Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've realised I've put on some weight in the past few weeks - probably because of the junk I've been eating as a result of not having the time or energy to eat real food. In the mornings, I try to stick to a boiled egg and a fruit smoothie. However, lunch onwards I can't help myself from indulging in fatty foods.

Anway, my questions for those who are diet conscious or healthy food eaters:
    - What brain food do you eat?
    - What do you eat when you want energy immediately? (I normally just eat myself away in carbs...)
    - What meals do you eat that actually give you a satisfactory feeling after? I've noticed when I do occasionally eat salad for lunch, it doesn't give me the energy boost I want.

If you're wondering, I do eat 'real food' but only for dinner or after school. However, even with that I fill myself up to an extent where I feel bloated. Just typing it down is making me feel ew.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire_and_ice)
    - What brain food do you eat?
    - What do you eat when you want energy immediately? (I normally just eat myself away in carbs...)
    - What meals do you eat that actually give you a satisfactory feeling after? I've noticed when I do occasionally eat salad for lunch, it doesn't give me the energy boost I want.
    For energy: salad with kidneybeans, veggies with hummus, banana or apple with peanutbutter.
    For the satisfactory feeling: any kind of vegan food with chickpeas, lots of veggies, kidneybeans and/or some couscous, brown rice, wholewheat and eggless noodles. Wok and other asian foods are nice. Indian or thai inspired curries are also great.

What I've discovered is that veggie foods (especially vegan) makes me feel full for a longer period of time without making me bloated or giving me a "heavy/drowzy" feeling. Beans, chickpeas etc are great for feeling full, and it's super cheap! They also make me feel like I'm a little healthier than I actually am hah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vonbroten)
    For energy: salad with kidneybeans, veggies with hummus, banana or apple with peanutbutter.
    For the satisfactory feeling: any kind of vegan food with chickpeas, lots of veggies, kidneybeans and/or some couscous, brown rice, wholewheat and eggless noodles. Wok and other asian foods are nice. Indian or thai inspired curries are also great.

What I've discovered is that veggie foods (especially vegan) makes me feel full for a longer period of time without making me bloated or giving me a "heavy/drowzy" feeling. Beans, chickpeas etc are great for feeling full, and it's super cheap! They also make me feel like I'm a little healthier than I actually am hah.
    I've never really enjoyed kidney beans, but I'll give it a try! I also switched from my daily consumption of rice to cous cous for a year (with occasional exceptions), but I had a bit of a rebound a few months ago. Just out of interest and for ideas, what do you eat your cous cous and eggless noodles with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire_and_ice)
    I've never really enjoyed kidney beans, but I'll give it a try! I also switched from my daily consumption of rice to cous cous for a year (with occasional exceptions), but I had a bit of a rebound a few months ago. Just out of interest and for ideas, what do you eat your cous cous and eggless noodles with?
    Kidney beans taste less like beans, and have a whole 'nother texture if you mash them and use them as an ingredient in something. My personal favourite is Minimalist Baker's "Grillable veggie burgers" (or something.) They're amazing and very quick/easy to make.
    edit: http://minimalistbaker.com/easy-gril...eggie-burgers/

I eat them with what I have at hand, to be honest. I'm one of those amateur/hobby pantry "cooks." I always try to use all my leftovers and lesser looking vegetables. Throw less food, you know?
    Usually I fry the veggies in a wok with as little oil as possible (to keep them slightly raw), broth and vegetables, in cold salads, as side dishes to warm meals etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.