end for us both ❤️

ReputationRep:
    I'm terrified of a gap year - didn't expect to have to do one and have absolutely no plans at all! Same with me and my other unis and courses, think I actually might switch up the subject I apply for next time around but it depends on my results and how I feel tbh. Thanks! I'm sure it'll work out in the end for us both ❤️
    Yes I hope so too!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by theftse1999)
    Course Applying: History
    AS/A2 subjects: History, economics, psychology, German
    GCSE grades: 4A*6A
    AS predicted: AAAA
    AS grades: (when the time comes!)
    Supra-curriculars: taster day at KCL, contributor to history website, wider reading
    Other unis considering/applying to: Durham, Bristol, Exeter, Warwick, Edinburgh
    What website do you contribute to?

ReputationRep:
    So sorry to hear about that. Just thought I'd let you know that when I've been speaking with the admissions department at St Andrews, they told me that they do not look at AS grades, only predicted A2 grades and GCSE's. They also put a massive emphasis on personal statements, references, and interviews (if you have one for your subject).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clucky_chick)
    So sorry to hear about that. Just thought I'd let you know that when I've been speaking with the admissions department at St Andrews, they told me that they do not look at AS grades, only predicted A2 grades and GCSE's. They also put a massive emphasis on personal statements, references, and interviews (if you have one for your subject).
    Thank you! Ooh that's quite interesting, guess it must've been my personal statement then because I'm predicted A*A*A and got 10 A* 2 A at GCSE, and they don't interview for my course (applied to study History). I'll definitely take that info into account if I decide to reapply.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Ooh that's quite interesting, guess it must've been my personal statement then because I'm predicted A*A*A and got 10 A* 2 A at GCSE, and they don't interview for my course (applied to study History). I'll definitely take that info into account if I decide to reapply.
    Wow, those are amazing grades! I've applied too, but my grades are a lot lower than yours, so I doubt they'll accept me. Yeah, I was concerned about my AS grades affecting my application, and they told me that they don't look at them.

ReputationRep:
    I just received an offer for MA Psychology I'm and EU if you're wondering, and I am predicted 44 IB points. I'm guessing this means they've started giving out Psych offers, best of luck to you all!

ReputationRep:
    Just been rejected for Philosophy and Psychology. Feeling a little **** now, but oh well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clucky_chick)
    Just been rejected for Philosophy and Psychology. Feeling a little **** now, but oh well...
    I'm so sorry to hear that

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sorry to hear that
    I'm just trying to keep positive now. My philosophy teacher said that he was rejected by St Andrews, and went to Durham instead, and is now doing really well for himself. We just have to keep positive.

ReputationRep:
    My Daughter received an offer for MA Psychology today but she has turned this down and has chosen Stirling University instead. (Scottish applicant).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocean121)
    My Daughter received an offer for MA Psychology today but she has turned this down and has chosen Stirling University instead. (Scottish applicant).
    Hi. I'm probably going to firm St Andrews for Psychology. How come your daughter chose Stirling instead?. Is it closer to home or did she simply prefer the university?

ReputationRep:
    Course Applying: Physics and Mathematics MPhys
    AS/A2 subjects: AS Chemistry, Physics, Maths
    GCSE grades: 2A* 3A 4B C (btw those 3A were one or two mark off XD)
    AS predicted:AAA
    AS grades: (when the time comes!)
    Supra-curriculars: SMF manchester, work experience, Heart Start Programme, Numeracy mentoring
    Other unis considering/applying to: manchester, dundee, need to think

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.